Sign in to follow this  
awake

survival tips and tricks

Always wear more clothing than necessary. You can always take some off but if you are cold and you did not bring enough, you do without. Cold is not happy. Also you can get very sick and then what?....Someone eats Charms.

a few years ago i was lucky enought to be a boy scout leader that spent a week at boy scout summer camp with 18 boys. The folks running the camp told the boys about bug spray and lighters. They were told not to do what was just demonstrated. Yea right. I rounded up every can. The other troops had multiple encounters with bug spray torches.

LOL My family actually has a private campground, so my childhood summers were spent in tents and trees and near campfires. My great-aunt, who was always a little nutty, used to try to convince us not to poke sticks in the fire/test the melting temperature of various items by telling us, "Don't play in the fire - you'll wet your beds!"

Sadly, she didn't think of that until we were old enough to find it funny rather than threatening.

After all, a melted soda can looks a lot like CGI from a scene out of Terminator 2, and there are endless sticks to burn, so why wouldn't we want to let the ends glow with coals, then wave them in the air like a poor man's sparkler? Yes, looking back, I'm amazed none of us were maimed or killed... We also had a rope swing that we used that wasn't over water, but was on the top of a hill so we could swing out about 15-20 feet up - which we did not sitting on the seat, but simply hanging onto the rope with our hands for extra height/distance. And there were aluminum canoes taken out into the middle of a lake for a good view of a storm rolling in... The disastrous attempt at digging a two-story fort out of the side of a hill, resulting in the top layer diggers collapsing on top of the bottom level diggers... Acting out dares that included literally walking through the campfire...

It was heaven on earth.

chap-stick is a must. get the medicated type. works for lips. works on chaffing. put it on your eye brows and sweat rolls away from your eyes. helps lube zippers. acts as a temporary seam sealer. lubes squeaky back pack parts.

Those are a couple of cool tips awake! Thanks!

Those are a couple of cool tips awake! Thanks!

your welcome Rod.

new one for you all.

Hiking Poles.

great items. help your balance. allow you to go farther, with more gear, in less pain. Good to check the depth of a river you may want to cross. Waving them at bears to appear larger may help deter a bear attack. clicking them together scares most other wildlife. You can use them to super charge your walks by adding arm pumping. You can wrap long lengths of para-cord around them. They can be used to keep both two legged and four legged critters further than arms length away. can be used as an emergency shelter pole or replacement tent pole.Fishing pole.

take a hike, even if it is a short one, with your BOB. Get a feel for the pack weight distribution. Secure any items that move too much or swing from the pack. This will stop you from exerting extra effort to control side to side movements. Even small items make a big difference when distance from a crisis is needed.

Excelent Awake..

for me also knowing my limits..and dry feet makes the list.I hate that copper taste..ewwwwwww

lol

not meaning to rain on anyones parade,but copper is a basic metal that the ancients used for pain relief.so please be kind to copper when complaining.lol

A little something I learned in the Army: Clean up your campsite!

Not just because it's nice for nature and all that, but because in an actual bugout situation where you may want to avoid people, trash can reveal a lot about your level of supply and moral.

If I'm walking around the woods after some major event and I find a day old fire pit with MRE bags around it and cigarette butts everywhere, I know for a fact that whoever was there is well supplied and more than likely has high moral. People I either want to avoid or (if I was an unprepared, ill-moraled person, which I am not) want to steal from.

That same pit, however, that was buried so I can't really tell how old it is as well with no garbage around will only tell me about how many people were there if they left enough damage to the topsoil or foilage. A lot less tempting target since I don't even know if they have anything (from a raider mindset).

I find it's best to always do this even just for your typical camping trip. first of all it's a really nice gesture for the next people and secondly, it's a good way to build the habit!

Just my two cents!

Edited by TurboTed

every time you are getting ready to use your gear check the zippers and buckles. Make sure the zippers glide well and dont snag. Check those plastic buckles for signs of wear and fatigue. Replace them now. Screwed up zippers and buckles will dampen your experiences.

While you don't want to over-pack, it's worth taking extras of a few things that are crucial for survival. Examples:

* Don't head out with just one set of matches or a lighter - have at least a few ways to start a fire, in case something gets damaged/wet.

* Have a good knife in your EDC, but also have a solid back-up in your BOB.

* Keep foodstuffs in more than one container.

* If you haven't taken your planned route before, familiarize yourself with maps of the area PRIOR TO hiking in the middle of it (so you have a functional map in hand but also functional maps in HEAD to help you stay on course).

CONDOMS the non lubricated kind. they are not just for safe sex they are for a million things. but remember petrol chem and latex do not mix. and well who knows some one my get lucky out there and ya dont want to have to add a little complication to things.

CONDOMS the non lubricated kind. they are not just for safe sex they are for a million things. but remember petrol chem and latex do not mix. and well who knows some one my get lucky out there and ya dont want to have to add a little complication to things.

I believe I did a thread about them hut but thanks for bringing it back lol

Just came back from a 14 mile hike.

1. Invest in good footwear. Light and waterproof with minimum internal movement. Spend the extra money!

2. Take precautions and place band aids or some extra layer of protection wherever you foot tends to rub. This will save your foot from excruciating pain later on. This is especially true on long hikes.

3. When planning hiking trips or some distance traveling, work your way up in length so you know your limits and don't find yourself in a situation where you can't make it back because you traveled too far.

4. Long sleeve shirts and pants are a must no matter what the whether is. DO NOT go into the wilderness with shorts. You have no idea how many critters there are.

5. Music playing on your phone or some small device may boost morale while traveling (assuming you don't need to hide from anyone)

6. Always have a flashlight.

7. Get a HAM radio or some sort of device for emergency communication. Cell phones don't work everywhere.

Hey exit, get some women nylons, knee high, for friction reduction in your boots. They really do work and have an additional wicking effect.

I have hiking socks. I wear two pairs but sometimes its not enough. If you walk far enough you'll get chaffing. My girl discovered some bandage thing you can buy at Target from 3M that works like a charm for protecting your skin from chaffing while wearing boots. I told her to post it on here under gear review. It's worth every penny. Of course, you have to know beforehand what part of the foot gets chaffing. This means you should have some experience walking shorter distances with particular boots and already know where the chaffing tends to occur.

We will both be adding this 3M product to our GHBs.

Back in the day when we had the old black leather boots which were notorious foot eaters I wore the nylons over my socks on long marches. These days I don't have feet so much as talons from all the years of being hard on them, but with a properly fitting pair of boots that are broken in you shouldn't have much if any chaffing, at least not with the modern offerings in the shoe/boot department. As an aside duct tape work pretty well to counter chafing as well if push comes to shove.

Follow Don's law ...Murphy was a optimist. No matter what $100 gadget you think will save your a$$, it will probably be a $2 item that does. At some point you will have to realize that you cant pack for everything, and count on the greatest survival tool of all, knowledge (and/or duct tape)

New to forum.....Just wanted to introduce.

I have found on my travels around the world....

A great First Aid Kit with "extra goodies" helps as well. Never know when

You're going to have to down a Tylenol or use a stitch. What

You use to numb yourself is up to you. Good luck!

J

I have hiking socks. I wear two pairs but sometimes its not enough. If you walk far enough you'll get chaffing. My girl discovered some bandage thing you can buy at Target from 3M that works like a charm for protecting your skin from chaffing while wearing boots. I told her to post it on here under gear review. It's worth every penny. Of course, you have to know beforehand what part of the foot gets chaffing. This means you should have some experience walking shorter distances with particular boots and already know where the chaffing tends to occur.

We will both be adding this 3M product to our GHBs.

Sounds like a product called 'mole skin'. Used on orbit to keep the suits from chaffing. (Suit has no weight but stiff as all get out when inflated)

For possible sources look at

https://www.google.com/search?q=mole+skin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

If you find yourself lost, Stop.

Your mind will race with all kinds of things.

For just a minute try to clear your head. yes it is not easy under pressure but

Chances are you will make a better decision when you are calm and not panicking.

1. Never but never walk while using a q-tip to clean your ears.

2. bury your excrement it draws flies and is the first thing you will step in when trying to pee at night.

3.if you snore your not OPSEC so get one of those mouth guard anti snoring gizzies.

4.a sleeping bag is called a fart sack for a reason coughing and gagging not OPSEC.

5. do not tell your wife you used her tampon for catfish bait unless you want to wear

her portion of catfish.

6.sound carries over water very well so making out next to the water or in a boat not OPSEC.

7.don't ask don't tell what you do after you use the last of the toilet paper.

8. most women take "heads up" as exactly that and the limb you let go of will hit them between the eyes.

9. Should you get involved in a heated argument close your eyes and count to 10 open your eyes if your

alone you have been out in the field too long or they are really fast.

10. the secret to being a good leader is to make the other think they are.

Sounds like a product called 'mole skin'. Used on orbit to keep the suits from chaffing. (Suit has no weight but stiff as all get out when inflated)

For possible sources look at

https://www.google.com/search?q=mole+skin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Very similar! A little cheaper though (About $4).

Its a good idea to carry (just-in-case) and I'm sure it has multiple uses. DonDon made a very good point. Something cheap could save your butt.