Sign in to follow this  
Schoeny

COOK BOOK - Recipes, cooking styles, cusines any food related items

I thought that perhaps a sub-forum for recipes would be nice. Ive seen several posted that I think are excellent, and the sub forum would just make it easier to find these recipes.

I leave it up to the mods as to whether or not they think this would actually be a good idea or not, lol.

I've been requested to open a forum where we can post our various recipes and hints and tips for cooking. Anytime you have a recipe for a forum, please duplicate it here, or post it here and link to it from where you were going to post it.

If you try one of these recipes, please let us know how it works out for you.

Alright, here's one I picked up from my great grandfather, some may not care for it, but it will put some food in you, and if things are bad enough that's what counts.

1-raccoon

2-cup wild raspberries (approx)

1-stick

1-fire

Preparing a raccoon to eat is similar to most small game. Use the peel method for removing the hide so that it comes off like a tube sock after removing the head, and paws (to prevent anything on their fur from contaminating the meat with an off taste). Remove organs (I personally don't eat coon organs so have no idea which ones are edible). Remove the scent glands between the legs and in the small of the back.

Trim the fat, as much as you can, the fat is anything but tasty on a raccoon and the more you remove the less greasy it turns out (Raccoon can be very greasy depending on cook method, if available giving the meat an initial boil will remove a lot of the grease which you could float for other purposes). Butcher to your particular style of game processing, I've simple quartered it before, although my great grandfather would spit the whole carcass minus the head and paws.

Grind your berries into a paste (I've used other berries before when found, but the areas I frequent have a lot of raspberries so that's what I'm using for this recipe.) Use a bit of water if the berries aren't particularly juicy, you want your past to be just short of gel in consistency.

Put your wad-o-coon on a stick smear with berry paste and lean over the fire. If the meat wasn't previously boiled show cook the meat in a cooler spot to sweat out all the grease. If it was previously boiled place the meat over a moderately hot area. Turn frequently, remove from heat when when it has stopped dripping and is uniformly dark through the large muscle groups.

Can feed four depending on the size of your racoon.

Guest survival101

We picked up a Vintage Rodale Press Natural Cookbook or some such today. It had recipes for all the good parts, brains, tongue, liver. Stir fried Liver. Yum.

Guest survival101

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir11.html

okay, skip the oven part and just fry the hail out of it.

Chicken Fried Squirrel

Our thanks to Bryon Portz for sending in this recipe.

~ quartered and cleaned squirrels, 1 per person

~ buttermilk

~ OldBay seasoning

~ flour

~ salt & pepper

~ shortening

Soak your meat for at least an hour in buttermilk.

Combine the flour & OldBay until you can see the flour turn light pink. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste.

Heat up your shortening to 375 degrees in a iron skillet or deep fryer deep enough to cover the meat.

Roll or shake your meat in the flour mix and fry until the coating is golden brown.

Take it out and place it on a rack to drain. Place it in your oven for about 1/2 hour at 275 degrees.

Serve and Enjoy!

Cajun Gumbo my version and no one has left the table hungry.....

5 to 6 quart pot with lid

left over chicken, sausage or shrimp I use all three.....

a chicken breast or 2 frozen halves and cut into chunks

1 link about a pound of link sausage

1 pound of shrimp about

any of these can be used alone or excluded dependent on your liking...

olive oil and butter about a tablespoon + of each enough to brown vegetables below

chop 1 bell pepper,1 onion 1 or 2 cloves garlic, 1 cup of celery or a teaspoon of celery seed {add seed after browning vegies}

and cook till onion is clear throw in uncooked chicken first and cook

until browned/ cooked.

now throw in the sausage if not cooked cook until done pull it off the fire.

NOW make the roux easy as can be.

in a small DRY pan take 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour and use a spatula and

under medium heat keep stirring until white flour is brown light to medium brown.

now add enough butter to make your ROUX, no dry flour but not too soupy and no lumps.

your pot of cooked ingredients has had time to meld flavors add water to about half full

add in the roux this is a thickening ingredient.

Add a can or small frozen bag or box of okra or fresh okra sliced do not de seed but no stems.

and a big can of chopped tomatoes.

now you YANKEES may have a problem finding gumbo file' pronounced "FEE LAY"

this is the dried leaves from a sassafras tree here is a link

http://www.spiceplace.com/mccormick-gumbo-file.php

It takes as much as it takes to make it how you like it I use about 2 to 3 tablespoons.

and season it with Tony Chachere's some say sacharies I say "sa shar ies" creole seasoning

to your liking this can add a lot of salt so be easy with it and keep tasting.

most any Creole seasoning will work.

cook until the okra seeds are floating around {at least an hour and can be cooked for a few hours

keep an eye so it does not go dry} keep it wet like a medium stew.

about the last 5 minutes put in your shrimp remove any shell or tail and deviened.

if fresh as soon as it turns white throughout its done, if frozen make sure it is hot throughout.

to cook REAL rice not minute rice or bag rice

take 1 measure of rice and double the water and a pinch of salt do not stir makes the rice starchy

bring to a boil and immediately cut the burner to very low / simmer and cover look at the time

in 15 minutes remove the lid with a fork or spoon pry a small hole to the bottom of the pan

if there is water cover and check again in 2 minutes until no water is seen and it is done.

I take a cup and a bit of olive oil and lube the inside pack with rice and turn it into the center

of a large bowl surround with gumbo serve with garlic bread.

another option you can toss in a cup to 1 1/2 cup of rice into the gumbo while bubbling and cover

in 15 to 20 minutes check the rice is done then add the shrimp for 5 + minutes

shrimp over cooked is rubbery or tough and not as good as perfectly done

now you be a GUMBO master.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

My favorite recipe from Girl Scouts was a breakfast casserole:

Catastrophe

• Take sausage (link or ground; if link, slice after cooking), cook it in a skillet with deep sides, set it aside.
  • Cook lightly salted hashbrowns in the same skillet until they turn brown.
  • Add sausage again and top with scrambled eggs, season to your taste.
  • If you want it, add shredded cheese.
  • Continue cooking until eggs are firm.

Super-easy, so yummy.

Another variation is a way to extend eggs for a group, something my dad came up with.

Dad's Special Eggs

• Scramble a dozen eggs or more.
  • Add 1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup.
  • Add 2 Tbsp to 1/2 cup of your favorite condiments and seasonings, such as: salsa, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, mayo, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper. All of it is to taste, and I recommend yellow mustard and mayo in particular for color/texture. Be sparing with W. sauce, but it is quite rich done this way.
  • Cook in skillet, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked through.

Amazingly, this actually can cook well in a microwave if you keep it to a medium temperature and monitor it closely, using a spatula to blend in the eggs that fluff up the sides - the eggs don't turn rubbery because of the soup.

Edited by oregonchick
formatting glitch

Cajun Gumbo my version and no one has left the table hungry.....

5 to 6 quart pot with lid

left over chicken, sausage or shrimp I use all three.....

a chicken breast or 2 frozen halves and cut into chunks

1 link about a pound of link sausage

1 pound of shrimp about

any of these can be used alone or excluded dependent on your liking...

olive oil and butter about a tablespoon + of each enough to brown vegetables below

chop 1 bell pepper,1 onion 1 or 2 cloves garlic, 1 cup of celery or a teaspoon of celery seed {add seed after browning vegies}

and cook till onion is clear throw in uncooked chicken first and cook

until browned/ cooked.

now throw in the sausage if not cooked cook until done pull it off the fire.

NOW make the roux easy as can be.

in a small DRY pan take 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour and use a spatula and

under medium heat keep stirring until white flour is brown light to medium brown.

now add enough butter to make your ROUX, no dry flour but not too soupy and no lumps.

your pot of cooked ingredients has had time to meld flavors add water to about half full

add in the roux this is a thickening ingredient.

Add a can or small frozen bag or box of okra or fresh okra sliced do not de seed but no stems.

and a big can of chopped tomatoes.

now you YANKEES may have a problem finding gumbo file' pronounced "FEE LAY"

this is the dried leaves from a sassafras tree here is a link

http://www.spiceplace.com/mccormick-gumbo-file.php

It takes as much as it takes to make it how you like it I use about 2 to 3 tablespoons.

and season it with Tony Chachere's some say sacharies I say "sa shar ies" creole seasoning

to your liking this can add a lot of salt so be easy with it and keep tasting.

most any Creole seasoning will work.

cook until the okra seeds are floating around {at least an hour and can be cooked for a few hours

keep an eye so it does not go dry} keep it wet like a medium stew.

about the last 5 minutes put in your shrimp remove any shell or tail and deviened.

if fresh as soon as it turns white throughout its done, if frozen make sure it is hot throughout.

to cook REAL rice not minute rice or bag rice

take 1 measure of rice and double the water and a pinch of salt do not stir makes the rice starchy

bring to a boil and immediately cut the burner to very low / simmer and cover look at the time

in 15 minutes remove the lid with a fork or spoon pry a small hole to the bottom of the pan

if there is water cover and check again in 2 minutes until no water is seen and it is done.

I take a cup and a bit of olive oil and lube the inside pack with rice and turn it into the center

of a large bowl surround with gumbo serve with garlic bread.

another option you can toss in a cup to 1 1/2 cup of rice into the gumbo while bubbling and cover

in 15 to 20 minutes check the rice is done then add the shrimp for 5 + minutes

shrimp over cooked is rubbery or tough and not as good as perfectly done

now you be a GUMBO master.

Snake,

You owe me a keyboard. I just drooled at your gumbo and ruined the keyboard. LOL There should be a show like Top Chef but it should be Doomsday prepper Chef.

You would be a natural.

Here is one I really am looking forward to trying that I read

Willow woven trout

Take fresh caught cleaned trout, as in start the fire before you cast, and using green willow branches weave a fish basket( if you ever played with willow branches as a kid you will figure it out pretty quickly) around them season by laying thinly sliced whole peel on lemon or bacon on both sides of fish before weaving them in cook over hot coals not to close or the willow will over dry and burn( duh) eat the fish and throw the dish in the fire .......but then again fresh caught trout is good any way you can cook it!

DonDon & ricksconnected

amen to that one double "D"

we used to fish the Hells canyon reservoir up in Oregon and others

using alder, apple, ash or maple wood this is the wood to smoke with.

make a tent from limbs cover with long grass or

boughs of dense enough to slow smoke transmission but not of a type that is not tasty or poisonous.

Eviscerate / gut and remove vent & blood along the back bone leave head and skin on.

soak in salt water or dust with fine salt inside.

{forgot} need to place a small stick to keep the fish open to allow smoke

to permeate cavity.

I weave a green GOOD WOOD not poison through under lip in thin web

like stringing them and a small stick to keep them open.

you can weave a flat support and lay fish on it keep it in the top of the

"tent" and not directly under the fire again were smoking not cooking.

I semi block both ends and keep a fire about the size of a plate and feed it with dampened slivers but not large pieces.

too hot up to 200 deg your smoking not cooking, hang fish by the head and keep under smoke for

4 to 6 hours at least.

allow to air dry for a while till air temp and keep cool which ain't hard in Oregon

put in a brown paper bag roll up and clip put in refrigerator

done this with catfish perch bass crappie etc.

great for any meal

Edited by juzcallmesnake

dove, Pigeon, robin red breast, sparrow etc

pluck the feathers check for pin feathers scrape out with a knife or use tweezers.

use fire to remove fine hairs open at bottom of breast bone to vent with knife edge up away from

gut.

think of a whole chicken it is similar.

remove intestines / organs lungs check for any worms or irregular lesions or spots.

open heart check inside for worms if none it is edible remove feet and head wash if you can.

now that it is eviscerated and clean separate the skin from the breast and use whatever spices

you like between the skin and breast some imitation bacon bits in the breast cavity.

make a tee pee out of good wood or a rock box back top a small gap to allow heat to pass through

build a fire in the mouth of it this is your oven

smoker put your bird on a stick and suspend inside about 3/4 of the way up it should take 30 minutes

to cook a small animal make sure it is done uncooked meat is number 1 cause of intestinal worms

and the bad taste will ruin a good meal.

If near a river you can make a mud tortilla and let it set up a bit but damp enough to mold around

animal like a fruit pie pinch edges so drippings do not escape put in fire coals and after it becomes

hard and when tapped make a tick sound.

rice is a good filler as well as grits and should be considered as pack food.

in survival situations DO NOT EAT BONES OF SMALL ANIMALS, choking is a sure way to die or injure your

mouth throat and in a bad situation you know murphy is on the job.

bone marrow of large animals needs to be well cooked and I do not eat brains you can but make sure

they are well well done.

Real corn bread

3/4 cup cornmeal

1 1/4 cup milk

1 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 egg

1/4 cup oil or bacon grease / fat

optional 1/3 cup sugar

400 degrees for 30 to 40 min when top pressed with fingers in pops back or the knife / toothpick test.

can be made in a 8 inch cast iron pan with or without lid double for larger pan size

there are 3 3/4 cups of cornmeal to a pound now you know why prepping is important

a 5gallon bucket full of cornmeal like any other flour or grain needs to be frozen for 10 days

to kill all weevils or bug eggs then it need to be placed in a mylar bag can be bought from

www.beprepared.com

brig grain out of the freezer and allow to set 2 days on counter to return to room temp

remove from original bags and place in mylar bag twist tight and fold over and tie to prevent

ants especially but other bugs also and put in bucket mylar resists oxygen and the bucket prevents

damage to mylar bag.

all items like

baking soda

cocoa powder --- for chocolate drink and cakes pies etc.

coffee even if you don't drink it it is a great trade item vacuum sealed bags like a brick are best

corn meal

cream of wheat

grits

flour

oatmeal

potato flakes

salt

sugar

Tea in family or individual bags another good trade item

tobacco trade and insecticide and numerous other uses.

brown sugar

rice

powdered eggs for cooking / baking are absolutely necessary fresh eggs are hard to come by

a fresh egg is not more than 10 to 20 days old depending very much on outside temp.

and during molt chickens will not lay and animals love eggs and chickens so a devastating

attack in one night can wipe you out a coon or snake can enter through a hole from 1 inch

to the size of your fist.

dogs and coyotes and many others can dig under overnight and kill all your stock

killing your best layer or only rooster your going to have a hard time, because eggs are binders in all

baking flat breads are great but many call for grease and unless your rendering a home grown hog

as wild hogs have little or foul tasting fat your screwed.

cooking oil goes rancid quick as does grease.

here is a link I would copy and print the information egg substitutes have odd tastes or make goods

rubber like or can cause gas and intestinal discomfort or other unknown events

cooking without oil and baking powder, baking soda and all the spices we take for granted

will be lousy tasting food.

certain plants and herbs are only available during a sliver of time through the year.

I have tried to explain that we live in a just in time world after the shelve are emptied

the spices and sugars and grains will not be coming it takes 18 wheelers to transport grain

to the silos and mills without power or fuel even with it if it costs more then your food will cost more.

and 75 to 90% of everything we use is imported or transported from over 1000 miles away.

Salt the most common of elements is impossible to find in the wild and if there is a track of it

you can bet it will be guarded as it worth it's weight in gold.

Back to why we prep is if you do not have it there wont be any