Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

New Garden for the season

So I haven't had a real garden for years since I lived at home with my parents. It was easier then because we had the land to do so but now I live in town and don't have the best set up( like most people) So I am setting up a garden in a 25ft long by 5ft wide section of my backyard. i realize that this is probably bigger than most people have but my goal is to maximize space and grow up as much as possible. Ive started this project today and will add pictures tomorrow and will do so each step of the way. I thought it would be fun to be able to see the whole process and thought you guys and gals might enjoy it as well. I'm also looking for your comments and thought on the project as I go along. Time to grow!

YA TINDER..Time to get in the dirt!!!!are you doing it by the square foot?In section? with only 5 ft wide that gives you 20inchs between the 2 rows if you have a 10inch border..

What kind of plants??

are you growing from seed???

can you get some manure??

Its on brother..LMAO

Guest kevin

wtg wolf. nothing like it. both fulfilling AND filling. if you go heirloom it's harder, but you never have to buy seeds again. get a couple of rabbits and fertilizer isn't an issue, plus it adds protein to the program.

my potatoes,snow peas, and onions are going strong.....just waiting till after easter to plant the rest.

not sure of your climate but here its a bit late for snow peas(who'd of thought they like it cold) but it's almost time for black eyed and purple hulls.

OK so I got it tilled and the chicken wire set up. Almost ready to plant tomorrow.....right now I'm having trouble making the pictures small enough to upload right now so hopefully ill get them up soon. I wish they wouldn't have a limit on the size of pictures you can upload...how can a picture be larger than some of the videos on the site????

Being good tenants of our apartments, our landlord lets us use all the space thats supposed to be shared with the other people or paid for, for gardening. Its a really acceptable idea to some people other then preppers, if you offer to do it free some people will let you use there property, small towns do this too but I don't like involving the government. Anyways, were starting ours too, need non GMO seeds next time though, my mom buys from wal-mart and I doubt its heirloom.

Guest kevin

do to the fact i work with heavy equipment i have access to an unlimited supply of 5 gallon buckets(old hydraulic oil buckets) i plant my tomatoes and peppers in them. they grow very well in them and its easy to weed and apply that prefect amount of fertilizer. last year i grew squash in them they did well also.

Garden started with the hothouse starter plants have I have

please ignore the date this camera eats batteries like a dog eats cat turds.

I am not going to waste 2 AA batteries on setting the date stamp

hot house Romaine lettuce far corner are lemon tree seedlings.

30 Cherokee purple tomatoes and 30 rutgers

2 bonne bell peppers green 1 big berth 2 red bell peppers

12 okra plants 6 yellow squash 40 onions 16 yard long beans

and I need to re-pot this bad boy need to break out the welding gloves.

We grow lemons and key lime trees also and I need to get

some more grapes as a over zealous yard man weed killed them.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I'm a bit envious of all your gardens. I'm not doing anything this year, as I'll be having surgery in just under three weeks. I'll drool just thinking about your fresh tomatoes and cukes and beans and squash.

We have a small farmer's market here on Thursdays during growing season. Do any of you sell your excess, either in markets or side-of-the-road stands? One old man on one of the roads to Fort Hood said he makes enough to pay for his store-bought groceries, which he figures is pretty good for a couple hours sitting out by his house 3 or 4 days a week.

NanaQuilts

it is only a foot in diameter I have them in 18 gallon pots around the windows and I still have to be careful

with welding gloves the spines have a rearward facing ridge of spines on the edges and when thy go in

they do not like to come out without leaving the tip and fester in hours and burn like crazy.

they overgrow pots in a couple of years and you split the plants and start a new one or two.

this stujff makes barbwire look friendly it does not grow no where as large as yucca cactus but looks

a lot like it. the flowers to the left are from a aloe vera plant.

My plan I have enough tires to build a bullet proof barrier and then plant my cactus into them with rebar

to keep it from being tipped around my windows and other sensitive areas.

this is my retirement subsidy plan is sell plants and tomatoes the rest is for

us we use a lot of okra and yellow squash and the cucumbers are for

pickling I am experimenting with yard long beans this year.

we go through 2 gallons of picante' sauce a year and we make our own.

all my garden in potted no ground garden I am not fighting weeds

and grass and bending and weeding is not my idea of fun

just have to keep the proper minerals on the particular plants.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Snake, they look a lot like the century plant I used to have in a big pot. Those had nasty little (or not-so-little) barbs that festered, too. Yours look bigger than a foot across, but lack of perspective explains that. They'd be a nice little deterrent.

I've never tried the yard-long beans, but I've seen them online. I hope you'll let us know how they do and how they taste.

I usually have tomatoes and squash and cukes, sometimes some beans, mostly for our own use, although I have shared at work. Like you, I much prefer pots and very raised beds. Ever since my back surgery, bending over is just plain no fun. I've always had pretty good luck with the pots.

NanaQuilts

You got that right back is not what it once was so I considered raised bed and then I found a source for

these 15 and 5 gallon used landscapers pots.

we were talking scars at the V.A. 12 more inches from the non surgical and I will have literally

been split in 2 but then the surgical do not look as good as the non surgical I do prettier work LOL

it looks like I will have a minor surgery in a moth or two that is fine by me it will be too hot to go out

except during late afternoon or evening.

if the yard long beans are good I will let you know this is my first rodeo with them also....

actually the cactus in the pic is a agave but when you strangle it in a pot it will keep a reduced size

if I were to let it grow it would go to 8 foot in diameter and 8 foot tall take a while but this ground

is way more fertile than south Texas area were I had them.

so I keep them contained I may corner my property with them or do a fence line out front just for grins

hell I got good insurance let them hop the fence LOL

Dad burn JCMS..you got a jump on me..lol

but Im the earlyest in my area and the local Farm store is getting pissed about me asking about when the sweet Potatos are coming in...lol...

I will have my white spuds in on Good friday..

101MATT

we are south of you and the weather was good so I figured may as well get started it did not look like

any freak cold patterns coming in.

plants would have been bigger but got a late start was increasing the size

of the green house it was 8x10 when i finish it will be 20x 24 I am going to

keep them separate just in case of some storm or mishap.

my wood heater will keep them warm as it does not get that cold here

for that long.

I am hoping we continue to get rain last year was hell drought and intense sun was hard on the garden.

going to plant some Vietnamese Opo Squash weird smell / fragrance kinda stinky the leaves are like velvet.

and some loofah or Chinese okra I let these grow out to full size and you get a loofah and scavenge

the seeds or pick them before they reach 6 inches and they taste like okra.taste great fried.

I like the unusual and exotic as well as my comfort foods taters are too work intensive and not expensive

enough yet

I did not plant any this year but I love Lima beans cooked w/ bacon.

well I am hopping to sell my New Zealand & Californian rabbits this week at the sale

and some checkered giants the mamma we call spot {not unique} anyhow she is a fantastic mamma

but she is mean as sh*t, the rest are easy to handle

or I have to go caveman on them and put them in the freezer.

If I get happy I will go take some pics of them.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Guest kevin

blue tips and golioth eh snake? had blue tips.....heat of this past summer got them....need to pick up some more....know of a breed that can handle 112 degrees?

planted half the bucket garden today.(48 tomatoes, half those heirloom....bunch of different kinds of peppers) plant the rest tomorrow.......btw wal-mart has heirloom tomatoes now....homestead ....plants not seeds. i have to wait til i harvest the early garden to plant my summer one....gonna try the "three sisters" this year.(corn with peas planted along side and squash as ground cover.....old indian garden...dunno maybe the young ones did it too.lol)

kevin

they may look like blue tips but they are Californians the pure white New Zealand and the spotted are

checkered giants and they handle the heat as long as they have a fan and plenty of water

on real hot days i put a 2 liter of frozen water in their cage and they lay against them.

they are sterile during the hot months as soon as October comes around time to start breeding them

again.