Sign in to follow this  
awake

Kershaw Whiplash 4355 review

post-1355-13851497883703_thumb.jpg.jpg]I don’t know about you but if I find a place that has a knife I can’t walk away without handling it. I could and have spent hours in a good knife store. I don’t feel as if I am an expert in knifes but I know what I like especially if it’s in my hand. Kershaw is a name in knifes that I have grown to love. I own several of their knives.

Today I had the chance to take the Kershaw Whiplash to task. I decided on a nice hike to try it out. I started with a downed log about two feet in diameter. I drove the Kershaw into the log and was able to bury half of the 4.5 inch blade into the wood. Looking around I found a good BFR (big fine rock) and pounded the rest of the blade into the log. So far so good. Knife was still intact. I started to work the knife back and forth and side to side. After about three minutes I had the four foot log into two pieces. Next I spent several minutes chopping at the one piece to get a good feel for how the blade cut and how the handle felt. The blade remained very sharp. The handle never slipped in my hand. Given the humidity and sweat this was outstanding in my opinion. I cut several vines as well. After returning to my truck I found some notebook paper and was able to produce some nice clean cuts the whole length of the page.

This knife is about nine inches long with a 4.5 inch blade. Full tang. It has a built in para cord lanyard that wraps around you wrist. The large index finger notch, thumb notches on the back and textured nylon handle make for a secure grip. Comes with a nice sheath with thumb break security strap. The more a work with this knife the more I love it. If I were ever in a bad situation, I would not even have a second thought about this nice knife’s ability to perform.

I would give this knife a 9.6 out of 10. If it had a kydex sheath it would be a 10.

Edited by awake

Thanks for the post Awake you caught my attenion on this good looking knife so I went looking on the net to find me one, Found them on Ebay for $26.00 I ordered 2 of them, cant wait until they arrive one for the BOB and and one for the GMHB

Glad you liked the review. This is not my only survival fixed blade but it is a very good one. I just want the knife in my hand to be able to take a licking and still keep going. WSHTF you never know what you will have to work with.

Bought this knife in sevierville tn at smoky mountain knife works(love that place). I think i paid under 30 bucks for it. worth every penny.

Awake thanks for the review, very nicely done! Im curious what kind of knife you would recommend in the ~$50 price range that does come with a kydex sheath. Im in the market for a good solid one for my BoB, and I have very limited experience with good solid full tang fixed blades. I grew up on cheap locking folders for farm work since they got abused badly and frequently broke, buying a quality knife wasnt really in the cards.

-edit to add- Im thinking I want a bigger blade though, something in the 6-7 inch range.

Edited by Schoeny

Awake thanks for the review, very nicely done! Im curious what kind of knife you would recommend in the ~$50 price range that does come with a kydex sheath. Im in the market for a good solid one for my BoB, and I have very limited experience with good solid full tang fixed blades. I grew up on cheap locking folders for farm work since they got abused badly and frequently broke, buying a quality knife wasnt really in the cards.

-edit to add- Im thinking I want a bigger blade though, something in the 6-7 inch range.

Ontario® Marine Combat- U.S. Military Issue about 49.99 with 7 inch blade. Doesn't have a kydex sheath

just a warning.... any blade over six inches is harder to do more complex and detail work with. a lot of injuries come from a larger than needed blade. I haven't found any task that i cant perform with a 4.5 inch blade. The control is better. But that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.