Sign in to follow this  
canibuyavowel

How do I find people like me

All you strange people had me going until I looked up SCA - I assume you mean

http://www.sca.org/

Per the website

The Society for Creative Anachronism:

The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more.”

Kinda cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes Capt, we are talking about the Society for Creative Anacronism, or SCA for short. Mostly medieval re-enactment, which maybe doesnt sound very prepper-ish at first, until you look at some of the skills they practice. If your preparing for just a short term event it is probably not for you, bit if you think a TEOTWAWKI event is possible, a -lot- of the old skills would be useful again.

The SCA actually covers the dark ages, from 500 to 1500 AD, anything inbetween is fair game. Some of the people would use black powder...one of the guys in our group actually had a small cannon <shrug>.

There is a sci-fi/fantasy series by John Ringo 'There will be Dragons' I believe was the title...

The characters (secondary ones) who prosper more are the ones who were SCA types because they used the skills from their hobby to help them survive after TEOTWAWKI.

Things you can learn?

We learned how to make our own beer.

One of the guys had a forge and some of us learned how to make knives

We had someone who could teach you archery (using the old style bows and crossbows)

We had a cooking guild who practiced cooking "period" types of food. Because after some point your spices will be limited as will baking soda and such.

If you ignore the more pompus people it can be fun.

Edited by vonBayern
clarity

Guest kevin

sounds like a blast.....pompus people can just go hit a ball with a crooked stick in a cow pasture, thats real useful.