Sign in to follow this  
PatzerDave

Knife Rights Drawing

I guess I'm just an ignorant Texan. Are they trying to take the knives away in some places!!!??? I can't just casually carry a sword or anything but a sheath or folding knife with a blade less than 5 1/2" is ok to wear or carry to Church.

I live in California and my understanding was that carrying a pocket knife was okay if the blade wasn't longer than 3 1/2". I asked a local Sheriff Deputy if this was true. He told me that pocket knives of any size are actually illegal because they are concealed,(a felony). However, this is something that is usually overlooked. He said that it depends on who you are,(or how you appear) and is up to the discretion of the LEO. I've never had any problems but I've had a co-worker that has had a couple knives confiscated,(but that was the extent of it). Any knife worn on the belt is okay but might draw some unwanted attention.

As far as this website goes I just saw a link to this drawing. I figured I could give them $20 for a chance to win a nice knife. If I don't win anything at least it's a good cause.

Edited by PatzerDave

Ummm...last I heard here in Texas, if its a folder, blade limit is 4" or less. For a sheath knife it was a 5" blade.

Don't think the fixed blade limit applys to people camping and such, but I can't swear to it. Maybe one of the LEOs here can clarify.

I guess I'm just an ignorant Texan. Are they trying to take the knives away in some places!!!??? I can't just casually carry a sword or anything but a sheath or folding knife with a blade less than 5 1/2" is ok to wear or carry to Church.

Yes the knifes rights are the next thing to be attacked after guns. It is 4'' or less for legal length around my parts. They are jerks about it too, had a cop steal my butterfly knife on a routine stop(rolled stop sign or something), and yes it is still stealing even if they have a uniform.

If cops don't know the law then that doesn't really help you. In California concealed fixed blades are illegal, a hand full of other types of knifes are illegal. Short answer if it folds it's fine. If it doesn't then open carry in a sheath.

Long answer is well written with penal code cited here http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

Good article, thanks. I guess just asking someone who you think should know isn't good enough. You have to look into things and learn for yourself.

Wait a sec, are you telling my California is more knife friendly then Texas? We live in a strange world when the most gun friendly state is harder on knifes then one of the least gun friendly states. :P

How true!

I didn't know any states had any restrictions like that.

Ummm...last I heard here in Texas, if its a folder, blade limit is 4" or less. For a sheath knife it was a 5" blade.

Don't think the fixed blade limit applys to people camping and such, but I can't swear to it. Maybe one of the LEOs here can clarify.

I was surprised but it is 5 1/2 inches now in fact I have been looking for a 5 1/2" assisted opener

to replace my smith & wesson knife.

And do not discount PatzerDave's answer as it does and could bring up a legal issue somewhere

and Auto is right also "carry it OPEN in a sheath"

I hate ambiguity in laws It is purposely worded to entrap the ignorant or those who cannot afford

a lawyer or to harass a group how in any period of time becomes unpopular or problematic

and as we see today decent people seem to be a target of ire today..

diabloiiiitems,

I'm a bit of an ancient pelican but your post seemed completely off topic. In truth, it seemed to be about a video game and I frankly didn't understand the intent of the message. It may have been your account was spammed or it was posted in the wrong forum. Please verify and contact me by private message if I've deleted it in error.

Yes the knifes rights are the next thing to be attacked after guns. It is 4'' or less for legal length around my parts. They are jerks about it too, had a cop steal my butterfly knife on a routine stop(rolled stop sign or something), and yes it is still stealing even if they have a uniform.

In Missouri butterfly, switchblades, and trench knifes (because brass knuckles as well) are all weapons felonys and here as well if It in your pocket it's concealed and technically illegal. A folder with a clip on your pocket is not a concealed weapon, if you can see the clip then you should assume that there's is a knife attached, or at least that is what we learned in my CCW class

Edited by DonDon

Leo .... have any weapons on you? "I am one." Leo ...this pocket knife is illegal. "Yes and this finger in you eye and elbow in your adams' apple is my response to your ignorance. I am the weapon .... everything else is a tool."