Sign in to follow this  
NightOwl

"The Gun You Wish You Hadn't Sold!"

I have owned dozens of guns in my life, and they kind of come and go- sometimes I trade them, sometimes I need the cash.

What gun do wish you hadn't sold?

I REALLY liked my DS Arms FAL Paratrooper in .308!!!

post-1995-13851497883291_thumb.jpg

I'm more of a modern arms guy myself, but when I was much younger I happened across an older gentleman at a gun show trying to sell a battered old fashioned rifle. The price was fifty dollars, which happened to be how much I had in my pocket. So with a handshake we traded what was in our hands and I took home what at the time looked like an odd musket like rifle with an octagonal barrel. It sat in the corner of my gun room for about a week until I had a friend over with an out of town cousin.

When the cousin laid eyes on the rifle he asked me about it, and when I told him I knew nothing about it he immediately offered me 200.00 bucks for it. I foolishly accepted, and within 12 hours it was about a thousand miles away from me. I would later come to find out that it was a Sharps Falling block.... I kick myself every time I think about it.

I've wanted one every since, just haven't found the right one.

A what?

lol, don't worry that could've happened to anyone... (I have never heard of it)

Wasn't that the rifle Morgan Freeman carried in Unforgiven?

Edit:

Nope- I was wrong Morgan had a Spencer rifle!!!

Edited by NightOwl

too many to mention

FN 30-11 complete w/ schmidt & bender 4 x scope

Colt silver star

Colt Ace

Astra model 600 in 9MM

Browning competition

A Clark 38 spl wad cutter only O frame colt target

a pair of colt pythons consecutive serial numbers

BM 59

Smith & Wesson 76

Smith & Wesson model 52

Thompson 45 with a drum both fore ends and a stack of stick mags

Rockola / Union switch and signal / Singer / Underwood 30 carbines

Winchester M1 Garand

powder springs Mac

Walther pk in 9x18 ultra

Walther pk in 22 long rifle

CZ 75

Lahti in 9mm

Custom Mauser VZ 24 in 458 Winchester mag

1897 Winchester trench gun w/ bayonet

engraved model 57 Smith & wesson

Webley in 38 spl

Luger P-08 9mm matching serial numbers even on the magazines 2

too many others to mention I had a fetish for the Iron

and these are just the ones that make me weepy eyed and gut wrenching

I would rather tell of the ones I would never own again EVER

that list would be not as long but interesting and less painful memories.

Wasn't that the rifle Morgan Freeman carried in Unforgiven?

No, i think he was using a Spencer or Henry repeater, I do recall it being a repeater though, as Clint was loading its tube before giving Hackman a face full of lead.

In 1985, my grandfather bought an Atchisson AA-12, from a guy in Pensacola. No license, no questions. He figured that if a round of 12 gauge was good for bears and bad guys, a 20 round drum of them (full auto) would be even better. Turned out the recoil was much too brutal for him at his age, and he gave the gun to me a couple of years later when I visited him on leave. Tons of fun to shoot, but when he told me how he got it, I got nervous. I eventually traded it to another guy in Colorado who collected guns, again with no license and no questions.

Every now and then, I wish I hadn't gotten so twitchy and sold it off. It was kind of utilitarian, but nothing says 'leave me alone' like a burst of 12 gauge buckshot.

First off damn snake what a list! That reallllly hurts about the sharps....I'd have a hard time getting over that one too. For me I would say a Remington 1187 12ga. It was my first semi and my dad gave it to me. Remington 770 chambered in 300win. Nothing special sine there are lots still around but it was my first and only big caliber rifle. Both cases were because I needed the money

i think the firsts hurt the worst

but then buying selling trading it becomes an addiction the latest and greatest or the unusual or

rare I had a makarov before you could get ammo for the damn thing now just pick up the phone and

order it..

SKS was $37.50 and even ammo was dirt cheap my first M1 Garand was only $299

yea I have a good eye on what is collectible I just do not have sense enough to keep them LOL

You can SELL guns?????? What a concept! No, I know, I've sold/given away a couple as well. I had a full size 1911 with match trigger and barrel that I wish I had back.

For information on the Sharps, go to http://www.shilohrifle.com/ and look. The rifle used in Quigley Down Under was a Sharps 45-110. My bride bought a Sharps 'Big 50' for my for our anniversary some years back. It is a replica of the Sharps 50-90. Shiloh makes new rifles to the old Sharps drawings - if you have an original with a broken part, the Shiloh part will fit it.

If you had an original Sharps, I'd be crying, big time. I love mine, by the way. This is the "Billy Dixon" gun, modeled after the one he used for his famous shot at the second battle of Adobe walls; 1500 plus yards.

This is an evil, evil thread and tortuing us with memories of lost loves is cruel and heartless.

Wilson KZ-45, East German Makarov both in mint condition, stipid me, didn't "think"I would ever use them.

Capt Bart

you can turn a phrase into a hilarious poem yes 'you can sell guns' I learned too late of sellers remorse

but then again I could not afford safe / room large enough to hold all that iron.

and I would have to own Remington to feed them.

I got tired of having to make my own brass or else old western scrounger was the only source.

a 3 bucks a round in the late 80's LOL