Sign in to follow this  
NightOwl

"Map of Freedom"

post-1995-13851497880494_thumb.jpg

I found this about a week ago - I thought it was VERY eye-opening!!!

Light blue is more Freedom, darker blue is less Freedom.

The numerals in black indicate ranking amognst the 50 states. (1 the best, 50 the worst)

I live in Indiana #3 with the most freedom overall!!!;)

The map was created by George Mason University.

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011/ranking-discussion

Edited by NightOwl

Tons of regulations in WV.and Insurance is 3 times the cost of Virginia..Economics is worst because of no industry,only coal and Barry wants to shut that down..

Tell NY were cutting off there Power soon and DC also..charge that blackbery some other way.

Guest survival101
Hmmm I don't know about that NH and MT are two of the best known freedom states.

The list shows NH as #1. Montana is on down there, at #29.

Had no idea Nebraska would be so low, I wonder how they calculated all of this. Iowa (or PRI as I like to call it) some how came out as being more free, bizarre.

If you want to follow the link I put-up the original website explains how/why the ranked the states.

Dear god, that has to be the most well placed Cali-burn I've ever seen in person ROFLMAO

As we live right above California, we actually keep track of things like this (and laugh about it in a mean-spirited way). That really IS one for the record books. FWIW, if you ever want jokes about Californians, consider me a resource.

Good point Illinois really is a People Republic, those poor people. I think we should all take up arms and wage war on Chicago, before it's communism contaminates the rest of the central states.

I lived in Chicago for 10 years- when I was young and stupid I thought it was FUN and COOL to be in the big city!:P

It was a hell of an education!

Oregon is ranked #8 and I think the assessment on the site seems pretty accurate to me. We're #1 in personal freedom (not a surprise due to physician-assisted suicide, marijuana permissiveness, decent gun regulations, and same-sex civil unions). Truly, Oregonians don't care what their neighbors do as long as no children or animals are hurt. And yeah, we take more in taxes than other states and spend a lot of money and hate smokers, but we do a GREAT job managing natural resources and making public spaces available to the whole public, as well as reining in rampant urban and suburban spread.

I love living here.

So sick of living in CA.

I was born and raised in Butte County, so I have a great deal of "experience" in the political mess that has been allowed to fester and thoroughly infect what was once a great state. We raised our three kids in south Orange county, and moved out five years go to Utah, so my wife could care for her aging parents. Total weirdness here though. We still are considered "outsiders" and flaming liberals here, and I always considered myself politically right of Attila the Hum "back home". There are still some counties in California where a semblance of sanity pervails, Jace not many of the 58 though.

@Vicioustom:

There's plenty of property - literally hundreds of places for sale at 20 acres or more, for anywhere from just under $100K to $8 million depending on what ELSE is on the land - and we could always use (a few) more people who have common sense. Concealed carry permits are pretty easy to obtain, you just need to be a citizen and be able to show proof that you've had gun safety instruction. No sales tax, but there is both income and property tax... and weirdly, you're not allowed to pump your own gas here (which is actually kind of a treat in the rain).

Aside from 2 years at school in Washington and 2 years in Montana, I'm a lifelong Oregon resident and have been all over the state, so if you do decide to relocate, let me know and I'll tell you all about the areas you're considering.

Thanks OC,

I may take you up on it, my enlistment's coming to an end in about a year and I'm getting too banged up to think about doing another one, heck, they may medical me out before then. After that I'll be able to vacate the area, so you may be getting an email from me around then :)

I can't help but grin when I seen NH as first, I knew I picked the right state lol.

There are no seat-belt laws, but its illegal to smoke in your car if your kids are in it. That seems fair to me. "Live Free or Die" is the motto.

But honestly I can see MZB as being a problem at some point.

ruger 92-don't get too excited, with your TSA checkpoints on the highways!

Of course, I live in #48(commiefornia), so what do I know about freedom.

That was a great burn, by the way, earlier. Unfortunately all too accurate.

I think I'm relocating to the northwest territories, myself.

Amazingly you can still own firearms here. It's just very expensive, inconvenient, tightly controlled and getting worse. LOL.

Had no idea Nebraska would be so low, I wonder how they calculated all of this. Iowa (or PRI as I like to call it) some how came out as being more free, bizarre.

The key question. How do these good folks calculate their ratings? Looking at the map, I am suspicious of their results.

I don't consider ANY state with a state income tax or property taxes as very free. Freedom and license are not the same thing.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart