Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Mess Kit/Cookware

I'm looking for something to cook with and boil water and eat of all in one. I guess stainless steel will do all of the above right? Anyone have a good line on a decent sized stainless steel cup/bowl??? I can't seem to find anything around here for a decent price or thats not a kit and I just want something smaller to fit in my pack.

The military canteen cup does all that you described. Its stainless steel, unless you get a cheap knockoff by mistake. One way to avoid that is to check it with a magnet to make sure its not alluminum. Plus side for these are they take up no room at all if you have a military one quart canteen, they just slide over the bottom of the canteen.

Another option Ive seen at sporting goods stores is a round stainless steel cup. This fits on some of the round Nalgene type water bottles, so it takes up no room also if you use that type of canteen.

Granted neither of these are very large, but for 1 person they should do the trick, and neither should cost you more than 10 dollars.

The military canteen cup does all that you described. Its stainless steel, unless you get a cheap knockoff by mistake. One way to avoid that is to check it with a magnet to make sure its not alluminum. Plus side for these are they take up no room at all if you have a military one quart canteen, they just slide over the bottom of the canteen.

Another option Ive seen at sporting goods stores is a round stainless steel cup. This fits on some of the round Nalgene type water bottles, so it takes up no room also if you use that type of canteen.

Granted neither of these are very large, but for 1 person they should do the trick, and neither should cost you more than 10 dollars.

Excellent. Thanks.

For a stove+cookware combo that's small and light in your pack, take a look at the Jetboil line of backpacking stoves. It may not be what you want for long term use (since it uses disposable fuel canisters) but perhaps it is something useful for your bug out bag.

Here's a link to the basic model:

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/zip-cooking-system.html

For a stove+cookware combo that's small and light in your pack, take a look at the Jetboil line of backpacking stoves. It may not be what you want for long term use (since it uses disposable fuel canisters) but perhaps it is something useful for your bug out bag.

Here's a link to the basic model:

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/zip-cooking-system.html

agreed on this.

Stainless isn't magnetic.

I have used the jetboil stove and it works great. used it on a backpacking trip for a week. Only used one canister of fuel the whole week. And we boiled around four liters of water most days. I have this on my wish list because they are around $100 plus fuel. Everything fits in the cup it comes with.

Very nice

I have seen the jetboil and I have to say it does work well.I like to travel ultralite so I carry a esbit stove or a penny stove with a canteen cup.The esbit stove I use mostly wood to run it.I only use a green gel on wet days.Sometimes I will use broken up fire starter logs to fuel my esbit.Like I said I like to run ultralite.

Edited by Ssgt_DimeBag
IE9 Ate my letters.lol

In one of my packs I have a small 'sugar canister' part of a set I got at aThrift store. It's copper on the outside but its lined. I like it because my stove fits inside and it has a lid. I admit its a bit hard to handle when hot. But I've been too cheap to buy a jetboil yet.

I have a Jetboil. The Jetboil is superb at doing what it is intended to do: boil water quckly to reconstitute freeze dried meals. It will also work to reheat canned foods or boilsble foods like hot dogs. But frying (like a fish) is out. Maybe you could fry a fish with the optional Group Cooking System (I have one but rarely take it).

Another problem I've had with the Jetboil is the piezo igniter. I've replaced it three times, but not a big deal because I always can light it another way. Still, for the money I paid, I expect better.

It cannot be easily converted to service a non-Jetboil cooking vessel, so if you lose the cup out on the trail, you're SOL. The heating element is about the size of a quarter, and only works because the Jetboil vessels have a one-inch ring of thin metal attached to the bottom if the vessel that is bent up and down like a bunch of interconnected "Ws". This "flux ring," as it's called, massively increases the surface area collecting the heat and conveys it to the vessel. Essentially a radiator core in reverse.

As an ultralight backpacking cooker, I think it's unrivaled. As a basecamp solution, you can do better. In a BOB or GHB I think you would want maximum flexibilty of the tools you carry, so I would probably think about other solutions. Get a big sierra cup or canteen cup as suggested by others first, and get the Jetboil last.

If you do buy one, buy it from REI. The reason to buy it there is because REI is a cooperative and they have a lifetime satisfaction policy. My friends and I call it the lifetime upgrade policy. You can use an item, beat it to death, and bring it back a couple of years later and receive full credit towards a replacement item. When my first Jetboil melted due to operator error, I brought it back and got a new one free. When my first piezo went out, I brought it back and replaced it for free. Also, if you pay $20 to join the co-op, you get an annual dividend (10% or more of your purchases) and all purchases are stored under your member number and you don't have to worry about receipts. They tend to be a bit higher on their prices, but the benefits vastly outweigh the few extra bucks.

I carry a msr pocket rocket in my backpacking gear. loved it for the last ten years. +10 on REI. I have raved about them before. My only pot is a titanium half liter pot with lid than i bought on clearance for $20. it is Teflon coated. one pot cooking and easy clean up.

+1 for the jetboil!

I agree on the jet boil. Bought one not log ago. Gave my msr rocket to the grandson.

But you have to be careful with the jetboil. You need to use the jetboil cup! It has an

intensely concentrated flame an it will melt aluminum messkits and cups. I did purchase

an Isbit stove also, in case I needed to lighten-up the backpack. Haven't used it yet but

the fuel tabs burn at 1400*deg. and can also serve double duty in building fires and such.