Sign in to follow this  
Ssgt_DimeBag

DIY Lawnmower Generator

Whew! I wasn't sure I'd make it through his opening music.

I have a cousin who collects non-functioning lawn mowers. I don't know why, but if you knew him you'd understand. Maybe he's got one that has a motor that runs I could try this with. The same could be applied to anything small engine with a spinning shaft.

Cool Idea. Certainly gives some food for thought.

Wonder how one would fair adding an inverter to that? Not that I have need for anything like that at the moment, I'm well prepared but you just never know. That's very practical and reasonable to build.

I've been studying a way to convert a 3 phase induction motor to a generator. Seeing as to how there is a swift part of a river very close by. A paddle wheel on the shaft of it would be a tremendous plus for electricity. No fuel needed for my generator and no noise! I just haven't figured how tall a paddle wheel would need to be to reach the rpm on the FLA plate of the motor.

Note the nodes on the Y transformer in the schematic.

http://www.redrok.com/cimtext.pdf

Edited by desert rat

Need is the Mother of Invention!!!

I like to find a kit to switch to propane from gas!

I realy like the Idea of using a small chainsaw motor,compact and moveable!!

This quote was taken from an entirely different thread:

the unprepared behave like a bunch of animals.

If I'm going through the scenario of having to bug out and be mobile, I've already made the preps with a military grade foldable solar panels for recharging batteries. Also have a couple of small panels and inverters for other options if needed. I do not plan on bugging out unless disaster is iminent at home........

I don't like the idea of giving up my position.

I also won't be wanting to carry or find fuel for a noise maker to attract unwanted attention. If by some chance the power grid goes down, my generator I'd use to power the house is noisey enough. So if I can find a way

such as in the above pdf. it would certainly be a quite way to provide whole house power and not have attention drawn to my loved ones or self.

I think outside the box sir and I try and consider and expand on all my options.

That's the purpose I was drawn to this site and the reason I post some of my ideas as well as use others ideas.

"Generally", if say someone is out hunting, whatever or wherever they are or whatever they're hunting, one tends to hear something first then it attracts your vision/attention and you investigate. I don't want to be the one with a generator running if the power grid goes down you can hear a 1/2 mile away if I can do something about it. Granted some walk through life with eyes wide shut but it doesn't necessarily mean they're not listening. A roving band of idiots, thugs or muderers is not what I want to know my whereabouts if it were to ever happen God forbid.

I pray that I've prepared well and never have to use anything.

Edited by desert rat

Guest kevin

thanks dimebag........i wonder if you couldn't run 4 or 5 alts.(to power different battery packs) with the right pullies and belts....anyway thanks for the project.....like i have the time.....but winter is a coming....thank God....i need the rest.

You will need to match the motor horse power to the watts the generator produces. Remember a 5 KW runs a 10HP eng. Look for an old Rabbit Diesel eng. and leave the transmissions on it to use the gearing to control the RPMs better.

We have built several and they do work great.

RR