Sign in to follow this  
Ssgt_DimeBag

Rat Traps

I know I'm setting myself up here, but there has to be one idiot in every group and we've found her. Okay, I didn't have a clue what a trap looked like (or a snare, for that matter), so I followed Reg5's link. Now I know what they look like, but have no idea what you catch or how.

Yeah Reg I know that buying premade traps is not really the idea of this thread and I really like the idea hell I never thought of it pretty simple , face palmed myself when I saw it, I just like to consider the long term usability of the thing in my BOB, but that usually mean more $$$$ and just like this case instead of spending $8 to get 8 traps ( 2 for each of the BOBs in my house) I m waiting to get $80 to fill the need so that it will be a long solution ......hope TEOTWAWKI does come before the $80!!!!!

I know I'm setting myself up here, but there has to be one idiot in every group and we've found her. Okay, I didn't have a clue what a trap looked like (or a snare, for that matter), so I followed Reg5's link. Now I know what they look like, but have no idea what you catch or how.

Nana, traps can be used for just about every critter out there; mice to bear and squirrel to man. There are some really good books on the link that CCSir has listed in the multi media thread. Go under the old skills heading and about 1/4 way down is a section on hunting/trapping. There are some really good free downloads just on trapping and building traps. I may have a direct link in the thread started by Default in the hunting forum as well. I also touched on the use of traps in the Survival Eating article on the main site (it's just a brief overview tho and others added in comments).

Yeah Reg I know that buying premade traps is not really the idea of this thread and I really like the idea hell I never thought of it pretty simple , face palmed myself when I saw it, I just like to consider the long term usability of the thing in my BOB, but that usually mean more $$$$ and just like this case instead of spending $8 to get 8 traps ( 2 for each of the BOBs in my house) I m waiting to get $80 to fill the need so that it will be a long solution ......hope TEOTWAWKI does come before the $80!!!!!

Don, I agree. I use both or I should say all types of traps...lol. I use the trapper supply houses to get other tools and supplies. I like getting to know the people I deal with; just a personal approach for me. I also buy most traps by the dozen or the bigger sizes (330 body grips and 4x4 coils) by the half dozen for a bigger break in price. Snare cable is normally cheaper by the spool at hardware stores (Lowes/Home Depot/etc) by getting "garage door" cable. I usually get my locks and other "snare specific" parts from the supply houses. A "SAW mag pouch" is ideal for carrying a half dozen snares, a couple 110s, and a couple rat traps on your pistol belt or MOLLE vest. I'm not sure what size traps you are looking for, but for 80 for 8 traps I'd venture buying a dozen from a supply house may be the same price or buying a half dozen and adding a couple would be cheaper. Just something to think about.

I guess I have a lot more reading to do. Thanks, Reg5. Right now, though, I'm going to bed.

Anytime Nana. I hope it helps. Ask if you have any questions, there are a few people on here who have done quite alot of trapping.