Sign in to follow this  
Schoeny

Cotton balls + vaseline

Ive heard over and over how effective these are. Im just curious how most people make them. I usually hear 'cotton balls soaked in vaseline, packed in an empty pill bottle'. Since Ive never used this before, how do you soak the cotton balls in vaseline? Do you just rub a glob on, or do you have to melt it and dip the cotton balls in, or what?

Guest survival101

made mine by scooping up about a teaspoon or more of vaseline with the cotton ball, and rubbing/rolling it til all the vaseline was incorporated. they get smaller, and easier to pack into a pill bottle that way. as to how they start. honestly? i'm taking everyone's word for it. just like a sheeple.

This is how I do it. You can either use cotton balls or dryer lint, I use dryer lint just because its free and I have tons of it every week. Anyway, take the lint or cotton, some vasoline maybe a tablespoons worth ( I don't actually measure it) and rub it into the cotton, roll it around in your hands until all the fibers have vasoline on it and voila you have a cheap very good fire starter. After I have made it I just put it in old pill bottles since I have so many of them lying around. Hope that helps.

I've done it both ways as well and unless you have latex gloves melting the Vaseline is much cleaner. One other tip, you really don't need to use an entire cotton ball to build a fire. I have built fires using about one quarter of the ball. Of course if conditions suck then you might need the whole thing.

Thanks everyone, I think Ill give it a try just rubbing it in. Good call on the gloves though, I was thinking that it was going to be darn messy making them, but the gloves should take care of that.

One other thing... do you smoosh (thats the technical word for it btw) as many into a bottle as you can, or should you not smoosh? ;)

This is how I do it. You can either use cotton balls or dryer lint, I use dryer lint just because its free and I have tons of it every week. Anyway, take the lint or cotton, some vasoline maybe a tablespoons worth ( I don't actually measure it) and rub it into the cotton, roll it around in your hands until all the fibers have vasoline on it and voila you have a cheap very good fire starter. After I have made it I just put it in old pill bottles since I have so many of them lying around. Hope that helps.

X2 on this procedure. add a little heat to the pill bottle from sunshine through a window to melt the vaseline more thoroughly into cotton fiber.

Edited by awake

I was intrigued with the use of both lint and cotton ball's..My wife said to use some old dryer sheets!

So I got to thinking.............I cut up 4 pcs of 1" wide bambo...2'' long...packed one end with 1/2 sheet diped that end in some wax(wife has a candle burning) sealing it...small amounts of lint and Petro jelly were stuffed in to fill..put a TAD bit of Epi-clenz( alcohol base)on top and a cotton ball.sealed that end with wax..(breaking the wax get to the good stuff)..

Ok so its now a fire log..I am testing it with my Swiss army stove that is coming today..

why? because I had an Idea and was looking for a tinder and wood combination that could be used easy..

anyone else have an Idea?? please share.

Matt,

sounds really good. Only question is how long will the alcohol last? It may be a long time, then again, who knows. I carry a Zippo and a small refill bottle. The bottle fits my key chain and has enough fuel for two refills. You might consider a small, wax filled, hole that will allow you to renew the fluid. That would probably make the volatiles evaporate more quickly but would add the ability to refresh as needed.

A good idea I think. It may take some playing with to figure out all the kinks but sounds good. Let us know how it works out.

The added benefit to making these little firestarters is your hands are really soft after playing with the vaseline.

HEY! To some of us thats important :)

I made over 100 of these last night.

Took no time at all and was kind of fun.

Just put some vaseline in your hand along with a cotton puff. Put your hands in prayer mode and roll them against each

other. Takes seconds to make a compact little ball.

I keep a bag now next to my fireplace, one in my car, and a couple in my Bugbag that I am creating.

Tested the firestarter ball and works damn fine.

I did 2 typs/lint and cotton.(to stuff).Primarly I used petro jelly on both But I also added a Dab of epi clenz in the middle and on the ends before sealing them with wax.. Swiss stove is LATE NOT HAPPY about it...will photo and post ..

I do like the cotton ball's better in a med bottle,they are easyer neater to pull out.

JMO..

The added benefit to making these little firestarters is your hands are really soft after playing with the vaseline.

HEY! To some of us thats important :)

I made over 100 of these last night.

Took no time at all and was kind of fun.

Just put some vaseline in your hand along with a cotton puff. Put your hands in prayer mode and roll them against each

other. Takes seconds to make a compact little ball.

I keep a bag now next to my fireplace, one in my car, and a couple in my Bugbag that I am creating.

Tested the firestarter ball and works damn fine.

i actually used tampons for this. stuffed into a old pill bottle. they open up pretty big when you go to use them.

this way there is for sure enough cotten tinder to get the fire blazing.

RICK! Thats a great idea.:D one thing though... wouldnt a cheap bag of cotton puffs be alot less costly? Have you tried it yet? Nothing exploding? LOL! I swear they put crap in those things heehehe

i actually used tampons for this. stuffed into a old pill bottle. they open up pretty big when you go to use them.

this way there is for sure enough cotten tinder to get the fire blazing.

Hi Matt,

Pardon my ignorance. I cant figure out what the dark brown material is wrapping the lint and cotton.

here is a photo of the starting prosses.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1616[/ATTACH]

after stuffing with eather lint or cotton ball's I seal the othere end..

:rolleyes:

yes it would be less costly but remember, we are talking survival stuff.

yeppers ive used them and they work great.

now for local camping trips and stuff a cotton puff will do just fine.

its like shooting a gun.

target practice you shoot the cheap stuff ya know. when your out and

have your gun on you thats when the expensive ammo is carried.

in this case, im a manly man and my better "bullets" are made of cotton. :o

1 inch wide bomboo cut to 2 inch's long.

I had a huge bundle of bamboo given to me early this year..used in garden for stakes..I have tons of small pieces(Im a pack rat) and use the split ones for starting a fire. they burn great.