Sign in to follow this  
NanaQuilts

Doomsday Bunkers

Just flipping channels and came across a show, Doomsday Bunkers. It's about guys who build bunkers for preppers/survivalists. Discovery channel. I think it's a new series.

where do these guys get all their money?

I was asked about this show on Love.FoxNews.com yesterday morning. I pointed out how impractical these 'bunkers' are for apartment dwellers and 'average people'.

Our segment (S1E9) on Doomsday Preppers begins March 27th, 2012.

Since it's only 'half real', we're just hoping to come off as the Craziest of the 'Weirdos'. LOL Another participant ask, "Why does 'Reality TV' always S##T on their guests?" That's Entertainment! I hope you get some laughs, especially during 'knife training' and the Comedy Show.

This is a pretty good show, but seriously where do these guys get all their money?

These folks are not spending, on the average, anymore than someone who goes out and buys a big motorized RV. The average shelter goes for $40,000 and up. The RV tradeshow I was just at had an "average" motorcoach starting at $80,000. Last year 354, 000 were sold. Granted they weren't all $80,000 but at least 20% were that or more. That comes to more than 70,000 EACH YEAR.

The shelter company shown on the show probably sells 30 a year? Maybe?

I mean, what does the average new car sell for nowdays? I think it is $28,400.

Guest survival101

We keep coming back to this question, and I keep wondering the same thing...

What does it matter? You prep to your level and ability. Who cares what he, or she, or it can do, except in that it might inspire you to find a creative alternative that you can do.

@Jack, can't wait to see your episode aired. We all figured out that the real people featured as shown in a skewed light. Thumbs up to you for prepping.

Edited by survival101

I saw this show lastnight and thought it was pretty good, it was interesting to see how well they put together a shelter, if I ever wanted or could get one i would go to this guy, looks like they do a real good job.

These folks are not spending, on the average, anymore than someone who goes out and buys a big motorized RV. The average shelter goes for $40,000 and up. The RV tradeshow I was just at had an "average" motorcoach starting at $80,000. Last year 354, 000 were sold. Granted they weren't all $80,000 but at least 20% were that or more. That comes to more than 70,000 EACH YEAR.

The shelter company shown on the show probably sells 30 a year? Maybe?

I mean, what does the average new car sell for nowdays? I think it is $28,400.

Well I can't afford one of those either...:(

OK folks... we all do what we can within our means.... do I have 10's of thousands????? heck no.... but make the most of your expendable income and buy smartly.... That's my 2 cents....hopefully four cents tomorrow

Guest survival101
I thought the show was pretty good,$450,000 for the featured shelter, I will be thinking of that while I am huddled in my celler......

Why not think of all the other things outside our grasp? Paris Hilton's millions, a good Cuban cigar, a bottle of Dom Perignon? None of it will warm you, unless you ignite them all and warm your hands by the fire. As for me and mine, we will be thinking as we huddle in our tent in the woods: "Thank goodness we thought to buy a tent."

OK folks... we all do what we can within our means.... do I have 10's of thousands????? heck no.... but make the most of your expendable income and buy smartly.... That's my 2 cents....hopefully four cents tomorrow

Yep, that's what I'm doing...all I can.

Guest survival101

Looked at their price list. Granted, I'm not worried about 5-12 family members joining me. But, you could cozily fit 2-4 people in their 10'x14' shelter, for $25,000. plus cost of land. And if you are careful, that's not much extra cost for the land. You could outfit the inside yourself. That's less than the cost of a house just about anywhere you name.

hear ya bro... and I got Survival 101 watching my back.... it's better that Pearl Drops ie...... "A great Feeling" LMAO.... It really is awesome when you and sig other are on the same page.... It is lonely if it's you against the world..... just sayin folks

Watching this show, my wife asked me if I would ever buy something like this 450K shelter. If I had the cash I surely would. Come on Powerball!

Seriously, though, basic preps is what it's all about. Everyone keep on preparing with the assets at hand, and you will survive longer than those who sit an wish for the underground mansion.

Watching this show, my wife asked me if I would ever buy something like this 450K shelter. If I had the cash I surely would. Come on Powerball!

Seriously, though, basic preps is what it's all about. Everyone keep on preparing with the assets at hand, and you will survive longer than those who sit an wish for the underground mansion.

You hit the nail right on the head devil. My wife and I had the same discussion. While the half million dollar set up is out of reach for most of us that was just a custom build, they have much smaller and affordable units if you take a look on their site. Some of them are not much more than your brand new truck or escalade guy and gals. If I wasn't working through the my current debt levels and I had some land I would take out a loan or save up for one of them. Especially here in the midwest where they can double as a sever weather shelter.

I encourage folks to not only think short term but also long term. When I started out 30 plus years ago it was all my wife and I could do to buy a couple acres of land. Decades go by quickly and that makes a big difference.

You hear it over and over again on this forum. Take it day-by-day, week-by-week, and add a little at a time. In less time than you think you will find yourself in a pretty good position.

What we are doing is not a hobby - it is a way of life. We don't know when there will an event that would force us to fall back on our preps. In the time I have been doing this the worst I have had to face was the grid being down for a few days at a time. In that same time I have accumulated a fair amount of resources which brings me to the real point of this little essay.

Things that you acquire are not as important long term as the decisions you make.

Good decisions early on yield big benefits later on. I am tempted to go into lecture mode here but have just barely managed to talk myself out of it. :P

The signs and portents are not good (they never are) but we don't really know if or when things might come crashing down. I know that tends to make one think short term. Make good decisions - it will pay off later with more choices and opportunities. That is the real reward.

Guest survival101

Just a note. The original thread may have been about shelter or preps, but I notice the guy in Atlanta said he spent $10,000. in two years on food stores. He did not say if that included his regular grocery budget. Here's an article that provides data: http://www.personalfinancewhiz.com/the-average-cost-of-food-per-month-for-one-person-is-surprising/

By the standards of moderate spending, they haven't spent any additional money, if they have included their actual grocery bill. And, bulk buying does save money. It seems to me that preppers are more careful in meal planning as well. Let's just hope we all aren't spending as much on grocery as the article says. "Ouch!"

Sign in to follow this