Sign in to follow this  
bnbr75

Bleach to purify water...

Sorry if I am asking a question that I should have easily found in the forums. Here is what I am going through. We usually have 2-4 2 liter bottles a week become available. I like to clean these out and fill them with water so that we can have water saved for cooking/cleaning, etc. My question is, how many drops of bleach should I be adding to each 2 liter to make sure the water is safe? Again, I'm sorry if I'm asking questions whose answers should be common sense but we are new to prepping and are really working hard to learn from everyone here. Thanks so much!

10-15 drops for a gallon plus about 20 minutes of wait, make sure you turn the container over and half unscrew the lid to get the threads disinfected too. I use about 5 drops for a quart, which is a touch more than needed, but I've never had any problems with it. If your water is cloudy or murky it's a good idea to use a piece of porous cloth as a rough debris filter and double you bleach added with about 50% more wait time.

It's not common sense, really, I've seen men who fancied themselves survivalist add a 1/4 cup chlorine bleach to a gallon of water and drink it, got the runs pretty bad from that. Good question to ask if you don't know.

+1 for what Autonomous wrote. Be sure all you are using is bleach, so read the label carefully. A bunch of items on the market look like bleach at first glance but in reality is bleach plus...whatever. Bad way to poison yourself and your family.

We used chlorine cleaner on the farm a lot when I was a kid growing up to wash out stainless steel tanks and vessels, and my father used to add some to the water he kept stored (he was a survivalist before he know what that word meant). We never had a problem except for the one time I accidentally mixed the chlorine based cleaner with one that was ammonia based. Not a good idea, as it turned out.

a good debris filter i found is very simple, coffee filters and a funnel. place coffee filter in funnel and then shape it to the funnel. just make sure water goes through filter and into funnel. or if tranfering liquid from one bottle to another with a larger mouth, you can wrap the filter around the mouth and then use rubber bands to hold it in place. after filtering you add the bleach. hope this helps. for peace of mind, i always used two filters just in case one breaks