Sign in to follow this  
femvet59

Solar storm heading towards earth (NOT A DRILL)

AP reports that a massive solar storm is heading towards earth, expected to hit around midnight.

Power outages expected, flights will most likely be cancelled over the northern and southern polar routes, some satellites may go down, GPS is expected to loose accuracy.

Time to break out the preps! fill up water containers! Protect your electronics.

AP reports that a massive solar storm is heading towards earth and is expected to hit around midnight Wednesday.

Power outages are expected, planes over the northern and southern poles will probably be cancelled, some satellites are expected to go down which will also interfere with the accuracy of GPS.

Time to break out the preps! Fill up your water containers, gas up the car, get last minute items, pull some cash out.

Probably just a short-term event, but you never know.

Stay safe, everybody.

Amateur, I went back and did a little more reading. What I'm getting is that it's not only the strengths of the solar flare but the direction. In 2000, the socalled "Bastille" event was a x5 (smaller than the current) and caused fairly significant communications problems.

Bottom line for me: Better safe than sorry. After all, that is what we're all about here. I just wanted to put the word out in case anybody misses it.

PS: Sorry about the duplicate posting.

Amateur, I went back and did a little more reading. What I'm getting is that it's not only the strengths of the solar flare but the direction. In 2000, the socalled "Bastille" event was a x5 (smaller than the current) and caused fairly significant communications problems.

Bottom line for me: Better safe than sorry. After all, that is what we're all about here. I just wanted to put the word out in case anybody misses it.

You're right about the direction being a factor. The one that fired off last night was pointed straight at us. It'll be interesting to see what,(if anything) happens.

With these events direction is not only important it is everything. From what little i have been able to read in detail they are starting to be able to predict very accurately even where it will be strongest globally. granted it a target zone of 1/4 a hemisphere but still.

Solid research. I hadn't paid attention to direction. My bad. :P

One of these days there is going to be a BIG one and everything will change. Just before the turn of the century there was on that cause telegraph wire to set the pole on fire. Can you imagine what something like that would do to satellite and cell communications much less sensitive computers!?

PS. I keep http://www.spaceweather.com/ on my tool bar and check it daily. Great site.

To be honest I'm surprised I ran into an article about the CME on MSN's main page. I had already known about it from checking Spaceweather.com but was pleasantly surprised when I saw it on MSN.

I think a lot of people would probably have enough warning to protect their equipment.

I kinda wish I had a shipping container to stick my car in :)

what exactly is going to happen depends on which article you read. the only thing they all agree on are the pretty lights in the sky. just another example of the quality journalism in this country each twists how they see fit.

So why do we all give them a pass? No one tries to boycott the sponsors. There is no backlash from the Tea Party. Every one wants to play nice or they are just sick of it and shrug like Atlas.

AP reports that a massive solar storm is heading towards earth and is expected to hit around midnight Wednesday.

Power outages are expected, planes over the northern and southern poles will probably be cancelled, some satellites are expected to go down which will also interfere with the accuracy of GPS.

Time to break out the preps! Fill up your water containers, gas up the car, get last minute items, pull some cash out.

Probably just a short-term event, but you never know.

Stay safe, everybody.

Nice fricking title, (NOT A DRILL) thanks, because theres too many of those but wow.

Quick Question, how do I EMP proof my small electronics? Rubber? What? Where do I buy it, how do I make it?

Well standing by in the UK :) this has proved pretty useful from a prepping exercise for me. Im doing what I can but its been a bit half hearted if im honest. But reading through this site again had me thinking "what if this actually happens?" so I hot footed it to the bank to get a load of cash out in small denominations. I got enough food and water at home for about 3 or 4 days just in case.

Nice fricking title, (NOT A DRILL) thanks, because theres too many of those but wow.

Quick Question, how do I EMP proof my small electronics? Rubber? What? Where do I buy it, how do I make it?

Look up faraday cage.

Essentially its an ALL-Metal container.... prefably air-tight... the means the lid has to be metal touching metal (the rest of the container)..... Think "metal cracker container" or even a shipping container (way too expensive).... make sure the inside is insulated with cardboard or rubber etc. and then place the object inside on top of the insulation

For the record: I don't think Faraday cages will be necessary for this CME...

from what I've researched, the carrington event was 'off-the scales' and more powerful than an X28 CME.....

are solar panels effected by solar flares?

Yes,

anything with wire or conductor can be effected by solar flares. The strongest possible flare is an X 9.

http://spaceweather.com/glossary/flareclasses.html

Along with strength, consider direction and magnetic field orientation. I knew that we were not taking a center mass hit based on forecast tracks. If the IMF (interplanetary magnetic field) is South then it get's through earth's magnetic field easier and has more surface potential. If it is North, the the earth's field has its maximum shielding effect.

It isn't easy or straight forward, some of the math is difficult if you've been away from college science math courses a while, but that is the short answer.