Sign in to follow this  
femvet59

Solar storm heading towards earth (NOT A DRILL)

This one is an X5 and so far (knock on wood) it has been way less than feared. The calculations on things like this have so many variables that any answer they come up with is just a wild eyed guess really. It is like the weather forecasts...when they get so that they can tell me with any accuracy what it is going to do tomorrow I might THEN worry a little about their predictions of Global warming.

Just saw we have an M6 on the way, and its gonna be a dead on hit

Yep, the one/two punch was the Carrington scenario. I don't think this M6 will do that but watch the sun for a while. It is interesting which is why I check at least daily, at times (like now) more often.

I'm going to move this to combine with the identical thread of similar name. No reason to have two.

For SMALL electronics about the only thing that is useful might be a microwave. They have to be pretty well sealed to keep the microwaves in. Their gaskets are even special. Building a Faraday cage that is effective is tough. Air tight and not done with rubber gaskets is a challenge.

Also basically what good are most electronic gadgets without the support system that goes with them. A radio when there are no stations, GPS with all the satellites burned out, Phones with no phone system, There will be no electricity and most batteries will be discharged. I guess a pair of radios might be nice and a digital watch...maybe a calculator that will solar power might be nice. Put your pooter stuff on a flash drive and put it in the box so if things ever get back to normal you will have that...

And now we got an M8 on the way as well.

WEEKEND SOLAR FLARE: Sunspot AR1429 is still erupting this weekend. On Saturday, March 10th, it produced a powerful M8-class flare that almost crossed the threshold into X-territory. In New Mexico, amateur radio astronomer Thomas Ashcraft recorded a series of shortwave bursts emanating from the blast site: audio. Also, the explosion propelled yet another CME toward Earth: forecast track. The cloud is expected to hit our planet's magnetosphere on March 12th around 1800 UT. A CME from an earlier explosion will arrive much sooner, however. Continue reading.

For SMALL electronics about the only thing that is useful might be a microwave. They have to be pretty well sealed to keep the microwaves in. Their gaskets are even special. Building a Faraday cage that is effective is tough. Air tight and not done with rubber gaskets is a challenge.

Also basically what good are most electronic gadgets without the support system that goes with them. A radio when there are no stations, GPS with all the satellites burned out, Phones with no phone system, There will be no electricity and most batteries will be discharged. I guess a pair of radios might be nice and a digital watch...maybe a calculator that will solar power might be nice. Put your pooter stuff on a flash drive and put it in the box so if things ever get back to normal you will have that...

Danm,

doesn't have to be airtight. A fine mesh wire screen also works - the key is the finer the mesh, the better the isolation. It is a matter of wavelength vs hole size. If the hole size is smaller than the wave length you're in pretty good shape. I use a metal filing cabinet for ammo storage but one drawer is where I keep my standby, solid state ham gear stored. Not as good as a purpose designed cage but at my magnetic latitude it should be good enough. For really small stuff the electrostatic bags that chips are shipped in would probably be enough, unless you are up in northeastern Canada.

Geophysics aside - ignore if you wish:

Magnetic latitude is not quite the same as geo latitude - most of the US is further north magnetically than they are geographically. Magnetic north pole is in the Arctic Ocean between Hudson Bay and the Pole at the current time but it does wander around.

post-6-13851497871768_thumb.jpg

http://www.tgo.uit.no/articl/roadto.html

It has even been known to swap north for south. This is the "pole swap" that the 21 Dec 2012 believers mistake for a physical pole swap. Magnetic pole swap is important because my compass would point the wrong way and during the actual sway the shielding effect of the earth's magnetic field is reduced. Otherwise not much effect. A physical pole swap required something like a planetary impact event and the physical end of the earth. Not likely in the foreseeable future.