Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Camel Bak and ALICE Pack

So I've got a Camel Bak that I bought a couple of years ago to wear while riding my bicycle. Now that I'm getting more into prepping and trying to get home or bug out, I'm not sure how to incorporate the two together. I've got a standard large ALICE pack and a Camel Bak Lobo. Any ideas on how to wear both??? I don't really want to go out and buy a new one.

Im not familiar with that exact model of camelback, but would it fit inside the inner pouch of the main compartment of your alice pack? Then thread the drinking tube out and attach it to one of the shoulder straps if it does fit. It will cut down on your capacity it the bag itself, but honestly I always ran out of strength to carry more stuff before I ran out of room to carry more stuff when I was infantry and carried a large alice ruck.

Im not familiar with that exact model of camelback, but would it fit inside the inner pouch of the main compartment of your alice pack? Then thread the drinking tube out and attach it to one of the shoulder straps if it does fit. It will cut down on your capacity it the bag itself, but honestly I always ran out of strength to carry more stuff before I ran out of room to carry more stuff when I was infantry and carried a large alice ruck.

I've been thinking about that. The Camel Bak I've got is nice because of the pockets and compartments it has, but I suppose I could pull the bladder out and throw it into the ALICE if I needed to get out of dodge.

You could always leave the cover on it also, unless you are very close to your max weight or are running out of room. Im sure that once you get wherever your going, having the option to take a smaller pack (the camelbak) on short patrols, day hikes, hunting etc. would be darn nice.

*edit* Or you could remove the bladder and have perhaps a child or eldery person use it to carry a small amount of stuff. Even 1 pound of something they can carry is one pound you dont have to. Plus its always nice to spread out items like food or firestarters in case your pack was ever lost somehow.

Edited by Schoeny

if you have a frame on your pack lash it to the space between you back and pack. It can act like a bit of a spine pad. That's how I used to keep my hydration system handy and easily detachable while carting around the alice pack for Uncle Sam.

Are you absolutely sure that your ALICE pack doesn't have a compartment inside the back padding on it? Most do for hydration bladders.

I've never seen an ALICE pack with padding or a bladder sleeve that wasn't added by the user. Are you thinking of a more modern pack maybe?

I've never seen an ALICE pack with padding or a bladder sleeve that wasn't added by the user. Are you thinking of a more modern pack maybe?

More than likely. My brain isnt working that well tonight...