Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Diabetic friend packable foods

Hello, I just found this wonderful forum today and it seems full of knowledgeable, friendly people so I thought I might ask this question.

Lately, the idea that SWHTF soon kinda spurred me into taking my personal survival a lot more seriously. As such, like many of you I want to put together a decent BOB and EDC. The issue I am having is will food and space. Obviously you want something that packs the most caloric punch for the least amount of space. The problem lies in that I am type 2 diabetic (maintained by diet, exercise and pills currently.).

Anyone else in the same boat that can offer me some suggestions. I have read yay's and nays on MRE's, Cliff Bars etc. I search the forum but found little. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

John

I will be real honest with you Spoon (by-the-way welcome to the forum!) there are foods that will help control your insulin levels but the only way I found to lick it is to lose weight.

I don't know where you weight is but I managed to lose 20% of my weight and it actually reversed the Diabetes. I am just about off all medication and hope to be completely off in a couple of months.

I considered gastric by-pass or a lap band, which have 80 to 90% plus rates of diabetic reversal, but decided to buckle down and eat less. My wife was on a weight loss program and I just piggy backed on what she did. While neither of us were really, really oveweight we had sufficiently let ourselves go while raising a family and building a business that it eventually caught up with us.

Take my advice for what it is worth.

i am diabetic also, and i had gastric bypass so my food sources are also limited. i was told to stay away from starches like corn, potatoes and pastas. things like green peans are low in sugar, and really nutritious. the hard part is staying away from carbs which a lot of the mres and energy bars are laden with. bananas are also a big no no, so things like banana chips are out. i have to have a high protein diet, so i pack things like peanuts, almonds and sunflower seeds for snacks. basically green leafy things are good although hard to figure out ways to pack them. i would not depend on processed foods as they contain a lot of sugar. i would consider canning things like chicken or beef or other proteins.

Thanks for the advice and welcomes! I have lost a lot of weight but I'm down to the last 20-25 pounds that should put me in my optimal range. I just had my most recent blood test so I'll see where I'm at, hopefully I can get off the pills!

If anyone has any other options please share I'm sure we'll all alike to hear it! :)

Spoon,

Welcome, sir. I also am Type II and am currently working to reverse it with diet. There is something that I'm trying (with my bride's help and encouragement I must add) called the "Diabetes Solution Kit" from Barton Publishing that seems to be working for me. I went from the Doc telling me the meds weren't working to having it come down like 50 points and seems to be continuing. I've lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. High protein, low carb (very Atkins like if you remember that) diet that is easy to be own.

There is a .pdf manual that goes with it; something like that should help. I already feel better and have more energy.

I have a friend from my school days who is diabetic, and he's into his wilderness activities and gets by OK. He usually takes a good supply of high fibre, natural carbs, protein, etc. He explained to me once that a diabetics best friend are Oats (steel cut is best if you can find it, but rolled is fine too), and this is his staple breakfast for day to day life. Something to do with reducing the risk of blood sugar spikes and controlling insulin levels (I don't understand the exact ins and outs). He also eats a lot of high protein, low GI foods, such as beef jerky/biltong (the South African equivilant), eggs (munis the yolk for most of them), chicken etc. Low GI vegetables like brocolli, green peas, legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils) are also good sources of energy and all are available in cans for food storage.

Hope your prepping goes well!

Edited by rb_akl

My girlfriend is Type 1 who's going to school for nutrition, and she always keeps things like granola bars (she recommends Fiber One and Special K, although if they don't go over your carb limits, try Nature Valley and Great Value), dried fruit, trail mix, almonds, cashews, jerky, orange juice if you can carry it, and raisins. She says that although it's not always the healthiest thing to do, in a survival situation, throw down a lot of protein and sugars. If you're worried about going low, keep soda handy, as it's the next best thing to a glucagon kit or the sugar gel stuff. Of course, she also carries her glucose tablets.