Sign in to follow this  
exit

You have two days to prepare. You have $1000. GO!

"with just a grand.....gas and diesel.....and wonder why i only had a 1000 in my nest egg. " I can agree here. If all you have is $1000 dollars, you're screwed. there is no way you can get anything done with a thousand bucks. But if all I had was $1000, I would stock up on dry goods, and water jugs, as well as bleach, and canned goods. If gas hit $10 a gallon, I would have to drop out of school, and get a job within walking/biking distance. then use that money to pay the bills, and increase the stored food, and try my best to stay ahead on the rent by at least two months. Dump the cell phone, get Vonage, utilize the basic cable and internet services to stay in contact with people. I have enough ammo for now, and I am pretty sure I have the barter items to get more should I need to SHTF.

"with just a grand.....gas and diesel.....and wonder why i only had a 1000 in my nest egg. " I can agree here. If all you have is $1000 dollars, you're screwed. there is no way you can get anything done with a thousand bucks. But if all I had was $1000, I would stock up on dry goods, and water jugs, as well as bleach, and canned goods. If gas hit $10 a gallon, I would have to drop out of school, and get a job within walking/biking distance. then use that money to pay the bills, and increase the stored food, and try my best to stay ahead on the rent by at least two months. Dump the cell phone, get Vonage, utilize the basic cable and internet services to stay in contact with people. I have enough ammo for now, and I am pretty sure I have the barter items to get more should I need to SHTF.

I can relate

I might have to quit my job since it requires me to drive a lot. To get to school I'd have to ride bike and I'd probably have to find a job within a bike's ride distance from my home too. Don't know what I'd do to make money...

$10/gallon gas would probably send the economy into a depression.... I don't think it will ever get that bad (and hope).

Guest survival101
101, this is probably a stupid question, but what are the guinea pigs for?

Despite the fact that they are adorable, Guinea Pigs are both game and farm animals in many South American countries. The are not native to North America. A breeding pair or two can quickly produce enough offspring to provide meat for a small family. They are quieter than chickens, thus preserving OpSec, and they will eat dandelions, lettuce, carrots, and some grasses. Perfect farm animal, if you can get past their cuteness, which is not easy.

you are correct but we must remember we are trying to survive so this generator is to recharge batteries. This is why the 2 day effort will fall short it is just not enough time fighting rowds who are after the

same items plywood gas batteries generators dry food etc....

Your dead on Snake. I have done the math on fuel burn and generator use. It's almost cheaper in a short term storm event (say a week or two with no power) to just let the food go bad in the fridge and freezer. When you figure out the intial cost of said generator ($3500) the propane burn ($600 for two weeks) and the fact that even though I live in a very active hurricane area (30 miles from the Atlantic Ocean) there has only been a few times in my life were we have lost power for more then a few days.

For $4,100 I can replace alot of meat and freezer items for that once every 15 years (the avg. time between long term power outages). The only reason I am buying a generator is becasue I'm a Police Officer and whenever there are storms (major power outages) they put us all to work for the duration to keep looting and crime at bay.

The generator is more for my wife and daughter's comfort cause while im out keeping the peace my family is left at home to defend for themselves. The next time you have a major storm, hurricane or snow drive by your local cops house, he is the last one to shovel his driveway and the last one to cut up the down trees in his yard.

The last major storm we had I was out for 6 days and never did get home during that time period due to where I was stationed (on the other side of the county from home). So the generator is for the family and I know that in a long term senerio that generator will be of no use.

I am looking into solar power right now but I live in town and the freaking nieghbours all have huge old growth trees that block most of the sunlight into my yard. The town has a no wind turbine rule so im screwed there too.

A little off topic but when you guys are bugging out or bugging in I will be most likely at work so beign a cop puts me a huge disadvantage as far as a SHTF senerio. On one hand I will have access to stuff like gas and food that the public wont but it wont do me much good when I cant get back home.

If I walk off the job to go home then thats it, my days as a cop are over for good. No one would touch me after that. Katrina was a great example. It was a SHTF situation for the cops in New Orlenes, the ones that walked off have been black balled from what I understand.

So if it is a short term event then you have to stick it out and hope your family makes it through by themseleves alone. If it's a country wide long term looking event then leaving is alot easier but I have agonized over the prospects of a Katrina event in my area and what I would do.

One of the major problems I have is that I was born and rasied in the county that I work in, and it's very rural so I know almost everybody in the county. It would be very hard for me to cut out and watch my life long friends and family (the ones that cant fiend for themselves like the old and sick) be victimized by the scum bags that have been waiting in the wings to just go crazy when the SHTF.

Just some food for thought.

I am lucky

I could give a sh*t my neighbors have not attempted to neighborly during any of the storms

so they are on their own there are only 4 families I would check on a few others I would

check to see if they didn't make it.

but I do see your point but it seems to me others would take care of any yard problems

as a cop friend I went and patched a limb hole in his roof and cleared most limbs.

Just do your best and try not to get shot in the back.

and on a personal note not trying to be negative here, but you might have worded that better

"the ones that walked off have been black balled from what I understand."

well I am ROFLMAO.

Survival101, I definitely wanted to know and I appreciate the information.

They are cute and my kids had some as pets years ago, but I think if I can kill a chicken, I can kill a cavy. How to cook it, well, I'll figure that out, too. I'd like chickens, more for the eggs than the meat, but we can't have them where we live, so this is an alternative to think of.

fill up the auto's also get as many gas can's my truck can hold. get more bottle water, fill up my bath tub water blatter's, more food stock, staybill gas treatment, Then get as many GUMMIE BEARS as i can.

Then get as many GUMMIE BEARS as i can.

Now you're talkin. During the ice storm several years ago, where we were without power for 10 days, I had 5 lbs of Hot Tamales and 5 lbs of cola bottles. Good candy makes most anything tolerable.

The problem is EMP. My guess is that Iran already has at least one nuke and they apparently have a missle capable of reaching us. It doesen't have to be accurate, just high and close. Bang! No power.

The propane is for cooking and lighting which would be unaffected by EMP.

They don't need a long-range missile or an Iranian bomb (see "One Second After")..an old freighter in the Gulf of Mexico, 1 or 2 short-range crap missiles + 1 or 2 old nukes purchased from some defunct or Islamic-friendly country...it would be so easy to EMP this country and we would be in very bad shape.

Given my current prep situation (72 hour BOB, BOV, BOL ready). I think I'd go with all the gas and water i can get in my vehicle.

My Bug-Out plans don't much include using gasoline, but it would become the new ultimate currency.