Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

The Best Plant In The World?

This may be another "Gulp" which is why I didn't put it in the title, but.

This plant has been proven to be extremely stress relieving, has cancer curing properties, and is considered to have more uses then any other plant (supposedly).

Ding ding ding.... yes this plant is,

Marijuana!

Many law makers are now trying to legalize it (Including Ron Paul).

Why?????

Well, heres a good way to sum it up.

It is not only proven to be harmless, but actually extremely beneficial when used properly.

It has no addictive chemicals in it but the effects themselves may be addicting.

Studies are now showing that it is amazingly better at curing many current medical problems than a lot of prescriptions. I can see it now, a commercial for medical Marijuana listing only good side effects.

Side effects for Prozac- Abnormal dreams; anxiety; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flu-like symptoms (eg, fever, chills, muscle aches); flushing; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; runny nose; sore throat; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; weakness; yawning.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bizarre behavior; black or bloody stools; chest pain; confusion; decreased concentration; decreased coordination; exaggerated reflexes; excessive sweating; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; joint or wrist aches or pain; memory loss; new or worsening agitation, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness, or inability to sit still; persistent or severe ringing in the ears;persistent, painful erection; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent anxiety, trouble sleeping, or weakness; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or headache; significant weight loss; stomach pain; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; trouble urinating; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual or severe mental or mood changes; unusual swelling; unusual weakness; vision changes; worsening of depression.

Side Effects for Marijuana- cottonmouth, may cause drowsiness, may cause increased appetite, may make you extremely relaxed and feel good for no reason.

You see what I'm saying? This plant is only bad because of illegal drug money problems and that's it.

I will say that I have smoked before and have no problems with it, and have noticed significant relaxation and nothing but good side effects from using it.

Also, on the drug prevention sites they list effects of marijuana that happen in maybe 1/1000 people (like extreme anger.... lol), and they (of course) dont mention that not 1 person has died from smoking pot in recorded history.

Not to mention, Hemp has many many efficient uses but its illegal (and has 1000x less THC then Marijuana).

Here's a few reference sites, I HIGHLY recommend you check them out.

http://www.mpp.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX2A3C07yIs&feature=related

Any thoughts?

I agree that it should be legal or at least decriminalized. As a libertarian I don't get hung up on what people want to do to and for themselves. But since we are dealing with TEOTWAWKI situations here, I would caution the use of it or any mind altering drug, so that one's senses are not deadened. PLUS, the food supply will likely be low so who needs the munchies at times like that.

Just remember that before TEOTWAWKI it is illegal, will get you in big trouble with the Feds, will have you dealing with folks that will kill you for a buck or for the h*ll of it and is likely to impact your future employments and preps. You could easily loose the right to own guns, maybe forever, for example.

Fundamentally I don't care, as long as you're not stoned to the point of being incapable of doing what's needful (same way I feel about booze) but the legal ramifications mean you can not prep to have any after TSHTF. If rule of law still exists (and I think it will, well into TEOTWAWKI) you can be busted for having it. Being in jail is not a good plan A when it comes to survival.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Do any of you know WHY it is even illegal? I has nothing to do with it nonexistent addictive narcotic effect. It was made illegal through the political machinations of a corrupt industrialist. This same individual also started a war to increase paper sales by "inventing" an attack that never happened.

William Randolf Hearst paid to have Marijuana criminalized because he owned a lot of news papers and also sold paper to the other people that sold news papers. He bough HUGE tracts of forested land in the North West to feed pulp wood to his paper mills. He was an almost insane monomaniac and just HATED anyone that competed with him or tried to make a profit off him.

His only competition for the paper sales was through the hemp based paper makers. He couldn't buy up all the little farmers that made a living raising hemp so he instead put them out of business with a trick. The law only used the general term Cannabis not specifying the subspecies. Most didn't know until after the fact that they were banning Hemp, subspecies Sativa along with the subspecies Indica which is the Devil Weed.

What they did in the end was to put a whole bunch of hard working honest people out of business and finance a criminal drug business that to this day spend huge amount in political support to keep themselves in business.

Every bad thing that you've probably heard about the devil weed is probably a well financed lie. Where Hearst left off the criminals took over. Pot is nonaddictive, it is one of the safer drugs to take over the long term compared to alcohol, nicotine or according to some studies, caffeine all of which ARE addictive.

The Bill of rights is actually an illegal document to some extent because it was written on paper made from Cannabis. Hemp is one of the most useful plants in the worlds and is turned into paper, cloth, rope and dozens of drugs that have nothing to do with getting high, animal feed, poultry feed, oils for paints and dozens of other smaller scale uses.

All that aside though the thing that you hear the most is that it is THE entry level drug that leads to substance abuse. That is bullshit. THE entry level drug is a lot further down the list, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and maybe some of the addictive alkaloids in chocolate are where kids learn to turn to chemicals for a high of some kind.

I smoked a bale of it when I was a kid. When I grew up I walked away from it as I did most of my other stupid kiddie vices. I look at my life and compare it to some of my more red neck buddies from back then and am thankful that booze always made me deathly ill and so I avoided it. I grew up and left it behind. They are now full blown alcoholics and have a bunch of legal troubles associated with their addiction. Even as a kid, I got high and in general got VERY friendly. They got drunk and got in fights. I got high and staid at home with friends, they went to the bars with their friend where they got in fights or got arrested on the way home for DWI or had a wreak.

I wish that we could all just be happy all the time but actually life isn't that way. Every once in a while a little chemical boost is nice especially when you're young. I wish I had smoked a lot more weed and a lot less tobacco. MAN that crap is a tough addiction to beat. Watching my Mama with lung cancer and my Dad with Emphysema dragging a bottle around finally talked me into it though. TALK about an EVIL drug!!! It knocks you on your ass and is stronger than pot at first. THEN you get addicted and it does nothing for you. You smoke to keep from feeling bad(withdrawal jitters otherwise known as a nicotine fit) after that rather than to feel good. The side effects are simple...you eventually die.

Okay, being serious... Ahem

I looked into it out of curiosity, legal weed would cost more to regulate given the prevalence of illegal growing and sales than it would make in tax revenue. Look it up, I'm not going to dig up the documentation on an issue that has cartoonish levels of veracity, and simply isn't important enough for me to care.

Also every time someone comes out and claims that it needs to be legalized because it's a snake oil cure all it makes you look like you're desperately grasping at straws regardless of how useful it may be for medical purposes. I have yet to see a verified medical report supporting the claims of the neighborhood stoner who claims it will make you a superhuman. All of the reports that I've read have been trumped up with little or no supporting evidence.

As for hemp textiles, glue derivatives, etc... That may have been a valid argument 60 years ago, but these days most of those natural manufacturing materials have been replaced with easier to manufacture structurally superior synthetics. And have you ever worn hemp clothes? Seriously? It's uncomfortable, I'd rather wear a coarse wool jockstrap.

Maybe people like me would take the "Legalize Pot" movement seriously if they actually came out and admitted they wanted to get high in the park without getting arrested.

guess i would fall in the same camp as Capt Bart on this issue. Get caught with this stuff and your life will take a quick turn for the worse. If you feel the need to get high, wasted, stoned, drunk or whatever altered state you can think of, all i would ask is you do it at home. Dont cause problems for the rest of society.

I kicked the smoking habit 10 years ago. My daily coffee intake is borderline caffeine junkie. then again i am only impacting myself and the pockets of Juan Valdez.

I do not think that this has any place in this forum. This should be about survival not a druggie forum. The benefits of the drug has been cussed and discussed for years. Everyone has by now formed their own opinion of it. In a survival situation you need a clear head to stand up to the challenges of the situations at hand. To each his own. If you want to use MJ then that is your own choice and please do not try to talk any one else into thinking that it is harmless. After TEOTWAWKI you will be free to do as you wish. I would rather come up on someone who is stoned in a survival situation than someone who is sober and vigilant. IMHO

I do not think that this has any place in this forum. This should be about survival not a druggie forum. The benefits of the drug has been cussed and discussed for years. Everyone has by now formed their own opinion of it. In a survival situation you need a clear head to stand up to the challenges of the situations at hand. To each his own. If you want to use MJ then that is your own choice and please do not try to talk any one else into thinking that it is harmless. After TEOTWAWKI you will be free to do as you wish. I would rather come up on someone who is stoned in a survival situation than someone who is sober and vigilant. IMHO

wow, well said sir and i agree with every word.

Amen sir...

One of the basic failings of humanity is that they just LOVE pissing on each other. If a person doesn't like or do something then they are all for banning it. It's just fun to fuck over someone. The Jews actually liked Hitler pretty well when he was killing retards, Crazy people and Queers. My point is that there is no SANE reason for it to be illegal. If getting high or using a substance because it makes you feel good is so bad then they need to make booze, tobacco, caffeinated drinks like coffee and coke and maybe candy illegal as well.

The day is coming when anything that IS legal will be required and anything not required will be illegal. The cost of the drug war is in the TRILLIONS of dollars. Piss on taxes, turn the prisons into treatment centers and let the police chase bad guys (Killers, thieves and such) instead of chasing people that want to get high or have sex. I would legalize sex too!

Most of the people that we have locked up are there because they are drug involved. Catching then, incarcerating them and such doesn't even count the loss involved in their victims. How much is a life worth? Most of the crime is related to junkies trying to pay hundreds of dollars for drugs that would actually cost pennies to make. I would offer it to addicts and let them go to hell if it would make them leave the old people alone and stop killing convenience store clerks!

I don't want the crap for me. Shit I don't even let them use that crap on me in the hospital after surgery and don't usually fill the prescriptions for pain pills when I go home. My idea of getting high means two or three beers around the campfire a few times a year.

You always thing that the junkies are all just monsters and should be killed...until it is YOUR kid that shows up in jail arrested for drug possession or sales. MOST junkies are real people and in general pretty nice regular sorts of folks when they get off their drugs. In a lot of cases it isn't as much the drugs as it is the drug culture that really messes them up.

I guess I have a different perspective. I live near Huntsville Texas. My wife works on death row we see a lot of things here that you don't see on TV. There are almost as many convicts behind bars as there are people here. LOL the census counted the convicts into the population of the city and county...Home depot couldn't figure out why their Store didn't go the amount of business that the population should have generated. They tried to sue the city because they said it was fraud. It wasn't the city that came up with those numbers it was the Feds. They couldn't sue them! LOL. I KNOW what the final cost of drugs is, I see it every day. Treat it as an illness and put the pushers out of business!

It will never happen...I did some digging at one time and as Pogo said, "I have met the enemy and he is US!!!" We are the pushers, we finance it with our refusal to help the people that need help, we act like it is cheaper to build prisons then treatment centers. I promise you, none of these men sat there in their youth and said, "I want to be a junkie when I grow up. I want to shaft my family till none of them will even let me in their house. I WANT to sit in a cage for most of my life without even the basic dignity of being human."

Oh well job security for me and mine...They kill y'all and we kill them...

I have already posted in this thread that I'll be taking the libertarian point of view and that of a strict constitutionalist. I think here are many issues that the govt. just needs to stay the f out of. With that said I appreciate the ROL for "society's sake. Just understand, that when we do cede our freedoms to the govt. we wind up getting more than we deserve.

Danm, I agree with you on many points and I think there are some folks here that believe you have been advocating mj use, as a "pothead". I don't sense that your commentary was intended for nefarious reasons, other than to just f with people.

There are obviously some strong feelings on the subject. That's cool. There should be. And we should be able to rise above that and discuss, or choose not to, and remain friendly

Edited by MikeE

How many of you want to be in a camp at your BOL and have some one on guard who is stoned on pot, while you and your family sleep. First at night you can see the burning ember. Second you can smell the stuff from a long way off. Third they have a tendency to doze off. This is not just SUPPOSE, this is something which happened in Viet Nam. Here in the states I have seen what happens to some of these pot heads. I have pulled some of the dead ones out of vehicles and also some innocent persons out of vehicles who were killed by impaired drivers. Of course I am just speaking to pot, not the other things such as alcohol. If pot were legal I would still have the same opinion where safety is concerned. I have the same opinion of anything which alters or inhibits the mind function. (Pick your what-evers) None of these items have any place around firearms, vehicles or any high stress situations. I do not care what any adult does or uses as long as it does not impact me or my family. I do not care if it is legal or not!!!

Wouldn't want to have to rely on anyone who was under the influence of alcohol or marijuana because it impairs your judgment

My point exactly!! And it goes the same for any other intoxicants WHEN USED IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. So why are we even having this discussion? Like I said there is no good reason for this in this forum. Politics are germane to the subject at hand and has a lot of bearing on it.

Didn't think this would be so serious, but the plant has been proven remotely harmless, and has been proven to combat certain medical conditions, quite a few of them. I understand its a step away from survival, but its a popular debate nowadays between people so I figured it'd be good to discuss with people I discuss other issues with.

Default,

It is not that serious and the plant may or may not be harmless which is not the point. The point is what the plant does to people. Like I stated earlier, this , in my opinion is not the venue for that discussion. I believe that you have the right to say anything you wish to say and discuss anything you wish but we are talking about discussing not advocating. Do not think that I am mad or upset by your post, because I am not. NOT THE PLACE....just saying. Only my opinion.

Dan,

You do bring up a valid point about how our legal system handles offenders. We send fairly harmless offenders into gen. pop. with violent lifers and then we're surprised when they come out of the penal system half crazy and rabid. I'm not really a soft touch, but it doesn't make much sense to me to make a pot slinging hippy live with a pack of murdering, raping psychos for years on end.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it seems for a lot of the offenses people get sent away for we could come up with a way not to incarcerate them and possibly make them productive, thus improving their situation and that of society as a whole.

IDK, can someone smart way in on that idea?

VT,

That just makes too much sense. We are dealing with government here. You are preaching to the choir here. There are some good people in jail who made a mistake or committed some non violent crime who really do not belong there. But then there those who belong there. So how do you differentiate between the ones who should be there and those who should not? Even the judges can not figure it out so they treat them all alike. If there were alternative places to send them, who would pay for building these places? What do you do if you have someone who is a violent criminal but has served his time and while he is out of jail commits a minor crime? Do you allow him to slide or send him to the alternative place with the non violent offenders. He then becomes a teacher and what he teaches causes some of the others to re-offend. It is not a perfect system but it is the only one we have. There is one way to stop all of these crimes but, no one would want it. But it does stop re-offending 100%.

VIS 9: I understand your argument about the appropriateness of this subject on this site in general, BUT this site is pretty large and I do believe the OP chose the right sub-forum in which to post: "General" > "Freedom and Liberty". The commentary was not in one of the three SURVIVAL sub forums, so I considered it a non-survival subject, even tho hemp/rope could come in handy:) Politics, Religion, (notice I did not say faith), hemp...none are really necessary subjects when it comes to discussing the nuts and bolts of survivalism, but they have all been discussed here. Hell, we even have 4 pages dedicated to how to carry TP.

I understand your desire to not have a "pothead" standing watch and if THAT's the debate, I am solidly in your camp.

Edited by MikeE

Here I go..

First you do what ever you want as long as it Does Not effect me or Mine.Thats the problem..

Let me be VERY CLEAR on the One Point ..MJ is a DRUG..it alters yours thinking(so does Booze).Fact,your personal Emotional Growth STOPS when you are STONED.If you start getting stoned at an early age(some of us did)than thats were your Emotional develpment stays.How many times do you have to see 15 year olds act like 2 year olds?

You also see Dumbass drunks be the same way..They are both DRUGS that effect your MENTAL growth.

I probley have more experence than most on this subject because of my age and experence.

Sniffing Glue was big in the early 60 for kids looking to COPY the effect of what there parents did.Booze.

1968..Southern California..a dime bag was 5 fingers and 3 inches thick..OH shit" lets all party" that became Acceptable part of our culture..We saw the same thing with the OUT Law of Booze in the 20s..Thank you Al Capone and the MOB..

The NEED to change our Mental conditions is REAL..Its called life..and its a FACT that Intoxication has been around for as long as Mankind has been able to figure out how to get High and or Drunk..

So for someone who HAS seen and tryed every drug thats been made (except Crack) I warn you!!!!!

Intoxication is DANGEREST and if not controled it will KILL you..It stops your mental growth and your SPIRTURAL growth also..

But thats on YOU. There are ways to control your emotional condition,Unfortunatley Its easyer and more cultureley Exceptable to drink too much or stay stoned rather than to DEAL with the Emotional problems we have.

Now I will say if you have Cancer and you cant eat and eating a pot brownie helps you ? well thats between you and the Doc.Its all about choice,I choise NOT to get High for over 30 years..

BECAUSE my Daughters deserve a BETTER MAN than an OLD Pot HEAD who could NOT CONTROL a Memtal need to ESCAPE life..I know my own degree of Addiction and stay away from it...Im better with out it..

Thats the Bottom line..I choise NOT to give in and let something Control me..Legal or not legal..Does NOT matter..

JMHO

You do what you want....