Sign in to follow this  
TCC6310

Dollar Store Preps

This may have been posted already, not sure, so feel free to delete or move.

So many people go out and buy the Mountainhouse foods and brands as such, not saying you shouldn't, but for a bug in situation, you can use alot of cans right? Well at the dollar store they have tons of cans! Of everything! Fruits, veggies, meats, whatever. And only a buck a pop! I would strongly suggest for you guys, if you are setting up a bug in pantry, shop at the dollar store. Same food for a fraction of the price.

I gotta say, there are some really good deals if you look at places like Big Lots and the Dollar Store. By just picked up a ton of canned goods at Big Lots for about half of what I would have paid at my local grocery store (BL routinely runs REAL 20% off everything in the store). Some of those canned goods are going in the cupboard while others are squirreled away for later use. BTW, be sure and check the expiration dates when it comes to rotating foods.

Now, I don't have a problem paying a premium for some things, but kitchen matches, batteries, pork n beans, these to me are fungible goods and getting them at Big Lots or Dollar Store stretches the money for more. I use coupons but often the store brand items are cheaper than the couponed item even with the discount.

My family waits for deals to stock up on things, but we buy a lot when its on sale. We have been doing it for years but still never build up a permanent food storage. Although we do eat good for our budget.

The dollar store is good for a lot of things, some dollar stores are pretty good for food. Others like Dollar Tree, well I only buy a select few food products from there. The brownie mix sucks, and some stuff is just cheap ripoffs. But I get 100 bags (50 good cups) of green tea for $1 there so thats my deal of the month.

This may have been posted already, not sure, so feel free to delete or move.

So many people go out and buy the Mountainhouse foods and brands as such, not saying you shouldn't, but for a bug in situation, you can use alot of cans right? Well at the dollar store they have tons of cans! Of everything! Fruits, veggies, meats, whatever. And only a buck a pop! I would strongly suggest for you guys, if you are setting up a bug in pantry, shop at the dollar store. Same food for a fraction of the price.

I have 3 days worth of Mountain House pouches in the BOBs, but they are just for that...B.O. The only time I would eat them during B.I. is if the regular supply was low and/or the expiration date looms.

I too love the dollar stores. I've outfitted half of the BOBs using them. I really like SAMs too, for getting storage foods. Most commercially canned fruits and veggies are good for a couple of years. The best deal ever was 6 cans of white chicken meat for $10. That make a lot of chix soup.

Edited by MikeE

sometimes the dollar store has great prices but the amount of food in the package, can, etc... is not the same size as other stores.

many things there are a good deal but not quite as cheap.

You guys have a good point about getting what you pay for, but alot of my groceries for normal food are from dollar stores and it is just as good and just as much as normal stores like Walmart and Target and Albertsons, its the same stuff just cheaper, just in my expierences anywho

I got coffee filters for water purification, 2 packs of 100 each for a buck. Also found liquid skin adhesive,2 single use vials

for a dollar, bought six of them. Dollar stores are one of those places you need to check often stuff changes all the time.