Sign in to follow this  
Schoeny

Wool blanket + poncho + liner

Im curious if anyone has tried this combo, and what temp it would be good to? I eventually want one of the military surplus 3 bag sleep systems because I *know* those are rugged and would work even in a deep Minnesota winter. But right now I dont have the cash for one, so what I do have is the mil surplus poncho/liner and green wool blanket, with a sleeping pad. I was guessing that with a hat and maybe a neck gaitor it would be comfy down to around 40° or so, or am I way off on my estimation?

I use a wool blanket and a fleece blanket and I am comfortable at 40 to 50 degrees. So I would say your guess is good. Of course, there is one way to find out for sure. :rolleyes:

Heh, I do plan on going to test it out in a couple of weeks. Last night it got down to 19° though, so I am going to let it warm up a little more before I give it a shot. I dont mind roughing it, but I dont want to spend a completely miserable night either lol.

And I have the exact same configuration for my wife, so I figured shared body heat and 2 blankets and 2 liners would make it survivable down to around 0° or so... But there is no chance of her agreeing to test that out lol.

With my wife its the cold and not the discomfort of camping that she hates. She wont go to a hockey game, or even sledding with a car parked at the bottom of the hill to hop into and warm up in if she gets cold. I cant figure out why she was still here in MN when I met her, but Im not complaining ;)

With my wife its the cold and not the discomfort of camping that she hates. She wont go to a hockey game, or even sledding with a car parked at the bottom of the hill to hop into and warm up in if she gets cold. I cant figure out why she was still here in MN when I met her, but Im not complaining ;)

She was just waiting for the right hot guy to come along! :P

Very interesting 101Matt. For my money though I would think the combo I have would be slightly warmer and more versatile, although it is also probably a bit more bulky also. And I would think they would be darn close in price. I paid around $10 each for the wool blanket, poncho liner, poncho, and ground pad. Although you could carry a poncho with your set up and probably they would be about the same.