Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Battle Ax anyone?

Am I the only semi-sane man that has just had to have a battle ax? I know it isn't a great choice for nearly any situation these days but MAN, can you imagine the shock factor on some silly punk. An ax is like an ice pick there ain't any just little injuries a man intends when he comes at you with that sort of thing.

I have a couple. The Cold Steel Bad-Ax is fun to play with.

It is also hard to use in tight quarters. I have a mace head on my cane - not an ax but a very effective weapon in its own right. Never want them to be that close but if they ever are, remember "violent enough, quickly enough" and maybe you can end it before it even starts!

Guest kevin

i keep several axes(9). none were designed for battle, just felling, trimming and splitting wood........but i think they'd work for the other just as well.

I use a cold steel Blackthorn. It is even better than my aluminum baseball bat because when I have it with me I can always hope that some dumb punk will mistake me for someone that is feeble. LOL There is just not much that is more satisfying than that.

I KNOW that a battle ax isn't good for much in the way of real fighting these days I like a hawk better than it even but there is just something about them that warms the cockles of my little heart. Maybe I'm just channeling my Viking ancestors love for them. One whole branh of my family is made up of BIG Red heads. Sadly I take after my Mama and am the runt. She's German I'm built like a fire plug and I stopped growing when I was only 6'2". Can liking a battle ax be a genetic disposition though? LOL

I will admit that a battle axe would be pretty bada@#, however it is not very practical for carrying or even defensive purposes. Being so large it would take a lot of energy to move any distance and it would make you pretty slow in a fight. I have a Irwin brand axe and a SOG fasthawk, I love the design of axes so being in a slightly smaller package these two are great for everything.

I had an encounter with a Dane Axe several years ago. It was a handmade period representative axe, the real deal if you will. It was neither heavy, nor ungainly and the owner would use it to chop wood occasionally, and it managed the task pretty well, but when you handled it you could just feel that it was made for less benign purposes.

Like Danm I think I was channeling my ancestral memory when I got my hands on it (not really, but it was an odd feeling to know my ancestors had dominated the iron age with these weapons and a thousand years later here I was holding one).

I think a real battle axe, not a modern interpretation would be a mighty fine tool to have on hand. Most were only slightly larger than hawks, and very few outside of a handful of ceremonial examples were the large double bit behemoths that dominate cinema. The design was so timeless and effective that examples can be found across most cultures from Europe, Asia, and Africa, with stone and glass edged variants found all throughout the Americas.

Just my thoughts.

I KNOW that a battle ax isn't good for much in the way of real fighting these days I like a hawk better than it even but there is just something about them that warms the cockles of my little heart. Maybe I'm just channeling my Viking ancestors love for them. One whole branh of my family is made up of BIG Red heads. Sadly I take after my Mama and am the runt. She's German I'm built like a fire plug and I stopped growing when I was only 6'2". Can liking a battle ax be a genetic disposition though? LOL

Ummm...Germans used axs too, your just catching it from both sides.

I have one that I got from my dad...its a 1 kilo head and with a 20" handle at 18' I put it through a 2x6 that we were using as our backstop and I'm a little guy at 6'.

must be tha SCA thing coming out, Yes i still have mine and i occasionally like play with my norse battle ax may not always stick it in the target but it gonna hurt if i have to use it.

In the US guns are so readily available that I wouldn't think an ax would be very practical.....until you run out of bullets that is. I trained a bit with sticks and blades, etc. In a close combat situs.

I would easily take a battle ax or tomahawk over a knife simply because of the power to cut through any defense. Vikings, Saxons and Franks often preferred an ax over a sword, my guess is because it chopped through chain mail/armour more easily than a sword. However, if my opponent was not armored I'd also take a good double edged hand and 1/2 sword over an ax. A shield and shorter sword even better, especially the light weight Viking shields because they are designed to trap your opponent's blade in the shield edge and open him up for a strike:

Back to battle axes/tomahawks. I'm not an expert but I believe the key to a fighting axe opposed to a tool axe is the light weight head and specialized shape. Plenty of replicas available on the cheap of Viking, Saxon, etc. axes. Next, you need to know how to swing it or throw it as everything has technique.

Often times battle axes are not symmetrical but have top or bottom (bearded ax) on the blade designed to impact first when swung or thrown to concentrate the force into a much smaller area/point than say a tree chopper where you hit in the middle of the blade first.

example:

Finally, with all fixed blade knives/axes etc. I STRONGLY recommend a cord or loop installed at the bottom of the handle to wrap around your wrist in order to keep the damn thing in near your hand if you loose your grip and also so your enemy doesn't strip it from you.....

How this helps,

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

I have the SOG battle axe. I like it alot. It is modeled they say after the old throwing axe. It is the Christmas gift I was given a couple of years ago and now I made sure all of my family has one. It has multiple uses including being able to bust out your car window from the inside incase of an emergency.

Don't have a real battle axe except the cheap Cold Steel Bad Axe I bought on a garage sale one time, not real sure why. I did love the Highlander TV show way to much for a couple years though and aquired a cheap katana with a 440 steel blade I put a good edge on. It wasn't quality though or full tang, the plastic handle cracked halfway up when my college roommate was using it to kill a bat that had made it into our garden shed. While on that kick I picked up a Windlass steelcraft hand and a half bastard sword with sharpened edges. I still have it stashed away, it feels like it's made pretty well and has a heck of an edge. Not sure why I need it, but I haven't found a reason to get rid of it. Also have a couple hawks that I actually use.

I would go with a hawk all day long for versatility, but my little bad axe is my go to for a straight up fight or home protection. It's short shafted for tight work (I'm 5'5" so closeupandpersonal is my middle name) yet long enough to get good inertia and has a great feel plus the double wing design makes traps and joint manipulation a breeze. Yeah it doesn't throw worth a damn but I've never been real keen on throwing away my weapon during a hand to hand fight.