Sign in to follow this  
DocWalt81

Lawful Good or Every man for himself

Ok so, given the fact that if SHTF laws go out the window. Survival of you and yours is your prime motivation. If you come upon someone who has something vital to your survival but unwilling to trade for it what would you do? What about if you come upon a group of bandits? Strong but predatory in nature. DO you join up for survival, avoid them, or take them out for the good of everyone else?

Chaotic good. It adds a little spice!

If they are a direct threat to my family, one of us stops breathing. If I can sneak around them and disappear, excellent! If they won't trade I'll go elsewhere and wish them the same treatment. But if they're jacking the price up cause they see I'm in dire need, I'll discuss the situation with them, up close like.

As I've said, I'll do what's needed if needed, there's only one person I have to stand in front of and explain to, and I will accept what judgement is given.

Edit: I don't work well with groups, but, given the option of join or y'all die, I still have to ask "what are we joining?".

Edited by Gilla

Wow, I personally don't think I can honestly answer these kind of questions unless the S actually HTF. But I'd like to think I could do what needs to be done to protect mine from any banditos (or avoid them)....as far as needing something someone else has but doesn't want to trade, let it go, find another way to find whatever it is.

The day a man stops having honor he stops being a man. I have no desire to be an animal. I will kill an animal without hesitation or remorse...especially if I become that animal. That isn't survival to me, survival means honor to me. Sorry I don't see a person who is without honor as even being human. They are just another bipedal animal and if they cause me a problem I kill them. If they act with honor they need never fear me as long as they don't threaten me or mine.

The day a man stops having honor he stops being a man. I have no desire to be an animal. I will kill an animal without hesitation or remorse...especially if I become that animal. That isn't survival to me, survival means honor to me. Sorry I don't see a person who is without honor as even being human. They are just another bipedal animal and if they cause me a problem I kill them. If they act with honor they need never fear me as long as they don't threaten me or mine.

Very well stated Dan.

Well said, sir. Without a sense of right and wrong we are lost as human beings. Honor is what drives us in many cases. Honor is the one thing that I can control and that is important enough to swear by.

Scout Oath "On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my Country, (to be square - not in the current oath), and to obey the Scout Law. To help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

This is one of the first oaths I ever took. I note there is no expiration time on this oath. I am not at all surprised that the "progressives" hate the BSA. Sounds like a preppers creed, doesn't it?

Well said, sir. Without a sense of right and wrong we are lost as human beings. Honor is what drives us in many cases. Honor is the one thing that I can control and that is important enough to swear by.

Scout Oath "On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my Country, (to be square - not in the current oath), and to obey the Scout Law. To help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

This is one of the first oaths I ever took. I note there is no expiration time on this oath. I am not at all surprised that the "progressives" hate the BSA. Sounds like a preppers creed, doesn't it?

I agree Capt. The progressives seem to be doing everything they can to either "reinvent" Scouts or get them stopped. United Way quit giving donations to the Scouts, so I no longer will even give them (united way) pocket lint for a donation. I have them ranked right "up" there with the red cross for being a charitable organization.

Guest kevin

I too am in agreement with dan. just because i really need it doesn't make it ok to take it. besides if you start down that slope soon you will start seeing things you want as things you need. i'd rather die with honor than live without it. as far as the bandits go i'd view them the same as any other predator, is it worth the ammo it'd take to be rid of them? if the answer is yes , let the games begin.

I have lost my temper, but I have never once thought about being a thief. To me, there is no justification, excuse or rationalization that can be used to cause me to destroy my moral compass. I want to avoid trouble, that does not make me a wimp however. If trouble follows or worse, I/we, will deal with it in a lawful appropriate manner, regardless if there is no rule of law or moral conduct. I will not sit idly by and watch innocents, ( seniors, women or children) be harmed by anyone anytime, it,s just a part of who I choose to be. Therefore, I cannot qualify to be a "progressive thinker", the ends do not justify the mans, nor am I or will I ever be, politically expedient. Just a thing with me.

Honor there is no honor how do you defend yourself against a world with no rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-UQG7k1uX0&feature=related

just because 2 factions agree he takes it upon himself to alter the constitution what if both parties

agree that 10 year olds can have consensual intercourse??

what if both sides agreed that martial law for no reason should be implemented?

what if both sides agreed that your home and land is public property and make you take in others

or get kicked into the streets.

what if both sides think we need a king?

what if both sides agree to give up our national sovereignty and our rights to the U.N. what will

this guy do?

We have lost our way this is a street fight there are no rules and your not a mind reader so what I or

anyone thinks is a moot point we have people at the national level who do not know right from wrong.

we are about to elect another shape shifter.

I am with you 100% on the Scout Oath and Scout Law. When people ask me about it I tell them that this the only guidance in life I need. It tells me what TO DO instead of wasting time telling me what NOT TO DO!

Gilla I went back and read your comment and find nothing there that I really disagree with. If a man has a canteen of water and I'm thirsty he has the right to save that for himself but if he has several barrels of water and yet denies me...

Honor is totally different than law or legal or general consensus. Honor is PERSONAL. I have a set of standards that I live by and with. Whether or not others share that standard with me is irrelevant to me. It can be legal and still be immoral...Conversely it can be illegal and still be morally correct.

I think that discussions like this are GREAT. We ALL see a different world. Our perceptions are colored by our backgrounds and experiences and while I have some set in stone beliefs I also try REAL hard to understand that others have every right to see things differently. The only time anyone has need to worry is when their belief becomes a threat to me or mine. Only through open and honest discourse can there be understanding.

Do you guys know how rare it is for anyone to even discuss the concept of honor anymore?? My husband always used to tell me: My word is my bond, my handshake is giving my word. We both always felt that once we took the oath to defend this country, that was for forever. Just because I'm (kinda) over the hill now, hasn't changed that. I will live by that oath until the day my god calls me home.

Do you guys know how rare it is for anyone to even discuss the concept of honor anymore?? My husband always used to tell me: My word is my bond, my handshake is giving my word. We both always felt that once we took the oath to defend this country, that was for forever. Just because I'm (kinda) over the hill now, hasn't changed that. I will live by that oath until the day my god calls me home.

Honor, Good Name, Courage, Pride.... So many of these things that have been cornerstones in my life are fading or being twisted for political effect. It's a personal code of behavior, once more common, and as you pointed out now quite rare. Everyone looks to the law as boundaries for what they can get away with these days.

That oath we both took once I see been used as a snare to compel people rather than a star to guide them. These are very dark days, and very difficult ones, if you hold to an ideal of morality that binds you to act with honor and integrity.

Gilla I went back and read your comment and find nothing there that I really disagree with. If a man has a canteen of water and I'm thirsty he has the right to save that for himself but if he has several barrels of water and yet denies me...

Honor is totally different than law or legal or general consensus. Honor is PERSONAL. I have a set of standards that I live by and with. Whether or not others share that standard with me is irrelevant to me. It can be legal and still be immoral...Conversely it can be illegal and still be morally correct.

I think that discussions like this are GREAT. We ALL see a different world. Our perceptions are colored by our backgrounds and experiences and while I have some set in stone beliefs I also try REAL hard to understand that others have every right to see things differently. The only time anyone has need to worry is when their belief becomes a threat to me or mine. Only through open and honest discourse can there be understanding.

so when does it change 1 canteen 1 gallon a 15 gallon barrel or a 60 gallon barrel?

when you come back the second day the third the start of the second week?

so when do I cross the line or when did you and what should I do if we are both armed

when do you think I am a punk, what if I have a family to water and feed what then?

if you ask am I suppose to give you information like I only have 1 bottle of antibiotics?

when does this turn ugly and am I suppose to wait until you decide after I turn my back?

I tell you what you prep for you and I will prep for me if you run out drop dead and do it quietly

because I will not care.

If a school bus full of orphans breaks down in front of my place am I suppose to take them in,

and feed and cloth them?

hey NATO and U.N. are people too what about our troops who knock on the door {think Katrina}

I not going to be in a talking mood I am not trading anything until I think civility has returned

everyone acts like this will be a summer camp event sorry it will be more like WWII ration stamps

for everything and people snitching you off if they see you with something they don't have.

I remember the story of a family that was raided and deprived of all their food because of a can of

pineapple found and made into a pineapple upside down cake a neighbor saw it and reported it like a

good little NAZI we had the same crap here and the authorities first thought was black marketeers.

they turned the house inside out opened the walls dug under the house and took all their SH*T

so go ahead be a boy scout and you will be in an interment camp waiting on a trial LOL

until hell freezes over.

the authorities will be without and catching any hoarder will be a feather in their cap and some will

go missing and just enough to hang you will be left.

that is why I say freeze dried meals and food cooking is going to bring a lot of attention you won't want.

and I know I KNOW IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN HERE...., WELL IT ALREADY HAS WE JUST SANITIZED IT

FROM HISTORY LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE WE DO NOT LIKE....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO there JCMS..

We are discussing things like Honor and how certain of us put it to work in a SHTF situation..NOT WHAT any politician says or does..

If your so sure that the Goverment is going to take everything and people acting like Nazis and everyone being self center,well you believe they are smarter and better organized than I do and it seems you have lost your faith in the American people.

I have not..

Honor is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

JMHO

Edited by 101matt

Honor is a fine quality to have, and if everybody behaves honorably, we're in good shape, but there are alot of people out there who have no clue what honor is and don't give a damn what our beliefs are, and some of them may have bigger guns, or be stronger, faster or all of the above. just sayin'.