Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheDefaultHuman

3 Things I don't Have, What to get first?

36 posts in this topic

I don't have......

My own Car/Van/Truck/ or Vehicles.

My own house/apartment/room.

A Bug out Bag.

-----------

What I do have....

An apartment with my family.

A family member has a car.

Everyday stuff.

A High School Diploma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm trying to get a job and start a small business and get a degree later on but right now I'm broke and trying to get to an area so I can get a job.

Job = Money

Money = Car/House/Supplies etc...

I need a Job and there are no minimum wage jobs in the area so I want to move which may be possible.

My main concern is what should I worry about in these current circumstances? I can't own a rifle/shotgun (I'm 18) unless I have my own house or car (with permits).

Rent is a lot so I have to save up for a house very fast. But I have no bug out bag (and no place to put it).

On the positive side I may be getting money and a job soon so what should my game plan be?

Get supplies? My own car? Or Apartment, Job, House?

My monthly income might be $250 at most but its really boring where I'm at and spending money on important things is hard when your really bored and want to get out of your current area.

You might want to work on a solid EDC first, if you don't have already. And, I really don't think I could answer your question without more info. What is your intended field of endeavour (work)? If you aren't okay with giving that don't worry. It would just make more sense to me what is first if I know what you want to do with your life. And, it could point to extra ways to crank up the cash, so your future could be here sooner. My best advice if you are bored is, learn a trade, like welding, auto mechanics, electronics, computer maintenance, knife sharpening, or other, or go to a farm and help with the livestock, garden or bees. That stuff is really cool if you are a hands on type of guy. I'll check back and see what else you have to say after you get some advice. Best of Luck!

Edited by survival101

you need your own set of wheels first bro.

having a car of your own opens up a whole new world of possibilities for you. i know places that wont

even hire you if you dont have a dependable means of transportation, and that doesnt mean getting dropped off and picked up either.

Edited by ricksconnected

Try to stay out of debt, that will help in the long run. What about a bicycle, scooter, or motorcycle? All can be had pretty cheap. That might get you back and forth this spring, summer, and fall, then you can save up to buy a cheap car to get through winter. Learn to be hands on - change oil, rotate tires, plugs and wires (even if its not your own - the family car) and work on skills. A chilton's manual or likewise will help to diagnose problems. Are you in an urban or rural setting? I would guess pretty urban being in an apartment. Is there any public transportation available? What are your interests as far as jobs or studies?

Given the economic climate, save your money at this point. You may need to get a vehicle for your job or to get hired. Start planning for your EDC/GHB and you emergency plan. Broach the subject with your family to test their receptivity, that will help you know how to plan. Effectively: are they preppers or sheeple? There's nothing wrong with sheeple, I have some in my family.

The best advice I can give you is to start learning skills. Fire making, snaring, shelter building, those will always be good skills to have.

Yes on everthing above..Car = job..dependable.....bored..READ and learn Skills..Plan with what you have.

when you have saved enough and have a car,pm me I will help you find a bug out bag for under $30.oo

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-69/USGI-WOODLAND-CAMO-Alice/Detail.bok

$17.88..medium with straps.to start.add $11.88 for a frame pluss shiping..

Learning to pack it and making a list of what you need and how to make what you cant afford should keep you from being bored..

JMHO..

Yes on everthing above..Car = job..dependable.....bored..READ and learn Skills..Plan with what you have.

when you have saved enough and have a car,pm me I will help you find a bug out bag for under $30.oo

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-69/USGI-WOODLAND-CAMO-Alice/Detail.bok

$17.88..medium with straps.to start.add $11.88 for a frame pluss shiping..

Learning to pack it and making a list of what you need and how to make what you cant afford should keep you from being bored..

JMHO..

as always your right on all of the above matt.

oh and thank you for offering to help the guy find a good bugout bag too. its high quality folks like yourself

that make up the members of this forum. together you folks make this forum #1.

So. Where to start? Living at home with parents? Great gig. So lets start with some lessons learned.

1) Get as much education as you can. High school/ tech school / college/ even continuing ed courses.

never stop learning. Internet, clubs ect.

2) Get a job. any job. work it as hard as you can. Never quit a job until you have a better job. Work

yourself up the ladder. Never be unemployed. its a killer on the money side of your plans.

3) Wife and kids are going to change all your plans for years to come. Dont jump into this until you ready.

and you will know when your ready.

Now get a job. any job. work it. be proud that you have made a first step and realize its a step the first step on you plan. So with a job i would not worry about a car for a while. Walk- bike- mass transportation hop a ride with friends and coworkers. First two will help keep you in shape. Like stated above start with either a EDC or BOB. Then i would work on a solid plan for bugging out or bugging in. You dont need a vehicle to bug out. Every bug out plan should include the fact you may have to beat feet out of there.

As for entertainment. budget budget budget. Maybe you only go out once a month. Nothing wrong with staying in and learning more about survival and all its facets. Set monthly goals. Set mile stones as well. Never forget what your ultimate goal is..... to give you and yours the best chance of surviving when things go very very wrong.

Make baby steps and soon you will be on your way. You have a whole community here to help with advise and encouragement. As a young man(you not me) i would tell you to look into OP-SEC and being the gray man as soon as possible. If you need something you can always PM me. i dont usually miss a day here.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Edited by awake

The Default has been around here pretty much since the beginning like many of us and he has started many good threads as well as added good opinions to existing threads. It pleases me very much to see someone at a young age take an interest in prepping and outdoor matters. There are lot of worse things he could be doing but just from hearing his stories and his questions makes me feel like he is a good kid and has some character. Not to take anything away from the process of doing without or figuring things out for yourself I propose setting The Default up with a little something from anyone who would like to contribute. PM me if you are intrested, small supplies, gift card to wally world anything. Default, PM me as well so that I know that this is alright with you and sorry fo hijacking your thread mate. Take care.

Someone said stay out of debt. Best advice you can ever get. Avoid credit cards at all costs unless you have the cash to back it up.

I might be willing to give up one of my plethora of backpacks that I have for free.

I agree with some of the others have said, in your free time, read alot, and make a plan. plan out your BOB and EDC, or a BOR (multiple actually). Once you have to money, I would suggest trying to find a cheap, yet dependable car, its amazing what you can find on craigslist. After the car I would suggest getting some supplies together. An apartment is useful yeah, but if you have a car, its not a necessity. I would try to find a place after you have all the other things in order.

I would like contribute a paracord ripcord and bracelet. I also have an extra fire piston I would like to add to the bag. Whats your wrist size default?

Right now its still winter but its becoming warmer. I have an uncle prepping atm but he never does email or anything and I can't contact him unless I drive 30 miles. My current town is KNOWN for the amount of welfare and poverty. But its not super crazy, just really boring, especially when you don't know many people.

We have no room in the house for projects really. But here is my plan.

Build up some money for the next month and get a semi-decent BOB. Then move with my older brother to an apartment in the city. I'll build up some money, help out my uncle (hes my back-up BOL atm) and work on my education then buy a decent car and supplies. Hopefully in a few years I'll have the money to get a house and farmland to start a food supply.

My mom and brother currently pay most of the bills and I'm living here at low-cost (we get foodstamps and disability). I can't do much but save up and move (everyone in this town recommends getting out of it). I went to 20+ businesses, and most aren't hiring, 8 or so said come back in march maybe.

If I move to a more city like area, I can walk to work even and there is always some type of work. I want to just work my ass off and get an associates degree. Then I will get a house and maybe a bachelors if the economy isn't crazy by then.

I love all types of science and jobs but my main interest is biology or agriculture, or start a business and a get a business degree too.

I browse bug out bag supply lists all the time just so I remember what I need, and I buy some it here and there but its not the same as having a BoB. Right now my main plan if SHTF is grab my household backpack and stuff it with stuff I need and go to my BOL.

I am planning to upgrade my EDC atleast if I cant get a bag, but if anyone wanted to help out then thats much appreciated.

I haven't learned many skills in the last little while (watched alot of documentaries though) but I have been eating healthy and maintaining good health so thats a plus. Once I have my own car and apartment I'll get my first gun, but thats a while from now. My best knife is the $25-$30 Foldable Bear Grylls Gerber knife.

I would like contribute a paracord ripcord and bracelet. I also have an extra fire piston I would like to add to the bag. Whats your wrist size default?

oh wow. this is just killer! you guys so rock. default, you got some cool guys trying to help ya make it happen bro. ok so who's pitchin in the car?????

I guess I could give up one of my hot wheel cars. Sorry man if I could afford a car for you I would pitch in butt having kids suck you dry! Ill keep rooting around tho see what I have and will get back. I did find another fire striker that can go in there as well as a paracord belt if you would like

I don't have......

My own Car/Van/Truck/ or Vehicles.

My own house/apartment/room.

A Bug out Bag.

-----------

What I do have....

An apartment with my family.

A family member has a car.

Everyday stuff.

A High School Diploma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm trying to get a job and start a small business and get a degree later on but right now I'm broke and trying to get to an area so I can get a job.

Job = Money

Money = Car/House/Supplies etc...

I need a Job and there are no minimum wage jobs in the area so I want to move which may be possible.

My main concern is what should I worry about in these current circumstances? I can't own a rifle/shotgun (I'm 18) unless I have my own house or car (with permits).

Rent is a lot so I have to save up for a house very fast. But I have no bug out bag (and no place to put it).

On the positive side I may be getting money and a job soon so what should my game plan be?

Get supplies? My own car? Or Apartment, Job, House?

My monthly income might be $250 at most but its really boring where I'm at and spending money on important things is hard when your really bored and want to get out of your current area.

Default,

Ask any of the Vets who've had lead going both ways and they'll tell you that bored is good. In RVN when I was not bored to near tears I was scared out of my mind!

Don't miss the opportunity to at least get an Associates Degree. It really helps in a job search. In jobs that don't require a BS, the AA degree is a big edge up on the HS diploma.

You're starting right and among friends here. We'll help as we can but living at home actually frees up some concerns. Don't settle for junk just to get started. Think about your life, what you want it to be and then move forward.

I do agree with capt bart, I went through a time in which I became fixated on "things" but after I got over that things went better because I focused more on the knowledge and skills aspect of prepping and the outdoors. Yes it is nice to have certain supplies and tools but those things can always be aquired later. I would rather have all the knowledge and skills in the world over all the tools and supplies.

I'm going to sound a little nutty now but, a positive mental attitude.

It hit me when I reread the heading of this article "Three things I DON'T have...". I know it's a little thing but they can snowball.

Always watch the curbside mall. That's right, trash picking. My family has found bikes and lawn mowers out on the curb. One night I grabbed a Functioning a/c unit. And if you've a way to get it to a scrap yard. Scrap metal can add up quick.

Good thinkin' Gilla! Curb alert! Check on Freecycle in your town, it's a group on Yahoo. Anyone who has something free to give, or is setting out something usable on the curb can post. You get an email notification or can check listings periodically. You may be able to get some items that way.

Thats The Ticket..Gilla..

Ok so I dumster dived the sunday nite trash runs in a wealthy area in Florida.I got tons of chairs I refinished in my shop and made a great proffit..

So think out the box..recyle what you can..

Im making my own sleeping bag..because of a thread(she is working on it) and A note from our great Nana..

Im cheap and also have a budget..stay in the budget,we saved 3 months for our Alice pack..

So again your not alone and we will help ..Stay positive..

Uncle Matt..because your family..lol

tell you what i have an old marlboro backpack i dont use anymore. it's red and a little faded but is heavy made i used it for a GHB in my truck for years. it would make a good starter BOB if you want it's yours

tell you what i have an old marlboro backpack i dont use anymore. it's red and a little faded but is heavy made i used it for a GHB in my truck for years. it would make a good starter BOB if you want it's yours

Those are a really nice backpack Silver. I have one that I used on the trap line and it held up great with all the weight and abuse.

Those are a really nice backpack Silver. I have one that I used on the trap line and it held up great with all the weight and abuse.

I have a suturng kit that you can have for your med bag if you want.