Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

A Medic Bag to Survive 365 Days?

What would you need to survive a Year in average conditions with shelter and outside work daily?

Don't get complicated, if you need a certain $1000 prescription then that doesn't count.

I just want to make a simple compact medic bag with a lot of supplies, maybe make a list?

Thanks

(Bandaids, meds, gauss etc..)

Guest survival101

This sounds like something we could market: A medic kit for 365 days. Like an advent calendar. You get to open one package every day. The good Lord help us if you get snake bit on day 32, and the sawyer extractor is on day 112. Oops. (Just poking fun, I understand you completely but it tickled me when I read it.

Non-disaster medical bags would be different from what you would need if you are expecting civil unrest, or other issues that could involve traumatic injuries. In those circumstances, you could go through a lot of gauze dressings with just one hemorrhagic wound.

I'm working on developing different medical kits for different purposes, you can find my trauma modules at our shop at www.doomandbloom.net. The modules have a list of what's in them, I'm tweaking them at we speak so give me your input.

(this isn't an ad for buying them, just see what's in them and you can price the components out yourself and add what makes sense for you)

Dr. Bones

Doc,

I really liked your kit. I look forward to your other modules as some of the people I know were looking for something more to their skill level.

Thanks for listening to our feedback and utilizing it. I can't speak for everyone, but glad you took the time to look at the feedback and "tweak", it shows our thoughts count.

I know it gets complicated when it comes down too it. But I was thinking of something like this....

300 bandaids of different sizes.

100 gauss pads and tape.

10 of everything from the dollar stores medical aisle.

Tylenol, Antibiotics, Etc...

(Kinda ghetto right?)

This sounds like something we could market: A medic kit for 365 days. Like an advent calendar. You get to open one package every day. The good Lord help us if you get snake bit on day 32, and the sawyer extractor is on day 112. Oops. (Just poking fun, I understand you completely but it tickled me when I read it.

omg thats too funny right there. :P

I know it gets complicated when it comes down too it. But I was thinking of something like this....

300 bandaids of different sizes.

100 gauss pads and tape.

10 of everything from the dollar stores medical aisle.

Tylenol, Antibiotics, Etc...

(Kinda ghetto right?)

I would actually have more gauze than bandaids personally. Triple antibiotic cream, cold pressed aloe vera gel (for burns), alcohol wipes, peroxide, tweezers, tape, and your OTC meds would be a very basic kit. I would look at Doc Bones' module and the list for the M3 and figure what you can afford. 300 bandaids for a year is ALOT, unless you figure on getting a minor cut everyday.

Guest survival101

Looks like a good all purpose kit. I'm wanting a kit of basic surgical tools, and one of dental tools.

Looks like a good all purpose kit. I'm wanting a kit of basic surgical tools, and one of dental tools.

You can get a field surgical kit from Cheaper Than Dirt. I think they are around $30. I believe they have a dental kit as well, but I haven't paid alot of attention for that one.... my oversight. They also have "dental wax" for emergency fillings when in the brush. You may have to ppick up the dental instruments at flea markets, gun shows etc as piece meal.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?productID=43553

CTD didn't have any at moment but found this one for $25

Hi Everyone,

Here is my "kitchen sink" bag, it's what I will grab for the medical supplies if we have to leave quickly.

I will add my own IV supplies and airways (already in my other trauma bag too) to my personal bag.

Thanks,

Nurse Amy

http://store.doomandbloom.net/products/family-medical-bag.html

· Tourni-Kwik TK-4 Combat Tourniquet -1

· Styptic Pencil - 1

· CeloxTM Powder - 1

· 6inch Israeli Bandage - 1

· Multi-Trauma Dressing - 1

· Sovereign SilverTM 1 oz. First-Aid Gel - 1

· BurnJel4oz.-1

· Arnica Salve - 1 · Calendula Salve - 1 · Eucalyptus Salve - 1

· Triple-Antibiotic Ointment - 40

· Sterile gauze 4 x 4 - 20

· Non-sterile gauze 4 x 4 - 200

· ABD (abdominal dressing) - 10

· Alcohol pads - 20

· Antiseptic wipes - 20

· Betadine packets - 20

· Hydrogen Peroxide 2 oz. - 1

· Telfa gauze 3 x4 -20

· Petroleum dressing - 1

· Rolled Kerlix gauze - 12

· Assorted sizes of bandages - 70 (1x3, 2x3, knuckle and spot)

· Butterfly strips - 5

· Steri-strips (4 envelopes of 6/ea) - 24

· Metal bandage scissors 7 1/2 - 1

· 1Paper & 2Cloth tapes-3

· 60 cc wound irrigation syringe - 1

· Snake Bite kit - 1

· Emergency Solar blankets - 4

· Ammonia inhalants - 10

· Cotton balls - 100

· Trauma dressing 10 x 30 -2

·Scalpels #10 -3

· Doctor's Pen light - 1

· Magnifying glass - 1

· Curved Kelly clamp - 1

· Straight Kelly clamp - 1

· Disposable thermometers - 10

· Dental Extractor - 1

· Dental Scraper/Pick combo instrument - 1

· Clove oil - 1

· Zinc-Oxide powder - 2

· Dental mirror - 1

· Pill cups - 6

· Toothpicks ~ 50

· Tongue depressors - 10

· Cotton-tip applicators - 10

· Tweezers - 1

· Sterile towel - 1

· Nylon sutures 2-0 - 4

· Nail scissors - 1

· Betadine Swab sticks - 30

· Sterile gloves - 4 pairs

· Non-sterile Nitrile gloves - 40

· Eye-wash 4 oz. - 1

· Eyecup-1

· Eyepads-4

· Acetaminophen - 20

· Aspirin - 20

· Diphenhydramine - 20

· Ibuprofen - 20

· Antacid tablets - 6

· Anti-diarrheal - 6

· First-aid flip chart - 1

· Fels-Naptha® Soap - 1

· Sunscreen - 1

· Medicated Tush wipes - 5

· Moleskin Large strip - 1

· CPR protection mask - 1

· Ace bandages - 4

· Chux pads - 6

· Hand Sanitizer - 1

· N-95 masks - 4

· Surgical masks - 10

· Blood-Pressure Cuff & Stethoscope Set - 1

· Water purification tablets - 50

· Duct tape (5 yards) - 1

· Triangular bandages + Safety pins - 4

· Padded Conforming Splint 4 x 36- 1

· Large Safety pins - 20

· Ice packs - 2

· Gel Pack-Reusable (Hot/Cold) - 1

· Rehydration salts - 22

· Teas: Chamomile, Echinacea, Ginger, Senna - 27 bags

· Raw Honey 3.5 oz. - 2

· Honey packets - 10

· Ricola® throat lozenges - 10

· Lemon powder packets- 10

· Cayenne Pepper Powder - 1

· Premium Essential Oils: Eucalyptus, Geranium, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, Tea Tree - 6 bottles

· Ear Oil Herbal Remedy - 1

· Gum Health Tincture Herbal Remedy - 1

· Pain Tincture Herbal Remedy - 1

· Sleep Tincture Herbal Remedy - 1

· Gold Bond® Medicated body powder - 1

· Blistex® Lip balm - 10

hell I got a 20 gallon tote full of Kling

and a half dozen bed sheets "white" and another 20 gallon tote of supplies and a jump bag

if you have never been shot or stabbed or have been in major auto or motorcycle accidents

then your not going to understand the amount of bandaging that is required and it need to be changed

in a timely fashion and wounds need to be re cleaned hell I ain't sure I have enough.

I have been doing a bit of figuring

my arms are 18 inches in diameter my legs 30 inches just how in the hell does anyone

figure that a pocket purse of first aid crap going to do squat.

your better off having a box of panty liners i have a half dozen {they are sterile} have a sticky backing

also ace bandages and paper tape to hold it on a shoulder or leg so gravity does not drag it off.

tampax in my jump bag they are the same a pressure bandages and a some paper tape hold it on

the only reason I have paper tape is that no one I know has any rash from it.

a 2 inch wide roll you can tear it in half for small wounds band aids are ok but the large ones unless

you have little kids.

peroxide, alcohol, and providone iodine as well as antibiotic cream or your S.O.L. a butt pack is the least

size first aid pack and I pack my own I got surgical suture removal packs from my doctor has suture

scissors plastic tweezers and gauze for my bug in my bug out a Swiss army explorer has small scissors

and I use unwaxed dental floss or 6 pound test fishing line and upholstery needles semi circular or

you could use a bent needle. just easier than a straight needle.

deep lacerations and punctures need special treatment I will let Dr bones and Nurse Amy explain that

I am novice with lots of experience but I am not dead and thank god I have not had a major nerve or

tendon cut but that is pure luck for those not versed in religion.

if worse comes to worse you can use safety pins to hold it and suture

on each side but it has to be clean if not and there are no doctors you

are asking for it dirt has many microbes and harbors to many diseases

to mention and if you were in an area like Katrina just taping a would shut

without proper cleaning can have you loosing a limb or worse

cellulitus is a horrible malady a friend has it and it can be a lifetime

problem.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

good values are not ghetto! Your pack that is (probably) a cheap way to get the same thing others are paying big bucks for.

Mine is in a fishing tackle box.

The only thing I would warn you about is keep an eye on the expiration dates!

There seems to be a thought that the triple which I carried for years has an issue with a lot of folks and their skin. It cases an allergic reaction. Most medics now say to just use a double antibiotoc cream.

RangerRick

I would actually have more gauze than bandaids personally. Triple antibiotic cream, cold pressed aloe vera gel (for burns), alcohol wipes, peroxide, tweezers, tape, and your OTC meds would be a very basic kit. I would look at Doc Bones' module and the list for the M3 and figure what you can afford. 300 bandaids for a year is ALOT, unless you figure on getting a minor cut everyday.

There seems to be a thought that the triple which I carried for years has an issue with a lot of folks and their skin. It cases an allergic reaction. Most medics now say to just use a double antibiotoc cream.

RangerRick

Thanks for the info RangerRick. I hadn't heard that yet, so gives me something important to check out before I screw a family or group member up trying to help. Hopefully Dr Bones or Nurse Amy can even shed some light on this.

P.S. nice handbooks BTW

If you are allergic to a substance, you are just plain allergic. Double antibiotic creams are no better if you have to be allergic to one of the two antibiotics. Test with a little bit of cream on a patch of skin and see if you develop a reaction (redness, itchiness, swelling, etc.) over 24 hours.

Dr. Bones

I've been doing some research lately on different types and families of Anti-biotics. My wife is allergic to penicillin, where as i am not. I've found some useful information I thought was worth sharing:

FOR PATIENTS WITH PENICILLIN ALLERGIES:

http://www.allergizer.com/50226711/alternatives_to_penicillin_for_the_penicillinallergic.php

"Most infections that you would develop later in life could be treated with the fluoroquinolone class. This class includes ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin) and the newer drugs moxifloxacin (Avelox) and gatifloxacin (Tequin). We could also use the tetracycline class and the macrolides erythromycin (E-mycin), clarithromycin (Biaxin) and azithromycin (Zithromax). There are also other choices from other classes that would be safe for you to take."

People with Allergies to Penicillin can be treated by different 'families' of Anti-Biotics:

'Macrolides' and 'Tetracycline' types are most commonly used for people with allergies.

DO NOT USE 'Beta-Lactam' types for people with allergy to Penicillin.

If you google these family types, you can easily find the names of the anti-biotics that belong to that family. And i suggest reading up on Cipro

A buddy of mine and I were chatting over some beers a while ago, and as we're both combat vets, and he's a former medic and current paramedic so the conversation ended up turning to nasty traumas. He seems to like the newer AFD dressings. I've not had the opportunity to use one yet since no one around me has been kind enough to get horrible mauled yet, but here's hoping.... May be worth a look at least.