Sign in to follow this  
sherlockian100

Helping to bring the wife on board...help

Have you been talking to Reg7??..lol thats the plan for testing my new alice..wild garden..Bulbs..;)

the flower I will be taking is also a herb..

Calendula officinalis

Calendula syn. Pot Marigold

Ok i researched it a bit,

Traditional use:

Calendula was used in German folk medicine as a remedy for wounds and glandular

problems. (Wood). Used historically as ‘poor man’s saffron,’ calendula adds both color and

flavor to some foods, typically rice and chowders. It was prevalent in European marketplaces

during the Middle Ages and was a common soup-starter.

JMHO..

Edited by 101matt

101Matt, I've been meaning to ask you if you plant marigolds with your tomatoes, and if so what kind do you use to ward off those pesky aphids? Your post above reminded me to ask.

Have you been talking to Reg7??..lol thats the plan for testing my new alice..wild garden..Bulbs..;)

the flower I will be taking is also a herb..

Calendula officinalis

Calendula syn. Pot Marigold

Ok i researched it a bit,

Traditional use:

Calendula was used in German folk medicine as a remedy for wounds and glandular

problems. (Wood). Used historically as ‘poor man’s saffron,’ calendula adds both color and

flavor to some foods, typically rice and chowders. It was prevalent in European marketplaces

during the Middle Ages and was a common soup-starter.

JMHO..

Excellent idea; also check and see what the local Indians used for medicine in your area. Those are plants you know will grow in your locale and, while maybe not be as good as tetracycline, will do their jobs. Those old medicine men did know their stuff most of the time.

Good man!

I give you props!:)

Melissa,

Don't mean to put you on the spot here, but I'm an ancient pelican so .....

what does "give you props" mean? (I had to get "on the DL" explained to me the other day and then had to ask what "on the down low" meant as well! clueless I guess :confused:) I think it is a good thing the way I've seen it used but I'm kinda out of my element here. I'm still struggling with some of the texting abbreviations. Morse code I can do, text .... see previous comment about ancient pelican!:rolleyes:

Thanks.

Melissa,

what does "give you props" mean? (I had to get "on the DL" explained to me the other day and then had to ask what "on the down low" meant as well! clueless I guess :confused:) I think it is a good thing the way I've seen it used but I'm kinda out of my element here. I'm still struggling with some of the texting abbreviations. Morse code I can do, text .... see previous comment about ancient pelican!:rolleyes:

Thanks.

Awww Capt your tooo cute!:D

Down low- means in private or form others knowing.

Props- means respect,love,recognition for something good.

And Capt Bart i have to give you props for asking in open forum.:D

Melissa,

Thanks.

Capt Bart, I hear what you are saying. i have worked with several younger generation people and have had to tell them repeatedly to tell me again in English this time. LOL. They seem to have a language all there own. But i guess my parents said that about me as well.

Melissa, Thanks for explaining it the way you did.

My wife loves camping. The first few times it was car camping. Then it was a canoe , stay out over night with minimal stuff. Then She started working at REI (for those who don't know an outdoor store). She was required to take some of the freeze dried stuff for her job. The rest as they say is history. She loves it now and

realizes we can go pretty far/long without a lot of stuff.

The fire thing, well that was even easier. I took her and my mother in law camping 3 years ago. We were in some wet rainy weather and my M I L wanted a fire. it was getting late but was still light out (I live in Alaska). I gathered all of the necessary stuff for a fire and got out my flint and steel and struck a spark to the char cloth and put it into the birch bark tinder bundle. it wasn't long until we had a nice warm fire to sit by. I didn't know what i created. Soon I had my wife asking me questions about what i did. She had never seen such a thing and neither had MIL. On the next trip she wanted to know more. i got her playing with the

ferite rod and magnesium so she could see how it works. The next time we went on a 5 day canoe trip with MIL I had the fire going the first night. The next morning it was dreary and a little damp. I decided to lay

in for a bit while Her and MIL chatted. Pretty soon I hear the cracklin of the fire. I got up to see what was happening and my proud wife had gotten her first fire by means other than matches and lighters. She lit

the fire using the ferite rod and birch bark and some cotton wood down. Boy did I praise her for that. She did a great job with it. For the remainder of the trip she wanted to light the fire.

MIL was very inquisitive about it and has taken to watching the British version of some of the survival

shows because she wants to learn more. MIL is 70 years old and had an absolute ball on a 5 day canoe camping trip were we saw one other couple in 5 days of paddling.

I thought it was very adorable, and a good sign. My wife came home with some gear for the B.O.B. that she has been working on, which means, she took it upon herself to go to a camping supply store, without my prompting it. I used to have to beg her to go with me. I think maybe, she enjoys it more than she is letting on???

I thought it was very adorable, and a good sign. My wife came home with some gear for the B.O.B. that she has been working on, which means, she took it upon herself to go to a camping supply store, without my prompting it. I used to have to beg her to go with me. I think maybe, she enjoys it more than she is letting on???

You know you have it made when you bride says something like, "When can we go to Academy? I have a LIST!" At that point, she no longer needs persuasion, encouragement yes but not persuasion; she has come over to the prepper side.

:mad:That a rough question for a lot of married people. One wants to prepare for TSHTF and the other doesn't. I not married, so I don't have that problem. A friend of mind did. He solved the problem by getting rid of his wife. He told me that all she was was a mill-stone around his neck. He kids were grown so that wasn't a problem. I have relatives that think I am crazy for thinking about survival. Most people I talk to can see the danger we're in or they can't or won't.

The only solution (other that divorce) is to have the person who doesn't want to do survival planning to watch a move like "The Road". Maybe that would help. Maybe not.

I just came across this site, which is definitely "wife friendly" in terms of its design, approach, etc.:

http://www.yourownhomestore.com/

The author of the blog is a stay-at-home mom who has about a trillion ideas on food storage, emergency preparedness, and so forth. She also gives a great explanation for why she's obsessed with her food preps in particular here, which might be a great way to build some common ground with a reluctant spouse who sees your prepping as worrying for no good reason or an excuse to buy new toys instead of something that is truly worthwhile for the family.

Word of caution: She is partnered with/sells a food system called Thrive Q, so there is some promoting of that on her site. Okay, a lot of promoting. But it's actually kind of cool because it walks you through food preps and storage, rotation, etc. as part of a membership club. I'm not sure it's a better alternative than other food options out there, but it sure is pretty and color-coordinated for ease of use! ;)

Sherlock100.sounds like your making head way..Excelent......

MikeE..sent pm Im looking for correct flower!!!HERB to use..

TC..Family are the worst to get involved,they know better for some reason???

But,my

Nephew and nieces e mail me with a ton of questions..there is always hope.lol