Sign in to follow this  
bootstrap

Cell Phone Apps for Preppers

Many of us use so called Smart Phones. With the tons and tons of apps that are available, there must be some good ones out there for preppers. Besides the obvious use of GPS/maps and weather reports, what are some of the apps you have found useful for prepping and planning?

I have a Droid phone and have downloaded the USMC survival book, US Army survival book, a flashlight, and a "swiss army knife" app that includes a compass, ruler, level, flashlight, and a red/blue emergency light.

I'm a bit cheap and only download free apps, but that certainly doesn't need to limit the discussion.

Guest survival101

Does that app track your usage? Gather information? I often wonder about this stuff. I avoid custom toolbars on my laptop for that reason. If so, I would just think about limiting the number of survival related apps you use. Op Sec and all. That's why I have a really low tech phone. That and I'm too cheap to pay out for the advanced technology.

I have an Android app that was free called "Prepper Plan It" It is an inventory app of all the items I have/use. So, if it is time to re-order something, or if I don't have it yet, but want it, the app lets me know. The only down fall is the time it takes to put your initial inventory into the app.

Does that app track your usage? Gather information? I often wonder about this stuff. I avoid custom toolbars on my laptop for that reason. If so, I would just think about limiting the number of survival related apps you use. Op Sec and all. That's why I have a really low tech phone. That and I'm too cheap to pay out for the advanced technology.

I don't believe it does. It's basically the SAS survival manual downloaded to your phone. No real need to track what part you may have read, they know you have the entire text.

On the plus side I have never noticed anything subversive in the text, it shouldn't be a watched book. Now if you download the improvised explosive manual to your phone- expect to grow a tail quickly. Lol

@Sherlockian - that was the "dream app" I was really thinking about, something for inventory control.

It would certainly be nice to have something that could not only let you know what you have, but facilitate you doing a walk-through of your stores to confirm that what you THINK is there is actually still there. And if it could log expiration dates and give you reminders at a certain interval before the items are expired, even better! (Imagine getting a notice 6 months in advance of canned foods that are going to expire - that would give you a chance to either use them yourself or donate them to a local food pantry and maybe get a tax credit, allowing you to buy more later.)

I know there are PC-based applications that do this - we actually looked into doing a vending machine set-up for business supplies at a company I worked for, and it would inventory itself as things were removed, then send the purchasing manager a notice to restock. How handy would that be in everyone's storage sheds, cellars, or BOLs?

I have a few apps

- Prep & Pantry

- Its an invintory app but what is real nice is that you can scan the bar code and it imputs all the info

for you. It gives you the expiration, you can sort by location, which allows you to keep track of

inventory at your BOL location. It also allows you to make a shopping list for items you need.

- SAS survival

- Bear Grylls

- WikiHow Survival

- Survival Feeds

- Rss feeds of various survival articles on multiple sites

- iTriage

- Emergency Radio Scanner

Many of us use so called Smart Phones. With the tons and tons of apps that are available, there must be some good ones out there for preppers. Besides the obvious use of GPS/maps and weather reports, what are some of the apps you have found useful for prepping and planning?

I have a Droid phone and have downloaded the USMC survival book, US Army survival book, a flashlight, and a "swiss army knife" app that includes a compass, ruler, level, flashlight, and a red/blue emergency light.

I'm a bit cheap and only download free apps, but that certainly doesn't need to limit the discussion.

Which swiss army knife app do you have? There's 2 that come up.

Remember, the courts have ruled that a police do not need a warrant to go through your cell phone! Be careful what you put there. In England a few years back (may still be, don't know) it was considered hording and illegal to have more than 10 children's Tylenol in the house!

What is legal to have today, may become illegal tomorrow and if you have an app on your phone that says you have it, the LEO have PC to get a warrant for your house! Even though we're all good little do-bees and turn stuff in as soon as the government says we should, forget to remove it from your phone and you have folks tearing your house apart. Not something I look forward to having happen.

Remember, the courts have ruled that a police do not need a warrant to go through your cell phone! Be careful what you put there. In England a few years back (may still be, don't know) it was considered hording and illegal to have more than 10 children's Tylenol in the house!

What is legal to have today, may become illegal tomorrow and if you have an app on your phone that says you have it, the LEO have PC to get a warrant for your house! Even though we're all good little do-bees and turn stuff in as soon as the government says we should, forget to remove it from your phone and you have folks tearing your house apart. Not something I look forward to having happen.

Good point Capt Bart.