Sign in to follow this  
brickintubesock

Survival Psychology: What Would You Miss?

Guest survival101

I bet. In Texas Ice isn't just a luxury. It's an absolute necessity.

@Chick, I doubt I'll be prepping for luxuries in my lifetime. It will take that long to acquire the basics. As the old song goes, "I've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there." lmao. :D

Edited by survival101

Survival, I definitely see your point, but the reason I started this thread was because I realized that my weaknesses are my weaknesses, and if I want to grow beyond them, I have to acknowledge them before I can think about how to overcome them. Also, sometimes, things aren't weaknesses as much as preferences, so it helps me decide what's unrealistic in an SHTF situation, and what I might be able to budget into my life.

The way I see it, the person who can't think about how much they miss Burger King during an SHTF situation without blowing up, won't be as well off as the person who can acknowledge their old life and keep on going in stride.

good night

as it takes power IE. oil or gas LNG or LP even coal boilers need trucks and trains to keep them

filled to run everything we have now will be gone the quality and quantity even if we just go through

a economic downturn and shipments from foreign country are halted for failure of payment.

everything literally comes anywhere but here so it could be a long dry spell.

Even if civility remains and we are destine for a drought of common items should any event as an

EMP or numerous other scenarios the same problem truck and train bring everything but rain

drivers are not going to work if disease or power problems between areas of delivery.

power an be rerouted but that means power black outs in revolving sequence.

government pricing controls and black market scams will abound hijacking of trucks and trains.

prices will fluctuate wildly for any event even with government controls animal feed and hay

last 2 years if kept dry.

in time all things make a new normal but because we are not the same dreaded White America

we will not go back to white picket fences clean streets and shaded sidewalks

it will be something but not that and that is my opinion unvarnished and I do not have any axe to grind

if you lived in the 1970 if you can recognize anything your very confused or in dementia.

fish hooks

needles for all purposes leather cloth etc.

fishing line if you do not have it probably be horded

glue all will go bad in time powdered wood glue may be best to keep and some

material any kind, I have many yards of muslin

quality rope

animal traps flat spring coil or live

copper wire for repairing or converting it would used for other purposes

coffee tea they are imported as well as many fruits and vegetables.

steel cable, chain, hardware hinges nails tools

paper toilet or otherwise

heirloom seeds of any kind

medications of any kind

and all of your plastic with break in a year so get stainless of be without.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I would miss cold diet cokes and new science fiction books. And once I ran out of 100LL I would miss flying terribly! :(

Rod,

Yep, flying is something I miss to this day. Between cost and medical issues, I just can't anymore. The sky, perhaps even more than the sea, calls to you. You can always tell the pilots, they're the ones who always look up when a plane goes over. The poor mortals who have never controlled their own destiny the way a pilot does may not even hear the plane, but the pilot does; I think I'm pathologically incapable of not checking out what's overhead when I hear an engine. I do miss it.

The books bring up the other thing. I'm truly not being snobbish here, I would miss the intellectual climate. My friends are few, my acquaintances many. Finding people after TSHTF that I can talk to, exchange ideas with, be challenged by, share viewpoints with, that I will miss.

You guys are part of that by the way. Grid down, we don't communicate. A few of you have called me on some mistakes I've made (thank you by the way) and I'll miss that if it's not there. I always have said I'll retire to a university/college town for the library. Not quite as needful with the internet but grid down?

Perhaps a college town is necessary for me. I'm thinking of the Twilight Zone episode about the guy who is the only one left with an intact library and he breaks his glasses. The difference is, I know how to build a magnifying glass that would let me read the books! Still, many of the western pioneers carried the great books of the day for just that reason. The mind must survive as well as the body.

I would miss you guys.

Rod,

Yep, flying is something I miss to this day. Between cost and medical issues, I just can't anymore. The sky, perhaps even more than the sea, calls to you. You can always tell the pilots, they're the ones who always look up when a plane goes over. The poor mortals who have never controlled their own destiny the way a pilot does may not even hear the plane, but the pilot does; I think I'm pathologically incapable of not checking out what's overhead when I hear an engine. I do miss it.

The books bring up the other thing. I'm truly not being snobbish here, I would miss the intellectual climate. My friends are few, my acquaintances many. Finding people after TSHTF that I can talk to, exchange ideas with, be challenged by, share viewpoints with, that I will miss.

You guys are part of that by the way. Grid down, we don't communicate. A few of you have called me on some mistakes I've made (thank you by the way) and I'll miss that if it's not there. I always have said I'll retire to a university/college town for the library. Not quite as needful with the internet but grid down?

Perhaps a college town is necessary for me. I'm thinking of the Twilight Zone episode about the guy who is the only one left with an intact library and he breaks his glasses. The difference is, I know how to build a magnifying glass that would let me read the books! Still, many of the western pioneers carried the great books of the day for just that reason. The mind must survive as well as the body.

I would miss you guys.

I think I'm a pilot at heart then. I don't just look at the planes, I look at birds too. I don't know much about planes but I like to see whats above (especially when its not a commercial plane). If life is good to me, I plan on learning to fly when I'm in my 30's.

I have to agree with you Capt. I would miss this forum and the people on it.