Sign in to follow this  
brickintubesock

Survival Psychology: What Would You Miss?

One of the worst things about a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario will be staying sane, and to do that, you have to know which things about this life you need to learn to live without. Sure, your daily coffee or weekly bowling match might not seem like a crippling loss, but when SHTF, you'll wish you'd prepared. Recently I thought about this myself, and was shocked at how much I would miss. What would you miss? What are you surprised you won't miss?

I would miss Guinness, warm showers, playing with my dogs outside, the internet, driving for fun, loud music, my favorite picnic table at the park, and new TV shows. And since I probably won't be able to take it with me, I'll miss my bass guitar a lot.

I don't think I'll miss too many people unless the very few I'm close to, aren't fortunate when It happens.

I would miss watching a good movie on the big screen, getting clean water out a faucet whenever I want it, and air conditioning. I love the internet but I think could get over it quick. I would not miss cell phones and always being connected to everyone. I miss the days when if I wasn't at home then I didn't have to worry about getting a phone call and everyone always knowing where I was.

I do not think that there are too many things which I would miss. I am sure that I would have to make quite a few adjustments to my life style and learn new ways of doing things and entertainment. I would miss my good friends and family, assuming that they were not with me. I do not know if I would have time to miss too much just trying to stay alive. I have learned that I can do without many physical things. When you get to a certain age then some of the things which you thought at one time that you couldn't do without, just seem meaningless. There are a lot of things which can be taken away from you except one......What you have learned. And that is about all you need and are left with in the end.

im not sure what i'll miss. the grocery store, warm showers, security as i know it now, this website,

maybe freedom depending on how bad it gets, A/C, my friends, my bed if i bug out, there is just so much we take for granted now that we will miss when SHTF.

The luxury of being lazy. The internet and communicating with friends and family members who live miles and miles away. Fast food and restaurants. Hot showers. Getting new things - clothes, books, music, movies, whatever, almost as soon as I think I'd want them. All of the girly fragrance items I buy (oh, Philosophy Cinnamon Buns, how I will miss smelling like thee; but given that there *are* bears in the woods, I will not be stockpiling you in my BOL). Pedicures.

I'd miss hot baths.

I got to jump off grid for a month last summer. No running water, no electric, no sewer, ate out of the garden, very poor cell service so my phone was off most of the time, and it was hotter than ever the whole time, but it was so relaxing. Granted, it wasn't TEOTWAWKI , so didn't have to worry about other people trying to get us and I wasn't having to take care of everything all by myself. I hated coming home and getting back to the grind stone. Sure, some things take more effort, like cooking and laundry and watering the garden when you have to carry the water by hand because there's no hose, but there isn't the distraction and demands associated with our streamlined modern life.

I'll miss watching my children being kids. They will miss out on the innocent parts of their lives if a long term event unfolds. I only hope I can spare them as much as possible (on top of hoping prepping is a "hobby and for academic purposes only").

Guest survival101

Not to be a spoilsport, But isn't this thread counterproductive? To lament what you will have lost, when nothing has yet happened? More productive to embrace the concept of change, even hardship, if it is necessary, and practice every day of your life to make a short mental list of what you are grateful for. I'm grateful for running water, air conditioning and heat, indoor plumbing. My list is a lot longer, but I'm thankful for those every day.

Survival, I try to not look at it as counterproductive but to reinforce WHY I prep. If I am prepared, my children shouldn't have to "grow up too fast", other than having a "different" set of chores.

But I do see your point.

@Survival

You make a valid point. However, some of this can also be a reminder of what we should prep for in terms of luxuries after we've taken care of basic needs. For example, if we're all aching for hot showers, then maybe that's a goal we can set for our BOLs: how to have enough water/energy to make that feasible and sustainable over the long haul. And other things are a simple trade-off, but something that it may pay to remind myself about. Will I miss all of the shower gels and lotions that smell like food? Yes, but I'd rather NOT smell like food to the large predators in my area, so I'm willing to let that go! ;-)