Sign in to follow this  
jessiecrafty1

best way to pack fishing line

i need ideas on the best way to pack fishing line. the rest of the fishing supplies are in a medium sized prescription bottle. i tried wrapping the line about the bottle but it doesnt seem to hold well, even when taped down, it slides back off the bottle. i dont know if perhaps i wasnt wrapping it well or what. i was considering a thread spool or maybe bobbin. i dont know but maybe a kite string spool might work, but i fear it may take up too much room. ive seen fishing line wrapped in a circle and the ends taped down but im afraid that will go the way of the pill bottle and ill end up with a big tangled mess again.

I like to glue a piece of cardboard tubing into a plastic chew can and wind it up inside. You can get really fancy and put a small hole in the can with a holder notch and free floating spool.... Yeah, I have had too much time on my hands in the past.

I cut a pencil to about 4 inches put a slice in the eraser to put the end of the line in and than wrap about 100' around the pencil then put the remaining loose end in the eraser it makes for a very compact package 4 inches long 1/2 an inch wide

Edited by warrior7r

I cut a pencil to about 4 inches put a slice in the eraser to put the end of the line in and than wrap about 100' around the pencil then put the remaining loose end in the eraser it makes for a very compact package 4 inches long 1/2 an inch wide

then the line will look like a 1970's phone cord when you go to use it, causing way to much slack in the line to properly set the hook. fishing line will take on memory and thats why they pack it the way they do already.

ricksconnected

See your trying to fish with a rod and reel through the lip for sport. A cane pole, branch pole, jug set or trot line do not have that problem. and in a survival, you must gather, stand watch, hunt ect.The cane pole, branch pole, jug set or trot line are more practical I can leave them on their own check them occasionally while I do other things accomplish more yep the fish wont be hooked in the lip but in their gullets I am after food in this situation not sport their already going on the table regardless of size no catch and release so line memory is a moot point we are talking survival fishing the set needs to be as small to carry as possible my way I can carry 1000 feet of line enough hooks and sinkers for 20 sets in a pocket increasing my odds allowing multiple locations and freeing up time to get the chores done simultaneously.

Edited by warrior7r

I'm not an expert angler or anything, but I know that a lot of the braided line I've used doesn't retain memory line the mono-filament stuff I used to use. So having your line looking like a corkscrew (with the slack that entails) may not be an issue depending on the line you use.

Guest kevin

i use the pill bottles. to stop the slipping problem i wrap several turns of electrical tape around the top and bottom of the bottle leaving a gap in the middle. in the gap i wind the fishing line(braided) then tape over it. then you have the tape too.

jug set or trot line do not have that problem.

sure they do unless your using heavy weight. even then coily line is a knot risk when storing it. another disadvantage to coiled line is fish have a strong ability to taste metal in their mouths. if they taste it they will spit the hook quickly. a coiled line gives the fish plenty of time to taste the bait and spit it if its not "natural", before the "self set" happens. i personally wouldnt and wont rely on a coiled line for anything but trouble like knots for example. i know the lil fishing kit stuffed down in a tic-tac box looks "tactical" and sounds cool but not very practical. unfortunatly, ive spend several periods in life where "survival fishing" is what put food on the table. after dad died when i was a little kid and up to when mom died, if we didnt catch fish our table was bare for the evening. mom didnt go, she had brain cancer. i learned a lot in those days about survival fishing

and at a very young age. im glad i did cause its paid off several times since then. tightly coiled line is trouble waiting to happen. just leave the line on the spool it came on and it will serve you well.

Edited by ricksconnected

I'm still a bit confused...why not just leave it on the spool?

Most likely for space saving. I personally like to save space and protect the line from possible abrasion because of the way I pack. May not be necessary for everyone depending on space and packing technique.

Most likely for space saving. I personally like to save space and protect the line from possible abrasion because of the way I pack. May not be necessary for everyone depending on space and packing technique.

and i use preset sizes that way i unspool the line and hook, clip it on a leader line and set the line in the water done