Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

STERIPENS - worth the cost of admission

I have my eye on one priced at $45 on Amazon and before I buy I want to check with the class: worth it or not? I realize it only purifies, not filters, but anyone here have an opinion one way or the other on this item as a survival tool, either short or long term?

BTW, I plan on recharging the batteries with a solar charger if I make the purchase.

I bought one. Kinda regret it now, but depending on the application needed it may be for the best later on. I plan to get a two bucket system like a Berkey and then use the pen on the filtered water. $45 is a good price. I think I paid $59.

Based on the test results I read it appears this is a pretty good method of inactivating both bacteria and viruses. The report is saying that properly used it can achieve a log 6 level of purification. That is equal to the pump filters I use on campouts.

The one advantage I see is that filters generally can handle only about 200 gallons before they need to be replaced. This device, if you can use a solar charge to keep the batteris charged, has the potential of exceeding the filters by a decent margin.

Not having first hand experience with it does not permit me to make a judgement but it looks promising enough that I might have to just get one myself to give it a try. Only way of discovering any drawbacks lacking someone else's analysis.

I bought one. Kinda regret it now, but depending on the application needed it may be for the best later on. I plan to get a two bucket system like a Berkey and then use the pen on the filtered water. $45 is a good price. I think I paid $59.

Mike, what do you regret about buying it? Problems you found? Something it doesn't do?

Inquiring minds want to know? :)

For a portable purifier that works quickly, the Steripen is excellent. UV purification is a well proven method for water purification, and the Steripen functions exactly as advertised. You may want to invest in the 'FitsAll Filter' they sell (about $15) if you use a variety of water bottles, so you can use the Sterpien with anything.

Polar Pure and other similar chemical purifiers work well, but much slower, and the temperature of the water affects the speed at which the chemicals can treat it (cold water takes longer and/or more chemicals).

Steripen is good for small volumes of water, but there are better choices for base camp/home shelter use (like a Berkey).