Sign in to follow this  
bob leeper

the USA , the newest third world nation

I'll start out by saying that this is not a rant or rave , it is just my opinion on what i see happening here in my country. I can say that with a fair certainty as my great grandfather was half sac fox indian and half irish man and im 1/4 something , but i don't look it, but if i posted a picture of my dad , you can see the native in him. me i looked like my mom , fair skinned and brown (gone gray) hair so i passed as a white version of a man and my mom told me to be proud of my heritage but to keep it quiet as i would be discriminated against. she was right. i was discriminated against.

So, America has seen its better days. Part of me is sad to see this country fail economically

and all the fatcats end up richer than heck and us poor working stiffs getting the shaft.

to a native american that means the arrow in the back ...

bail outs were a very bad idea. social welfare for those who had more money than god, fatcat bonuses, jet airplanes and big money and bank rupsy and morals of three dollar crack

prostitutes,

The old saying "Size doesn't matter" doesnt apply to government. it is so bloated and over-regulated that it takes a miracle to get anything done, less all the scandals that congress has to investigate it only proves my point. we spend too much for too little (tax

money) and other wastes and bureaucracy that its like capain bart said in his thread. i cant quote him but hes got the right idea about how the scammers and idiots are using up what there is, leaving nothing for the rest of us. and yes they are breeding like mad. seven billion people strong.

democracy is mob rule, not the rule of law. laws are part of the problem. because we interpret what every word of the written law means, its time for change,( not the spare change Obama tried to give us, but real change), we need to be able to survive and learn how to make do with less and tighten our belts (SARCASM!) Dude, we cant keep doing this

but for so long. my belt is so tight i cant think straight, and ive done without for so long that i wouldnt know what "It " was anymore . tell you what mr prez, you do without for a while for a change and tighten your belt. because from where im sitting, you aint got a whole lot of time left to sit up in that oval office in your plush cushy job. (insert racist remark here ) we the people are sick of it. we are tired and we arent going to take it anymore.

The sad part is that your choices are either (i) Big Gov't Little-bit-O Freedom Entitlement Spending Democrat, or (ii) All Bark no Bite Corporate Lap Dog Republican.

I lean to the second only b/c they take less of my money at the end of each month / year and whatever it is #(i) is promising me just ain't showed up at the house yet (not holding my breath either).

We'll see in 2012....... if this economy gets better you will see the most dividing class warfare election in history. If things limp along and economy sucks then there will be a new guy/gal President and should take 60+% of the vote. We need someone to unify the country, right now we are deeply divided.

Politicians have to be paid to have money to be elected, big companies are the only ones who can really afford to pay them so they must be corrupted it seems.

Some rich billionaire said "American citizens will just have to accept a lower standard of living". Well yeah that sucks but I've been there and done that my whole life. In 3 month are income is getting cut in half basically ($1100 to $600 maybe $650 + foodstamps) so I know I'm boned. But its always been like that for me, now when the middle class gets to this situation, it will suck for them. But the United States citizens kind of deserve it, being rich and greedy is bad, being poor and greedy = fail, but being poor and non greedy aint so bad.

I see a second great depression coming.

I am almost paranoid, I can't do shit about my situation.

[quote name=......I see a second great depression coming.

I am almost paranoid' date=' I can't do shit about my situation.[/quote]

Could happen but not like the one we thing of from 1929. Information is too readily availible to investors and people have the ability to react through electonic transactions. Gov't will be well informed (outcome of informed to be debated) and consumers no longer need to have a "bank run".

Wachovia was a bank run only via electonic funds transfer. Gov't reacted and had them taken over - maybe they should have failed...another story. Politicians have the upper hand through quick action that will only prolonge the situation.

More likely is a very long term economic cycle much like that of Japan anfter their RE collapse, but worse given world wide economic and political turmoil. The real loosers will be the countries that USA can no longer support. That will be the place of severe depression.......

I'll start out by saying that this is not a rant or rave

bob,

actually, it is both rant and rave but that is OK on this thread as long as we keep it civil. Democracy is a miserable form of government that never works! That is why our Founders gave us a Republic. Rule of Law is the only thing that reigns in the liberal/progressive desire to tell me how my life should be run. When the government freely violates its founding principals (the Constitution and Declaration of Independence) as well as its written code of laws with impunity, the Republic is doomed. History will reveal just how quickly a nation can go from world ruler to "who??". Think fall of the Roman Empire.

The US has a very limited window to do something about our decline. It may be too late already but we must at least try. This next election may well be the last "free" election, if it is held at all. Remember, Hitler did not "seize" power in Germany. He was validly put in office, staged a crises (burning of the parliament building), won the next election a few weeks later and that was the last election until the allies set one up after WW2.

As a prepper, if this is your most likely scenario (it is one of my concerns as well) then you prep for what this means. It is not too late to go low profile and stock up on your needs. You have time, probably until the election next year at least. After that, the results of the election will tell us if this is still a likely scenario.

God help us and God Bless the United States.

bob,

Hitler did not "seize" power in Germany. He was validly put in office, staged a crises (burning of the parliament building), won the next election a few weeks later and that was the last election until the allies set one up after WW2.

He also started his takeover with (i) class warfare (ii) nationalization of public services (iii) gun control.

Sound familiar??

He also started his takeover with (i) class warfare (ii) nationalization of public services (iii) gun control.

Sound familiar??

Well said, sir. If I may "hijack" this thread a bit, I'd like to ask the group to consider how you prep for a failed state. Arguably Mexico is a failed state. Argentina certainly is and Greece is not far behind. In each of these states, the 'police power' still exists but is ineffective in the intended role of law enforcement. How do you prep for a condition that is essentially WROL (Without Rule Of Law) but still has all the trappings of functioning government including prisons? Katrina was in New Orleans but it was short term and localized. I would like to hear everyones' thoughts on how to prep for a nationwide 'failed state' event.

I would leave the country. My thought process would be that in a place like Mexico the general thought process among the people is (i) submitt to the powers that be (ii) if you can't beat'em join'em.

I am not going to surrender and do not want to be one of "them".

Either the ultimate rural retreat with a good group of friends or sell everything and go else where.

Well said, sir. If I may "hijack" this thread a bit, I'd like to ask the group to consider how you prep for a failed state. Arguably Mexico is a failed state. Argentina certainly is and Greece is not far behind. In each of these states, the 'police power' still exists but is ineffective in the intended role of law enforcement. How do you prep for a condition that is essentially WROL (Without Rule Of Law) but still has all the trappings of functioning government including prisons? Katrina was in New Orleans but it was short term and localized. I would like to hear everyones' thoughts on how to prep for a nationwide 'failed state' event.

I guess it all depends on how bad it is. It sounds like your referring to sort of a local and state breakdown but still function on the nation level? Maybe some sort of National Guard presence/Martial Law mixed in. The first order of business is to get out of the city. On your way out, pick up any supplies you might need, but hopefully you saw it coming and already have everything. I live in the city, in an older neighborhood which is surrounded by apartments which have been taken over by Section 8 Housing....not good if/when everything goes. Ultimately heading to a state like Montana, the Dakotas, Alaska, Texas, etc., states on the outside border with lots of open land, would be the best idea. Those states tend to lean more right in their thinking, more apt to tell the Fed to pound sand, but then again one never really knows. It would have to get really bad for me to leave this country and possibly never come back. Chances are it would just be me and my parents, we would still have a lot of family and friends left behind.

I would leave the country. My thought process would be that in a place like Mexico the general thought process among the people is (i) submitt to the powers that be (ii) if you can't beat'em join'em.

I am not going to surrender and do not want to be one of "them".

Either the ultimate rural retreat with a good group of friends or sell everything and go else where.

What country? My problem is that I don't learn languages well and the English speakers I know of are worse off than we are. New Zealand, maybe, but not sure.

What exactly do you mean "failed state". Katrina across the country? I hear good things about Canada... The things I heard about Katrina were nothing short of disturbing.

If you look at Argentina, law enforcement is pretty much for sale if you have the money. If not, and you come to the attention of the police, it is a very bad day for you. As long as you give the federal government what they want for taxes, you're left alone, more or less.

Canada has the same government problems we do, maybe worse, but the population density is so low that there are places out west were you could be. Thing about states like Texas and the "redoubt states"

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/move_to_the_mountain_states--t.html

is that the local LEO are probably on your side. That might be a help. I think that severe gun control will need to be enacted before we go failed state status but I could be wrong. The attempts are being made in some areas right now (anyone live in Chicago?).

What country? My problem is that I don't learn languages well and the English speakers I know of are worse off than we are. New Zealand, maybe, but not sure.

Canada?

Maybe the US is big enough that some places will remain ok and traveling to another state will be like a whole different country. Kind of like that already.....

If you look at Argentina, law enforcement is pretty much for sale if you have the money. If not, and you come to the attention of the police, it is a very bad day for you. As long as you give the federal government what they want for taxes, you're left alone, more or less.

Canada has the same government problems we do, maybe worse, but the population density is so low that there are places out west were you could be. Thing about states like Texas and the "redoubt states"

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/move_to_the_mountain_states--t.html

is that the local LEO are probably on your side. That might be a help. I think that severe gun control will need to be enacted before we go failed state status but I could be wrong. The attempts are being made in some areas right now (anyone live in Chicago?).

I've seen "Locked-up Abroad" on National Geographic, and Its mostly just suspense but I always hear people say that the police look away for certain people and others they bust there balls because "technically" there not supposed to be breaking the law, and the officer has the choice of which way too look when it comes too it. Everyone breaks the law, which makes the government powerful. You probably J-walk, Litter, and break the law carelessly all the time and don't realize it. I opened my mothers mail today because I knew it was junk mail, that was a felony charge. Another way the government and corporations have control over you is the "Terms and Conditions". I can't complain and sue a company when I said I read the terms of conditions, which I not only can't understand (I don't speak lawyer) but is 46 pages long with 20,000 words on each page for some. There are many situations where "We" as citizens break the law "Technically" but the police don't care. Now in places like Mexico they can bust your balls for it (especially if they get paid) and arrest you, which sucks.

Also my plan as of right now is if something major happened I would try to get too Canada ASAP. But you can't just "move to Canada". I would try to get too Canada before everyone else realized "Oh damn, we can just go to Canada" because then they won't let anyone in.

Canada seems like a nice place except for the fact that Justin Beiber came from there.

About the video... Creepy... I now want to read the Naked Communist, and see what it says. You raise and interesting problem. How do you maintain the rule of law, when the main enforcers of those laws are either corrupt, or incapable of doing the job to which they are meant to do. And what do you do as the common citizen when this situation presents itself, knowing that protecting yourself and your family could land you in a prison with no trial of any kind, because the people who are supposed to protect you are being paid by those they are supposed to protect you from? The only thing that comes to my mind right away, and it really sucks, is a two option game plan. 1. Run, get out of dodge, and never look back. or 2. Fight. Submission is a no win proposition, as you will live the life of a slave, and for me, that is not happening. Becoming one of "them" is a no win as well, as I have a sense of duty to my fellow man, and a desire to see justice prevail. Out of the two options, run or fight, only one appeals to my nature. I think I would stay, and try and help fix the problem. Besides, I hate moving.

Third World country? I seem more and more signs of it here in Houston. Funny how I read about how terrible the healthcare system is elsewhere in the world, but I had a conversation a few months ago that shocked me. I was giving a Canadian doctor (long story) a lift to the airport and he told me the problems they were having at his hospital with patients showing up with fake documents. Americans pretending to be Canadians for the healthcare! Too funny.

Third World country? I seem more and more signs of it here in Houston. Funny how I read about how terrible the healthcare system is elsewhere in the world, but I had a conversation a few months ago that shocked me. I was giving a Canadian doctor (long story) a lift to the airport and he told me the problems they were having at his hospital with patients showing up with fake documents. Americans pretending to be Canadians for the healthcare! Too funny.

I find it interesting the number of Canadians (and others) here in Houston's Texas Medical Center for treatment they can't get it Canada. Talk about a basic crap shoot. We have it but so many can't afford it and they just don't have it in Canada and Europe.

There is an interesting book, published in 1907 about the history of outlaws in America. Mostly about the western outlaw (he saves most of the derision for the "city" outlaws but that is in the last chapter). Of note is the role of outlaws in establishing law and order. Specifically, the vigilance committees in places like San Fransisco. In the late 1800s they even tried, convicted and locked up a California Supreme Court judge for crimes committed on the bench! When the rule of law is not observed, the social compact between government and citizen breaks down and the citizen is morally required to take action. He is an outlaw at that point but he is also the communities only hope. The trick is knowing when such drastic action is required. My own bias is that as long as there is hope that the ballot box may reverse things, the compact is unbroken. If the government tries to cause irreparable harm (gun confiscation, for example) then the compact is no longer binding. God help us all if we get there.

I see a lot of the same things you do, Capt Bart. We have the best medical treatments in the world, if you can afford it. I almost put "medical care", but we really don't have the care part in the equation anymore. Hospitals don't care for patients, they service them.

To get back to the Third World aspect of the thread, I think we can agree that the continual loss of American jobs overseas has to stop and be reversed if we have any hope of rebuilding our middle class in this country. Unfortunately, both sides in the political process are too busy with their own twisted agendas to mind the store. Anyway, I am brushing up on my Spanish so I can get a job as a Walmart greeter when I eventually lose my current job.

I'm going to say something really childish and stupid..........since money doesn't really exchange hands anymore, its just paper and computer shuffling, F it all and start over! wipe the slate clean for everybody, no debt!.........................do I want to know your replies?

I'm going to say something really childish and stupid..........since money doesn't really exchange hands anymore, its just paper and computer shuffling, F it all and start over! wipe the slate clean for everybody, no debt!.........................do I want to know your replies?

Not going to work. But sounds good in theory.

Without contract law you have no functioning society. Even in the good ole' days a hand shake was a contract and services delivered or a form of payment made.

Your home, car, guns, supplies, ect... are all worth more in today's messed up system then a scenerio where you wipe out debt, devalue you currency against all others. You want to pay 1,000 dollars a gallon of gas?

Look up Zimbabwee (sp?). The "people" overthrew the government and took the land from the "rich" (mostly British) and "redistributed the land. Problem was the land had notes owed to the Banks (not as rich as percieved) and the Banks failed. They really had $1 million dollar bills and people paid for things with bags of worthless money.

I see a lot of the same things you do, Capt Bart. We have the best medical treatments in the world, if you can afford it. I almost put "medical care", but we really don't have the care part in the equation anymore. Hospitals don't care for patients, they service them. ......

Medical care is touchy subject b/c it really hits home. A few thoughts:

1. You cant drive a BMW for the price of a Honda.

2. Even the bad healthcare here is light years ahead of the rest of world.

3. Insurance is really a good deal especialy if you job pays a portion.

The real problem is the government allows people to over charge and cheat the system. Dont know how folks think the price is going down just b/c a national plan is going into place.

Healthcare will be like Social Security. Very cheap tax first few years and sounded like a great idea. Now it is a big tax and crappy deal.......

Yeah, debating healthcare reform can result in some definite differences of opinion, but one thing I think we can all agree on is the insurance companies have us over a barrel when it comes to healthcare. Here in Texas, we instituted some pretty draconian "save our doctor" legislation that placed caps on non-economic damages in order to head off a perceived litigation crisis.

As a result, if you are retired and your doctor kills you through their negligence, good luck to the family in finding an ambulance chaser to take the case. My point, though, is that after the legislation became effective, the medical malpractice insurance rates in Texas did not go down, but instead went up 10% the next year. Anyway, sorry to stray from the thread.

Yeah, debating healthcare reform can result in some definite differences of opinion, but one thing I think we can all agree on is the insurance companies have us over a barrel when it comes to healthcare. Here in Texas, we instituted some pretty draconian "save our doctor" legislation that placed caps on non-economic damages in order to head off a perceived litigation crisis.

As a result, if you are retired and your doctor kills you through their negligence, good luck to the family in finding an ambulance chaser to take the case. My point, though, is that after the legislation became effective, the medical malpractice insurance rates in Texas did not go down, but instead went up 10% the next year. Anyway, sorry to stray from the thread.

Good points. We need national level tort reform or people in states like Texas are just footing the bill for states like AL and Miss who have zero tort restrictions.