Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

5 gallon bucket fish traps

Guest kevin

we trot line quite a bit. the best bait i have found for this is smallish brim, perch, ect.

i'm not good with a throw net so i came up with a bait fish trap that is simple and effective. drill 10 to 15 3/4 inch holes into a 5 gallon bucket with a removable lid. then cut a 3 inch diameter hole into the bottom.

now form a funnel from hardware cloth. the large end of the funnel should be 4 inches in diameter. the small end 2 inches. cut the large end 1 inch deep in 4 even sections, fold down those to form "ears". insert small end of the funnel into the 3 inch hole at the bottom of your bucket till the "ears" stop you. screw or pop rivet the ears to the bucket.

place bait in the bucket( dry dog food works great) put the top on. tie a 10 ft length of paracord to the wire handle. sink it till it is just below the surface , tie off your paracord to the bank. done.

iv'e had up to 32 3 inch bait fish at a time in this trap, and more than one cotton mouth too, so open the lid with caution.

This definitly sounds like a very good idea but being such a big bucket it would probably be good for a bug in location or somewhere where you will be caming at. I wonder if a mesh laundry bag would work, they are pretty strong and collaspe down into a pretty small package.

I'm wondering why the bucket can't be fashioned to catch bigger fish in the first place and just skip the middleman (bait fish). I've caught a few fish in my day but I'm certainly no expert. I don't do well tying fishing knots. lol

Guest kevin

guess if i enjoyed rod fishing id feel the same. i'm a trapper at heart....gives me more time...unless the crappie are biting. that is too fun to pass up.

We've made similiar traps from chicken wire with "funnels" put in each end. I have seen many collapsible fish traps that could be homemade with hoops and mesh netting and using cable ties to hold it together. This would allow it to be packed into a smaller package for transport.

2 liter bottles work on same principle for minnow traps.

There are also traps for crabs, lobster and crawdads (crayfish, mudbugs, etc). Several companies make them, Memphis Net Company, Frabils, etc. I look and see what they have then figure out how to make itself.

Great thread Kevin.

Edited by Regulator5