Sign in to follow this  
Lam1317

Im staying no matter what but still need help

Capt ok i have collected most items i need for what im prepping for but my backpack is not working out.I need to find a cheap backpack with a lot of pockets and hiding places for my stuff.I still want to use a backpack as get home bag. I have been looking but cant make up my mind.Here are the things I now carry in my GHB.

1.Ruger lcp with one clip.

2.Two 1 Liters of water.

3.Switchblade knife.

3.First aid kit I put togather .

5.Small pair of binoculars I got for free at the daytona 500.

6.Energizer wind up light.

7.Enerigzer head lamp.

8.Pen with a cool led light at the other end.

9.Florida Air Academy cadet handbook. dated 1970

10.Four power bars and two protein bars.

any recommendations on stuff and new backpack?

Lam,

In addition to the water I would have a small water filter. There is a small straw style filter made by "Frontier" that is good for about 20 gallons and costs under $20,(for your BOB you would need a better filter of course). Also, I don't think a switchblade is a good choice in knife. You should have a decent folder or maybe even a straight knife in your GHB. I would also get a way,(or two) to make fire. As far as bags go I use a plain black Jansport for my GHB. Anything that looks too military might draw unwanted attention. You want to blend in.

I've been in serious earthquakes, IN hellish brush fires, been close to a tornado, but I never ever want to deal with a hurricane of any size. I was "invited" to the April 1992 Los Angels riots-up close. I'll pass on hurricanes thank you.

A matter of taste I guess. I'll take almost ANYTHING over an earthquake. Those things SCARE me. I have been in a couple. Having my bed "walk" across the room on its own at 0-dark-thirty is not a desirable way to awaken from a sound sleep. I guess for me it is a matter of control (real or just an illusion). I can dodge tornadoes, prep for hurricanes, run from fires but an earthquake? All I can do is hang on and pray. Just my own personal phobia.

Lam,

In addition to the water I would have a small water filter. There is a small straw style filter made by "Frontier" that is good for about 20 gallons and costs under $20,(for your BOB you would need a better filter of course). Also, I don't think a switchblade is a good choice in knife. You should have a decent folder or maybe even a straight knife in your GHB. I would also get a way,(or two) to make fire. As far as bags go I use a plain black Jansport for my GHB. Anything that looks too military might draw unwanted attention. You want to blend in.

Lam,

I second the filter. I'd also look at a minimum of one box of 50 rounds (in the box is OK) to reload the LCR. I'd also add a couple of fire starters. A box of waterproof matches/fire stick/Zippo & spare fuel/flint and steel. Something to start a fire with and a backup for when the first method doesn't work or is lost.

Find a backpack that works for you. The BSA has some good stuff as does Mil surplus. I hesitate to recommend a backpack because they are very individual. The army surplus has enough justifiability to fit most folks but even so, you need to make sure it works for you. Also look to see if you can put things in places you need them. You don't want to have to unpack everything to get to the binoculars or water purifier. Some folks use a vest instead of a pack and others use the web belt systems that the army uses. I have some web gear for holster, canteen, binoculars, and spare magazines. My pack has spare shoes, dry clothes, more water, first aid kit space blanket. My signal flare launcher is in the pack for security as is a week of my meds; they can be moved outside if needed. Some things can be in your EDC of course (my fire starters are EDC as are my knifes and weapons. Yours may be in the BOB, on you EDC or both. (I have a fixed blade survival knife that will go on the belt if TSHTF for example).

I hope this helps.

lam if you are looking for a replacement to the Lcp and trigger pull is an issue, go to a single/double action there are many to choose from ( be about a 7 page debate or so here) but I personally like the CZ82 great solid gun all metal 9mm mak is a little hotter load than your .380 but just a little in the heavier frame it seems smaller, and the single action pull is much lighter and smoother and 13 rounds, the LCP is a great carry conceal ( although I prefer my PF9) but if carry conceal is not your main concern than a larger frame higher capacity is preferable. Gunsamerica has several Czs for sale in the $225-285 range this are used weapons but most are in good shape you will need a FFL any purchases so find an good one and they will help you

Lam,

I second the filter. I'd also look at a minimum of one box of 50 rounds (in the box is OK) to reload the LCR. I'd also add a couple of fire starters. A box of waterproof matches/fire stick/Zippo & spare fuel/flint and steel. Something to start a fire with and a backup for when the first method doesn't work or is lost.

Find a backpack that works for you. The BSA has some good stuff as does Mil surplus. I hesitate to recommend a backpack because they are very individual. The army surplus has enough justifiability to fit most folks but even so, you need to make sure it works for you. Also look to see if you can put things in places you need them. You don't want to have to unpack everything to get to the binoculars or water purifier. Some folks use a vest instead of a pack and others use the web belt systems that the army uses. I have some web gear for holster, canteen, binoculars, and spare magazines. My pack has spare shoes, dry clothes, more water, first aid kit space blanket. My signal flare launcher is in the pack for security as is a week of my meds; they can be moved outside if needed. Some things can be in your EDC of course (my fire starters are EDC as are my knifes and weapons. Yours may be in the BOB, on you EDC or both. (I have a fixed blade survival knife that will go on the belt if TSHTF for example).

I hope this helps.

Yes as usual.Im better packing a three day bag.Once a year i travel with friends to the Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Festival.I camp there and have all my equipment.But this time i want to see if i can survive w/o leaving everynight for dinner.I will bring enough food and water to keep me going.This will be a good test for me and my preparedness.Plus the entire trip is about a week with travel time.I could practice this being my Bug Out Trip.Having enough supplies for a week less gas of course.Its in August so i have enough time to plan.Plus i travel to NC to get friends they have many army surplus stores there more so than in Fla.

Today at Walmart looked at coleman water tablets and aquamir tablets.The coleman has a two part set up.First one tab in a quart of water wait four hours then put the second tablet in to remove taste.Aquamir one tablet wait thirty minutes shelf life about two years.Some choice i didnt buy either.oh well.

Capt i believe i have everything since i last posted.I got the bag situation down to three choices.1. medium molle transport bag.2. blackhawk 3 day assult bag.# level 3 molle assult bag.I have spent too much time reading what other people have.Oh well thats why i joined.To get educated from people that have been prepping for years.I was wondering how do i find people in my area that are preppers i can maybe split purchases on stuff or maybe just talk.

Edited by Lam1317

Ok back from out of state.Just bought a medium alice pack with sleep attachment and canteen.After careful review i liked it the best.I guess i have to start posting in a different section now right.I dont know if this last me 3 days camping.

lam don't get caught up on bags, the right bag is always the "right now" bag, that being said the Alice is a great choice little big for me in a primary BOB, but that's the thing, we are all different in our needs, expectations, tastes, goals,abilities. If it does the job you want done, than its the best BOB for you, and if not its a great bag to have around.

I agree with you on the P-11, the recoil is a bear. I used it as a downpayment for another pistol. I have a Kel Tec PF-9 and for some reason it seems less harsh in the recoil area, although right now it's about to go back to them because the striker isn't striking. Since I too am in Florida, most of the time now I carry a Kahr CW-45. As far as long guns, I have a ruger 10-22 that I love, still with factory furniture, and an Armalite M-15 flat top with a red/green dot sight. I have a good amount of mags, except for the 10-22 but now that ruger is making a larger magazine, I'll be picking up a few.