Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

Farming, Plants, Livestock, and Pets

Why you should grow a farm/garden:

1. Why not?

2. Organic, freshly picked fruit is so very much healthier for you then anything in a grocery store.

3. Its profitable/you will save money

4. You can stockpile food at a cheaper price

5. Do it now and if TEOTWAWKI happens you'll be prepared

6. If something bad does happen with the world, you'll have one less thing to worry about (I mean who doesn't need food?)

--------

Here is a link to how plants can help you get your Daily Value of nutrients/vitamins/minerals from plants:

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vitamins-nutrition-chart.html

--------

I find this site very useful as it shows you what you will need to grow to stay happy and healthy.

Here is a list of some other plants and uses you might need from them:

~~Dandelions - Edible

~~Burdock plants - Predator deterrent/Home Defense, velcro maybe?

~~Cactuses/Crabgrass/Other spikey plants - Predator deterrent/Home Defense

~~Large Bushes/Trees - Hide your stuff/house, make yourself less noticeable.

~~Food Trees - Food + Everything for Large Bushes/Trees

~~Milk Thistle Plants - Edible, Poison mushroom antidote (well it helps), medicinal purposes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle

~~Ginseng - Doesn't take up much space, Medicinal Purposes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginseng

~~Corn - Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Fuel?, Beer production

~~Grapes - Whine

~~Garlic - Medicinal Purposes, Spice, Keeps vampires away? :D

~~Very hot peppers - Pepper spray/deterrent possibly, makes crappy food taste good

~~Pine trees - Sap/Syrup, wood, Or as said in another thread, fire starter,

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

I know there can be more too the list but that's a quick summary, feel free to add.

Deciduous trees can be put in front of windows, so when its winter sunlight can come in and warm up the house, when its summer, they block the sun too keep it cool.

Fruit trees are a good investment because you don't need to constantly watch them/water them (although it helps) and they provide fruit every year, same with nut trees.

By the way I cannot stress how much fruits/vegetables are important for survival of the world. Monasto and the Genetically Modified plants of the world are not the answer. If its a step up from SHTF, those plants are dead and all food in grocery marts are dead too, and if there not we would need to kill them anyways because they can contaminate the world. Organic plants are so much better for these and more reasons:

-Organic plants don't deplete key minerals from the soil when grown right, which allows for a better next years harvest. Big corporation farmers just add 3-5 main minerals too the soil when the plant really needs 50-100 at least.

-They are better for you, simple right, not a big deal maybe? Well in truth they provide an extremely higher amount of nutrients and minerals, have many things in them that scientists are still discovering (most of which that the same plants in the grocery store DON'T have).

-They promote a healthy environment and ecosystem.

-They taste better :D

-You don't have too buy pesticides (although certain insects are natural pesticides if you need em [ladybugs])

-Many more reasons too

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BUYING CROPS and TREES are a GOOD IDEA.

Simple math:

Plants cheap [$20 trees] ($10 bushes) + time investment = Constant steady supply of fruit for generations.

Its good for the world and better then buying gold. 1 oz gold = 100 Apple trees.

BUY HEIRLOOM. Not GMO.

Example site:

http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Granny+Smith+Apple+Tree?category=245

or eBay.

Okay, now onto livestock

~~Livestock~~

Recent sciences (this may be a big shock) show that eating meat really isn't natural but is only okay to do every once in a while, livestock are still very important to have if things go bad.

Chickens: Cheap, can fit them in small areas, you get eggs, + feathers, + meat. Minimal food consumption and the easiest of all homegrown food in my opinion.

Cows: Slightly larger, costly, but if done right and you have proper protection, profitable. People will buy cow meat for sure and they produce milk, they provide a big harvest, they eat grass and produce fertilizer. Although require quite a bit of work for upkeep.

Pigs: Eat almost anything, produce a big harvest, easier to maintain then a cow but more then a chicken. Must cook thoroughly as they may have worms.

Fish: While naturally grown fish are usually healthier, growing fish in an artificial environment can be quite beneficial. Take a look at this link, from National Geographic, the man produces a food system which is quite amazing, it also provides some great ideas into general prepping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUM0TOkNALg

Pets:

Horses: While I don't recommend eating them, they are an alternative vehicle and can travel over different terrain, they also can be a back-up food source and bartering tools. They require an open range to roam and are quite the upkeep.

Dogs: Getting the right one can be very beneficial, home defense, personal protection, can be used for hunting, plus something to love. A must for the solitary survivor, refer to the SurvivalCache sites article for more information, just my personal choice, a German Shephard:

http://survivalcache.com/survival-debate-dog/

Cats: Basically all cats do is provide as a household lovable pet, not recommended but then again there is always the question "Why not?" and if your pretty stable then sure.

Hamsters/Frogs/Snakes and others: Basically the same as a cat, you probably don't need them, but there fun too have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading, I strongly encourage you grow a farm and own some form of animal, please leave feedback and feel free to add to the lists as I am brainstorming what more too add right now.

What will you grow? I will probably grow (when I get the land) many varieties of food, definitely trees, and probably somewhere all forms of the miscellaneous list.

What will I own? Chickens and possibly pigs, some sort of system that the link features where it recycles almost everything to increase food production. I wouldn't mind a home made pond :D. Definitely a dog, probably a scary Saint Bernard, Pitbull, and for sure a German Shepard or two.

I will definitely try to cross breed them in a way to produce an efficient dog breed. Some Russian guy bred dogs down 7 generations and made a dog with the strongest scent receptors in the world, and uses them at airport security (he gets paid BIG for it). Definitely a good idea too me.

What will you do?

Edited by TheDefaultHuman
Info

TDH,

Decent list. One thing I would contest is chickens. Chicken are NOISY. They yell FOOD! FOOD! STUFF YOU DON'T HAVE! FOOD! Until (if) things settle after the SHTF, you want to be as invisible as possible. Many preppers recommend rabbits instead of chickens. Sure, their eggs look and taste funny, but...

Had chickens and let them free graze. They'd come back in evening to roost. VERY little trouble, but plenty of protein-rich eggs. You will, of course, lose some to predators, but not as much as you might think. (I'm talking 4-legged predators).

I tried growing a garden this summer.. Failed miserably

10 Green bean plants = 0 beans

10 Turnip plants = bugs ate all the leaves, but never saw any bugs...

5 Zuchini plants = 0 Zuchini's

12 Yellow squash plants = 0 squash

10 Lady Finger Pea plants = 1 came up, no peas

6 Tomato plants = 1 tiny tomato

1 Habernero plant = 1 tiny pepper

All plants were healthy and normal lookinf, but never bore any fruit... beats the hell outta me. Got some learning to do before I depend on it for food... haha :-(

I tried growing a garden this summer.. Failed miserably

10 Green bean plants = 0 beans

10 Turnip plants = bugs ate all the leaves, but never saw any bugs...

5 Zuchini plants = 0 Zuchini's

12 Yellow squash plants = 0 squash

10 Lady Finger Pea plants = 1 came up, no peas

6 Tomato plants = 1 tiny tomato

1 Habernero plant = 1 tiny pepper

All plants were healthy and normal lookinf, but never bore any fruit... beats the hell outta me. Got some learning to do before I depend on it for food... haha :-(

Get plants from eBay or something, get non GMO non Hybrid but organically homegrown plants I planted 200 tobacco seeds, got countless plants, atleast 150. Planted 1 Ghost Chilly and 1 Ginseng seed got plants from both. Don't mean to advertise here but this guys plants always grow for me.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ilg49&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

Also by the way Bama, I read it in a military book and seen it online. Your body uses certain minerals to digest the rabbit meat and if you run out you basically die because it all gets used up. Now if you eat vegetables and other stuff youll be perfectly fine but straight up rabbit meat can kill you if you ONLY eat it for a while.

Get plants from eBay or something, get non GMO non Hybrid but organically homegrown plants I planted 200 tobacco seeds, got countless plants, atleast 150. Planted 1 Ghost Chilly and 1 Ginseng seed got plants from both. Don't mean to advertise here but this guys plants always grow for me.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ilg49&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

I did use non hybrid seeds for most of it. The plants grew great (except the peas), but put out no fruit.

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/dairy_cow_breeds.html

Here is a link that gives the milk production of the various dairy cattle breeds. As an example, Jerseys do not produce as much milk as Holsteins but have a higher butterfat content. This will be beneficial for making butter. For homesteading/preppers, getting 30 gallons of milk a day may not be as important as being able to produce more butter. Also, if a dairy farm has a "low producer", they will normally sell these cheaper, as they need volume for their business. Also, actual size of the animal can be important according to the amount of ground you have.

Ready, you may need to find ways to help with pollination. Look into adding bee hives or planting certain flowers to draw bees in for the pollination. Open pollinated crops rely on bees/insects or wind for pollination and this could have been a source for your bad luck.

Vegetarian - Eskimo word for "poor hunter" Alaska bumper sticker =)

I'll go ahead an refute this idea. Funny joke, but really not very survival minded.

I've been contemplating some pretty radical changes to my diet pre-event to drop most if not all animal products and it really rocked my notion of self sustained living. I've been a life long hobby farmer raising my own beef, chickens, goats (meat and dairy) ducks and rabbits. With my recent relocation from upstate NY to WI I'm "between" farms waiting for the NY one to sell while I rent in WI and scour for a homestead(ish) place to buy out here. Electricity and refrigeration have always been on my list of top things to secure quickly but it almost completely revolves around the need to process and preserve animal products. Billions of people have lived out their lives on largely plant based or completely plant based diets. Cutting animals out of my plans (I haven't yet, life time of farming you know) *would* also pretty much eliminate concerns of refrigeration and greatly reduce electricity burden on a homestead. Also as stated above animals are noisy and animals draw attention from other animals and from starving people beating the woods and fields looking for anything.

Like I said in beginning it's radical thinking to me even (I'm trying to convince myself here too), but the more I live it out and they more I adjust my plans I'm convinced a solid knowledge and ability to cultivate heirloom seeds and knowledge of soils etc... will be for more important to me than my youthful fascination with ballistic tables and magazine capacities.

I went to the store and bought a small piece of ginger put it in a pot and now I got to transplant it got big

in about 5 months it has outgrown a 5 gallon container....

my wife took some key lime seeds fresh out of the

limes and they are growing like weeds.

citrus is great for coating anything your going to dehydrate or air dry it helps prevent mold and fungus you

can dry it into crystals it has another good quality lots of thorns on lime and lemons but I do not know about the lemons I hear it takes a long time to produce we will see.

I am going to get some plum trees from my bud this end of December I hope they grow my peach trees are doing great but the squirrels love them too so it's squirrel season..

my other plan is more grape vines they grow well just have to use Epsom salt about a cup sprinkled around

each plant in a 3 foot diameter area in the spring they love it.

got fig trees they produce but you got to be fast 1 day too late and the birds and squirrels get them and I

have tried plastic snakes tin / foil plates an owl even the dogs can not keep up with them thieving little

devils next is netting any other ideas let me know.

For all of you on a budget find or call all the pool service companies these companies have 1 to 6 gallon

screw top buckets many companies will give or sell them to you for a great price considering cost of crappy

snap lid buckets from paint companies or home wreckers depot.... I found 2 places that give them to me free.

All the powdered bleach and tablets I keep in 1 bucket as long as it is

powder or dry its good but keep it dry if it gets wet not good go boom.

the buckets with good lids clean and get some Mylar bags beprepared.com freeze all grains and flours for 7 to 10 days to kill bugs and larvae because i do not know the temp of your freezer go 10 days bring into your home and cover with a towel and allow it to return to room temp about 2 days place in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers you can make your own tell you at the endof this rant...

any buckets that have no lids clean and use for a bucket garden as regular ground gardens use a lot of water a drip watering system reduces water

use and is easy to make yourself.

How to make oxygen absorbers:

OK cheapest coffee filters use 4ought steel wool and wire twist ties and

regular non iodized salt.

each piece of steel wool looks like a cheese danish you get many in a package cut into 4 to 6 even pieces each.

dampen and pat dry with a paper towel put in center of coffee filter add a 1/2 teaspoon salt and close and using a twist tie it does not have to be a

tight ball your just trying to keep the salt and damp steel wool

from leaking out the steel wool rusts this takes oxygen there fore oxygen

is greatly reduced in the bucket or Mylar bag.

increases longevity of the oats cream of wheat flours

caution rye flour I would avoid it can have a mold that is deadly if it gets damp or even bread that's made gets moldy

but the rest I feel confident will be fine cornmeal rice wheat whatever grain is good till opened and if its to your to fill a small container make another

O2 absorbers and seal the Mylar bag and seal the bucket.

the bucket is to protect the Mylar bag and acts as insurance the buckets

could probably used alone if your on a tight budget they have a pretty

good lip seal.

Salt non iodized salt can be bought cheap its called water softener

salt check but it is almost pure but has a few percent trace minerals

get the granulated sold at wal mart in 40 pound bags 1 bag will fit in a 5 gallon bucket I would have 80 pounds, and it a NINJA weapon just kidding but a hand full in the face should keep them busy and I never heard of any one

getting arrested for a pocket full of salt.

sugar or salt does not need any freezing or prep just make sure its dry.

salt is not a natural element in some areas it must be shipped in and to dry salt fish meat and smoke meat make corned beef etc..it is key to have salt it used to be used as money in ancient times maybe again.

also some Morton tender quick for preserving meat it is mixed in proper proportions with additives that preserve flavor and color.

another vital thing is vinegar it is not easy to make and is needed for

pickling to extend prepared meat fish and raw vegetables food so 5 gallons

is not out of order.

sorry went off topic but like a chain one links to another and so on.........

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I'll go ahead an refute this idea. Funny joke, but really not very survival minded.

I've been contemplating some pretty radical changes to my diet pre-event to drop most if not all animal products and it really rocked my notion of self sustained living. I've been a life long hobby farmer raising my own beef, chickens, goats (meat and dairy) ducks and rabbits. With my recent relocation from upstate NY to WI I'm "between" farms waiting for the NY one to sell while I rent in WI and scour for a homestead(ish) place to buy out here. Electricity and refrigeration have always been on my list of top things to secure quickly but it almost completely revolves around the need to process and preserve animal products. Billions of people have lived out their lives on largely plant based or completely plant based diets. Cutting animals out of my plans (I haven't yet, life time of farming you know) *would* also pretty much eliminate concerns of refrigeration and greatly reduce electricity burden on a homestead. Also as stated above animals are noisy and animals draw attention from other animals and from starving people beating the woods and fields looking for anything.

Like I said in beginning it's radical thinking to me even (I'm trying to convince myself here too), but the more I live it out and they more I adjust my plans I'm convinced a solid knowledge and ability to cultivate heirloom seeds and knowledge of soils etc... will be for more important to me than my youthful fascination with ballistic tables and magazine capacities.

hey buckwild

not bucking your Idea at all but a person I know is a veg head well after a doctors visit he was very

depressed his cholesterol was bad triglycerides were off and he was deficient in certain vitamins

he stated he ate what he considered a good variety of fruits and vegetables and nuts, i do not know but

its food for thought.

pun kind of intended.. check and verify I have no knowledge of the vegan lifestyle..

Vegetarian - Eskimo word for "poor hunter" Alaska bumper sticker =)

Yeah, and in the same language "Vegan - can't fish either". OK, having said that, I penned an article for SC on Vegan survival.

http://survivalcache.com/survival-for-omnivores-vegetarians-vegans/

It was surprising to me just how viable a life style a vegetarian existence can be, especially if you allow for some animal products (milk, cheese, sometimes fish) into the mix. The Vegan has a much tougher job but it can still be done. There are some interesting points that we all could take from that lifestyle. If you know little about it, read the post in the above link. It might give you some ideas for your own preps.

One note of caution. If you are a vegetarian, do not expect to shift to an omnivore diet post TSHTF. In fact, it is best to prep so you don't have to shift your diet at all after TSHTF. If that means changes, make them now. Usually the gastric upset of shifting from one to another can make survival problematic if done suddenly. That goes for eating whole grains as well. Too much, too quickly and it can get 'interesting' around the toilet.

definitely Buck_Wild

plant based diet will be very important right now while its easy

getting books on American wild plants for your area or BO area learning what local wisdom and facts you can.

in Texas there is Merriweathers guide to edible Texas plants great sight wish he did a downloadable pdf

and I am certain that such people exist in all other states with the same interest.

I also enjoy trapping and fishing sites alternate theory for power solar refrigeration heating cooling building

even if .

I know it or have done it well some have a newer or improved slant and some are just cool.

but I digress plants have always interested for numerous reasons in survival situations they would be very

useful for defense and medicine as well as food.

ok so start here with this site..

http://www.hoophouse.msu.edu/assets/custom/files/Hoophouse%20Farming%20Startup.pdf

This gives you tons of information ....and you choose what and how much you want to spend,money and time wise.

you dont need to start a company and do this full time,but to consider that you can have fresh Vegtables in december,I wil be doing this myself,I have 4 inches of horse shit on the 2 plots I have now.one is 25ft x 50foot the other is new and I burned it off with a ton of pallets first,is 25ft x 25 ft. I have traded for some 10mil plastic and will gather up the poles i need this winter,eather wood or 1/2 in pvc pipe.

I also use a drip pipe(16th plastic) out of a milk jug for all my tommatoes so they get the water on them.

hope this helps..Matt

Has anyone raised this plant????

Amaranth is one of the most nutritious, easy-to-grow and well-adapted plants on this earth. This plant can provide you with year round sustenance. In the early summer the young greens are a wonderful addition to salads with a flavor similar to spinach. As the leaves get bigger, they are delicious steamed, sautéed or added to soups. In the fall when the seed heads have matured they will yield many ounces of protein packed seeds with a slight nutty taste.

Most whole grains are about 10 percent protein, Amaranth seeds are about 16 percent protein and has a balanced amino acid profile high in lysine which is rare for plant foods and essential to humans for protein synthesis. The grain also contains generous amounts of iron, calcium, fiber and phosphorous. The leaves are high in protein as well as calcium, iron, beta carotene and fiber.

This plant requires very little water and can grow in almost any type of soil

It may be on my shopping list.. I took this information from a great site that I also use..

Pioneer Living Survival

http://www.pioneerliving.net/

please let me know if anyone has..eather here or send me a private note thanks ..Matt :]

in order to smoke meat you have to prep it by injecting along the bone and joint

with a brine and back before tech they lost a lot of meat because they did not have

a way to inject that's where the word TAINT came from IT AIN"T edible.

it is still done today use a wire clean and stick it along the bone and pull it and smell for rot.

you need to have a syringe for coking a couple of them and hundreds of pounds of salt

the old saying you can float an egg when water will not dissolve any more salt

it is heavy brine and a fresh egg dropped into it floats rotten eggs float too that is how

you check "found" eggs some hens will not want to lay in the house and find a hide to lay.

anyway back to salt I bet Capt Bart is chewing on his key board and I can't blame him,

looking at this it is hard to follow SORRY Capt Bart.

and salt pack to remove excess water this takes days and it needs to be done below 40 degrees

unfortunately it take about three days of cold smoke pretty constant if you can you do not want the smoke to die out and the smell is heaven so unless you want

the golden hordes on your door your only real choice is packed in salt

salt meat has been staple for all of history or dried over a very small fire {dehydrated}

jerked or jerky and reconstituted with water in a stew this is why they only needed 1 pot.

stew

or boiled meat the only good meat was a fresh kill and you gorged yourself because you knew

that until you ran low you did not get fresh cooked meat and that is why most peoples were

in tribes or groups it is a screwed up dynamic if your the great hunter and are injured or have

no luck everyone hates you if you kill a bison then everyone has to hustle and dry the meat

they are happy but they are going to work their arse off cutting it into strips.

and the next day someone has to tend the dried meat against other tribes and animals.

I hear words tossed around in these threads and those who use them have no idea what it takes

in man hours to accomplish them like the word Pemmican sond nice and easy WELL IT AIN'T.

hours of finding seeds and berries that have thorns and do not mature on the same day

so you may in early season scour acres looking for berries

roots well they suck it is like white rice a filler to keep your F%^*() backbone from rubbing a hole

in your navel and most taste like nothing or yuck

we have prickly pear cactus here, raw it is like eating wax covered in snot.

cooked it tastes a bit like a green more like grass and snot

It is fill of thorns/ spines that are so fine and small you cannot even see them so you have to

skin or cut the spine bunches like bumps off it takes time too much time for SNOT

I am part Indian {not the ones with the dot on the forehead you moron}

and I do not give a crap about my heritage those fools can dance around my arse there knowledge

is nothing mystical anyone's forefathers did pretty much the same in fact the Scottish and Irish dutch and more

did virtually the same things to store food but they knew of salting brine and pickling to preserve

foods everyone gets so enamored with Indian culture because it was the more recent cultures that

were so primitive that we were in direct contact with and it is interesting but in Mexico they are

still doing these things they cannot afford guns they trap and they are not squeamish whatever

it takes to get a meal gill nets hook lines you name it.

We can learn from any culture but most of what they eat we would not piss on

In most cases meat need to be cut across the grain like steak you have seen it in strips well that is niceiif you have perfect teeth and no small children

and packed in salt no 2 pieces touching

bones removed and about an inch of salt between the layers in a wood box.

after about 5 to 7 days it needs to be overhauled because the salt has drawn off the water and blood

and it will make the salt wet but the meat is repacked same as before and now it is ready to be stored.

unless nitrate is used the meat will look grey and nitrate is dangerous

to much and it will hurt or kill you look on the net and you will find

arbitrary recipes because of the strength of the nitrate or nitrite is

different so get some Morton salt "quick cure" now so you will have it.

It's premixed and does over a hundred pounds of meat get 5 bags

also pickling spice about a gallon vinegar at least 5 gallons of each

cider and regular as it will be hard to find and its hard as hell to make

when it is to be used it needs to be washed and soaked and rinsed again then it can be chunk cut and

used in stews do not add salt to dishes used with this meat it will be too salty

fish and other meat can be done the same

shellfish and crabs and some others must be eaten cooked fresh and even then remember the months with the "R" dose not mean squat it's a good guide line but that's all.

all of us are too young to know so we have to count on history to tell us but it has taken the known

history a minimum of 50,000 years to get to now where food is abundant and not seasonal

and in a few generations we have forgotten it even people who work in smoke houses now with

all this sped up production do not know the old ways now it's wham bamm I have tasted real smoked

ham from Italy from different regions OMG it is unbelievable the stuff we have it dirt compared to

prosciutto ham and even among them there are some that literally will give you an org*sm

some hams are smoked and dried over years a slice you can read a newspaper through has more

flavor than a whole Virginia ham which is good.

I lived in the region of France Germany Austria and Switzerland and Italy WOW when I hit the lotto

I am so out of here.

Do not get me wrong I love my country but understand in order for all of us to have a slice of the

good life it has been watered down is you car a Mercedes NO are your shirts 400 thread count or silk

NO do your meals take all day to cook NO now there are quite a few negatives which is why I would

need to hit the lotto and even there they have had to water down things so low income people could

have something

everything here is mediocre the beer 3.2 yuck ham and sausage edible buildings concrete like looking

at white wall paper I lived in a building that was a 1,000 years old not that it was better but look at our infrastructure we should have mixed it more as it has all reached its expiration date at the same time

our houses do not last generations your children have to always start over and over again and the

land fills are now a toxic waste hazard our throw away society is destroying it self but that's

another topic

anyhow you need to have this book:

BUTCHERING, PROCESSING AND PRESERVATION OF MEAT

cattle hogs sheep game poultry fish

BY FRANK G. ASHBROOK

a manual for the home and farm

I have a shirt I keep it for sentimental reasons it is 30 years old 100% cotton made in Germany

triple stitched seams and trim real deer horn buttons khaki color has not faded I fell wearing it

and some more abuse besides and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

the nurse cleaned the blood out of it with peroxide so I would have something to wear

my button fly Levi's were a curiosity jeans were not common, and as tuff as the shirt

they turned into a cult so I do not buy any Levi products

I can still recall her perfume FUNNY.

MY point everything today is poor quality and made in Guanastan no it is not a real country...

but it's a place where all the sh*t comes from.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

WOOOO there Cowboy....I was asking about ..Amaranth...the plant...and if anyone has grown it ..LMAO

as far as keeping meat Im a nut on my preasure cooker.yes you can, can meat,a dear takes 25 to 30 quartes(use wide mouth,and depending on the size of the dear) to put up and it takes a couple of hours to get everything ready..and its takes over an hour an a half to cook,(see "Ball Jar" company for the exact time because of the sea level difference or any company that sells a preasure cooker).

I do realize your frustration and Iam IN your Amen corner about the products being produced today.Try finding old wide mouth jars at a decent price,Im luckey that yard sales are run by people that think that because they never used it it worth nothing,thier grand parents would tan there ass.So thanks for helping me NOT to build a smoke house.lol...