Sign in to follow this  
Vicioustom

Spear Heads

I have a little experience with spears, not a lot, but some. I've used them for food gathering, and learned a bit about them in passing when I was affiliated with ARMA years ago. I've been rolling the idea of picking up a spear head for a few years now, I can make the shaft myself.

Aside from Cold Steel does anyone know who makes a good spear head? Or is it largely the province of private craftsmen these days?

Guest kevin

i made a couple for my bob. i used the teeth from a combine. ground them into shape. i wonder if simply buying a cheap boot knife and taking the handle off wouldn't work just as well.

There are lots of ways to get scrape metal for many different types of spear heads. I don't really have a reccomendation for a company for you but I would think you could find some decent ones in a fishing section at a outdoors store.

Thanks for your imput guys. I checked that site Snake, they had a few options that intrigued me on there, I'll have to dig a bit deeper to figure out how the quality is on those heads.

As for the fishing spears I have a frog spear in my man cave somewhere, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of a boar spear I think. I may have to try my hand at making something, still pondering the whole idea.

Give the Cold Steel Bushman a look. There are two of them and for the money they are about the best all around survival tools I've seen. The plain Bushman is a good knife shape and the Bowie Bushman is actually a little better for use as a spear. I have both and love them both. They ar tough as nails and with just a little work are shaving sharp.

I consider a sharp edged spear to be a must for any BOB. My reasoning goes like this... One of the best ways to improve your odds is to think preventative in terms of injury instead of focusing on repair and treat after the fact. A spear works by keeping the action out well past arms length.

If you shoot, snare or trap an animal you do NOT want to give it a chance to injure you if you have to dispatch it up close. Infection of bites or scratches will kill you as surely as a bullet! Most of us won't have a lot of antibiotics on hand and those that you do have you want to hoard for as long as possible.

Up close and personal I'll take a good spear over a machete, sword or ax any day not to mention the shorter pokers. I usually haft my spears with a 5 to 7 foot handle that is heavy enough to make a good staff so it is good for a lot of things.

The nice thing about the bushman series is that they make really serviceable sheath knives as well as spears. You can carry them that way and use their shaft as a walking staff then slap them on in a flash if needed.

Some years ago I made a spear out of an ice chopper. It had a head that looked like flat heay blade which I cut and ground down into a spear point , the handle was about 5 ft. long and made of oak. It was heavy and stout enough to stick in a tree at 15 feet.

After that my aim sucked. I always wanted to hunt with it but I never did.

I've made spears and javelins for competition in the SCA, out of all kinds of things. If you could only have one spear head to carry (with the intention of making a spear with it later), I would pick the Bushman. Excellent construction and built to be used for actual chopping and thrusting (unlike nearly every 'collectible' spearhead you can buy).

For javelins and atl-atls, though, you can make astonishingly effective ones for less than 5 bucks each, using smaller flat body throwing knives, some copper tubing, a standard copper burr rivet & washer, and the handle from a rake (which is usually 1" diameter ash, much better than a dowel rod). I've made perhaps sixty of these over the past four years and thrown them accurately at 4" targets up to 30 yards away. The knives you want use are the 'mini' ones they sell in packs of 3,6,9, or 12. They are far too small/light to be used as real throwing knives by themselves, but the ones with straight handles and leaf shaped blades (usually wrapped in red or black cord with a tassel) are perfect for a javelin or atl-atl.

I'm not sure if I have any pics of them stored on my computer, but I'll see if I can find one to show you what they look like.

Edit: Here is a picture of the business end.

post-2047-13851497870032_thumb.jpg

Edited by survivalcyclist
tried to add picture

I love them. For the money there isn't much out there that is better for a general purpose survival knife. I've beat the hell out of mine splitting wood for kindling and it is still just this side of shaving sharp. Pine isn't very tough though. I got the regular Bushman first and then picked up the bowie version. The plain bushman is a better knife and an acceptable spear while the Bowie is a just great spear and a pretty good knife.

I wanted a spear because we have a bit of a hog problem in East Texas and unless you want to carry a canon I'm not sure that I wouldn't prefer the spear. I put the Bowie on a 60" heavy hoe handle and it makes a good staff and will for sure keep a hog off me. The survival reason is so if I want to trap hogs or even squirrels I can dispatch them quietly without getting to close. I've been bit by a squirrel and it SUCKED! That little SOB rose up from the dead like a zombie in the back pouch of my hunting vest. Like a dumbbutt I reached back there when he started moving. After that I started gutting them before I put them away!!! That thing tried to chew my hand off and it was UGLY!

Edited by Danm

Danm, you have the right idea for a spear. For centuries, they were the weapon of choice for villagers and pre-gunpowder armies. Cheap to make (compared to swords, etc), easy to maintain, and they keep you out of reach of anything with a short ranged blade/claw/maw. They are also useful for cutting down fruit, dragging burrowing animals out of their burrows, fishing in shallow water, and more.

In a modern survival situation a sturdy spear would just as useful as it was back then. A scratch or bite from *any* critter can mean infection and death, so being able to kill them from a few steps away is a good idea. If you live in snake country, a spear/staff while hiking can save your life too.

In my old age I just don't go far without a walking staff and since I have it I might as well have it prepped for a spear. A sturdy staff of anywhere from 5 to 7 feet long is just useful for a lot of things. The problem with guns is that if you aren't careful they will make you cocky and make you FEEL invincible. Believe me, you are actually easier to get if you cop this attitude.

Depending on a spear you will instead think stealth! I'm seriously thinking about making an atlatl and some light spears for throwing just as an exercise. They predated the bow and arrow and to some extent are more powerful up close than most wooden bows. They say that with very little practice they are rather natural feeling and accuracy comes along pretty fast. The problem with arrows is that they get lost or broken awful easily while a 5' light spear is easier to find and less fragile.

Edited by Danm

Danm, you have the right idea for a spear. For centuries, they were the weapon of choice for villagers and pre-gunpowder armies. Cheap to make (compared to swords, etc), easy to maintain, and they keep you out of reach of anything with a short ranged blade/claw/maw. They are also useful for cutting down fruit, dragging burrowing animals out of their burrows, fishing in shallow water, and more.

In a modern survival situation a sturdy spear would just as useful as it was back then. A scratch or bite from *any* critter can mean infection and death, so being able to kill them from a few steps away is a good idea. If you live in snake country, a spear/staff while hiking can save your life too.

Excellent recommendation SC ... and do not forget the rabid raccoon or other animal that you could come in contact with. I was just talking to a new friend who had to have the treatment after getting bitten...he had insurance but not something you want to go through...in a shtf situation it would be very BAD.

I just thought of probably one of the cheapest ways to make a spear with metal. Buy a set of throwing knives, sharpen them, set'em in a stick and there you go. You can usually get a set of three knives for like twenty five bucks

Got a cheaper option for you.. And VERY effective, escpecially for Atlatl heads..

Go to harbor freight and buy a pack of 10 or 12 Paddle/Spade drill bits. Take then to the bench grinder and grind the corners off to make them arrowhead shaped and sharpened. you can also make barbs on the rear edge with a jig saw. Drill a hole in one corner of one barb and attach cordage if you want to make them into a remeaveable harpoon type head. I made them like this as a kid and they worked very effectively.

Looking for a pic on the internet, I found this too...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33297636/A-Long-Term-Survival-Guide-Make-a-Survival-Staff

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6346