Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bart

Big Sis is watching

First post - I just ran across this and thought it might serve to start off this forum. Check out http://visiontoamerica.org/2898/government-to-monitor-social-networks-for-extremist-propaganda/

for the full story. In a nut shell, "A new strategy document released by the White House promises to “closely monitor…the Internet and social networking sites” in order to “counter online violent "extremist propaganda” as the federal government attempts to embed itself further in local communities under the guise of preventing domestic extremism." They will especially target the young and schools to increase the Government's involvement in the prevention of violent, extremist narratives.

Gee, that couldn't possibly mean us. Could it?

The government will always advance new technology and try to spy on us with it, fortunately they make the mistake of not realizing there mistakes and effing up eventually. Looking at our personal information on the web is an invasion of privacy to say the least. When "We" the people elected the people in charge of us we elected corrupt politicians, but then again, those words are synonymous anyways. You can't have a fair government, you can just try to. In order to get elected to you NEED about $700m in advertising money and (what seems to be less important these days) good reasons why you should be elected.

My government teacher once told me, " Politics is an alternative to violence", when it should be "Politics is an alternative to violence, but there are a lot of strings attached, we can take your money and use it for things we won't let you know about, trick you into electing corrupt officials, take away your sense of community and make you greedy, as well as destroy the planet, modify the food supply, and beat anyone that opposes us when the media isn't looking (and the list goes on)".

But at least the average middle-class family can be fooled by the fantasy world the government promises and be happy. You don't need be best friends with your neighbor, or support a local business, or support American made items, or support an Heirloom food supply (rather then the Agent Orange company making our food), you don't need to worry about ever having to go hungry or not having your medicine or losing your house, because the middle class family makes enough income to live in a happy world and pay for all there needs and most of there wants (which isn't going to last too long).

BUT when SHTF and the dollar is worthless or when the effects of global warming happen, everyone starts panicking. "Oh my God, I don't have any food, I can't afford my house anymore, how do I pay back my loans? the bank doesn't take my dollar anymore, neither do the stores, everything closed, I can't afford my medication, clean water, nothing!" And then the average people die, live a very hard life, or become MZB.

This is why I like preppers, I mean look at us, no matter the situation your in, we all have a plan for this, so when it all does fail we wont suffer the consequences that the "average" family will.

The government is a very controversial category, but this is my personal general rule.

"If you think something is right and search for every other possible reason why its not right and can't find one, fight for it". There's a few situations in particular I can think of but I won't write all that now.

Take a look at this, I don't like the show personally, but the last 4-5 minutes of the clip is interesting, it talks about how the government reads all of our chatting online, and using a program, to generate predictions for the future. The predictions part is interesting, but they read everything we type? That isn't right, and this is just what we are allowed to know.

Here's the link, specifically watch the last 4 minutes.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTYAjoROVe4&annotation_id=annotation_212950&feature=iv

this is why i do not have accounts on social networking sites, And I work in IT

Wardog,

you and me both. I am appalled by the folks who think their data is removed after x number of days. I keep telling folks if your information is on a computer over night, it is in a backup file somewhere. After 30 days, it is in 30 backup files. Those files get kept for years to decades. Not easily retrievable but if a serious reason (Presidential order, perhaps?) existed for looking, the data could be found. When I worked for the Phoenix PD this was such a big problem that I had to build a separate data base containing all of the court ordered expunges of records. When a query was made to the main data base, a query was also sent to this data base. The results were compared and if they matched, that record was not made available to the officer. It was the only way to be sure than an expunged record didn't show up after a computer malfunction caused a backup to be used. We'll never be able to 'disappear' but as long as we don't stand out of the noise we have a bit of a chance of not dealing with 'Big Sis'.

exactly, working in the IT field for the last 12 years has really opened my eyes to both the wonders and dangers of technology, It has its place but too many people have become too dependent on it to get through the day. I have come to have a love/hate relationship with it, Its good to understand and use it when when needed but if we got a huge EMP strike tomorrow I know I will be able to function without it, how many people are going to fall apart when they cant check their bank account or log into facebook or even text. let alone if .gov decides they need to more invasive in our lives then what?

interesting topic. my feeling is that we the people need to stand up for our rights but unfortunately we the people contains too many ignorant and unconcerned souls who are content to just float through life. it will be a long uphill battle because the support is hard to garner in numbers needed to make a change. too many people are happy to give up liberty in exchange for safety and handouts.

im not concerned with social media and do use it, but do not share the intimate details of my life, my family, my values and opinions and therefore it would be fairly useless to any of the governments yahoo's spying on me even though i find it infuriating

i do back up all files related to technology on paper, but in the event of a technological crash, it seems to me that any significant crash that truly causes dramatic results, it would affect not only me but also banks, mortgage companies and would impede ability to take my home or so on and so forth. i can see an instance where incorrect info in the computer puts mistakenly puts my home into foreclosure or something but thats what the backed up documents are for. to show proof of payment, deposit, etc etc. am i off base here?

am i off base here?

Bill,

not off base but perhaps a tad optimistic. When I worked Oracle Field Support I had a sign that said,"Blessed are the pessimist, for they hath made backups". That said, even with backups, a "Pearl Harbor File" with hardcopies of your important stuff is necessary. It might keep you out of Jail (or put you into it, unfortunately). The trouble with electronic data, a really good systems guy can "magic" data into a file without leaving a trace that he did it or can blame it on someone else. I've proven on a couple of occasions that it can be done. Not reassuring given the confidence folks have in electronics now. Keep your important stuff in hard copy and be prepared to prove everything. I'm just finishing up clearing up a mess with Amazon (they were a real help to me) where someone hacked my account and opened a couple of credit cards up. Amazon ate about $900 worth of Kindles and books. Their fraud division is REALLY interested in talking to the parties involved. I do everything I can to protect my stuff and it still happens. Always be ready to prove your case should you have to do so. OP SEC is always important and not just on physical prep items.

What if they didn't watch/listen/read? Can anyone say for certain the world would be a better place? I think a lot of people would wonder why nobody was watching if they didn't and some major event happened. I don't mind if the federal government wants to look at my pointless conversations I have on facebook, at least my tax$ would go to something that has to do with me. What worries me is the web history,likes/dislikes,etc(profiling). What would they do if they found out most people do not support them. I'm not saying that's the case at all but what if it were. Or, what if it didn't matter how many disagree or don't support. What will they tie people to or label people as to justify going after them. Strange days indeed.

I feel it is a bad idea b/c the liberals will use it as a gateway for more snooping into your life. It could lead to things like longer wait periods on gun purchases so that the "background" check can be completed.

Most of these big government people have an agenda far bigger/sicker than you and I can phathom and things like this are used to get their foot in the door with the old saying that if you have nothing to hide then why worry.

In my mind, searching my computer or phone is like searching my car or house. Get a warrrant or get lost.

The problem with surveillance is that even if you trust THIS president, governor, mayor, whoever they will be replaced by someone else eventually. All that data that they took is still there if it was ever in a government computer file. ALL THE DATA. "I wish we'd just get out of (name your least favorite spot here) - (name your least favorite politician here) was an idiot to get us involved!" might not get you in trouble now but in a few years with a new administration who decides that all of us disloyal Americans need to be rounded up it could send you to the re-education camps. One of the first things the Russians did when they took over Poland was to find all of the Polish resistance fighters (even the communist ones) and get rid of them. They had proven they would fight and so were dangerous. Same thing happened to the Viet Cong in Viet Nam. They were removed.

Your credit card purchases of food, equipment and even reading material is in permanent file. Right now the government doesn't go though those files (I think) but that could change tomorrow. I buy most of what I buy with cash, and I don't use the "saver" cards for most things. Records are searchable and I don't trust my future government. Just my not so humble opinion, but before you call me paranoid look at the history of the 20th century.

First thing the U.S did in WWI was put all of us, japs, into concentration camps. When the US opened their borders, first thing Castro did was release all his felony prisoners, and insane ayslumists into our country, in which we put into concentration camps. Whats wierd, when WWII ended, all the scientists and doctors were given jobs at various colleges. I firmly believe theres still 1 or 2 old bioweaponists that live somewhere in a 3rd world latin country. H1N1 for example, or the recent spanish flu outbreaks. 10 years ago, the first thing they did was watch every mosque. I'm sure everything goes into a permanent record. just umanned until a certain formula happens, and then your flagged for review. I know for a fact, your reviewed if you buy a certain poundage of fertilizer, where they come knocking on your door, type review. I'll go out on a limb here. Those throw away cell phones? i'm jus about sure, whoever buys one and uses it, and puts in all the wrong information on whose using it when you first turn it on, that the voice print is identified and flagged. how many dummies are caught, because they used their savings club card in buying it, then put the wrong info?

Did you know certain countries are not allowed to have Playstation Game systems of the 1st gen, the PS1. Some scientist figured out how to used the graphics card in it and turn it into a missile guidance system. There was a guy in NY that got busted for selling 20 PS3's to the middleast cause he didn't know there was an embargo. jus like right now, ABSOLUTELY no one, is allowed to sell US military surplus stuff outside the states. They watch Ebay like a hawk. Another reason why they want to tie your bankcard to your I.D. by 2012 is for tax purposes, and eventually fade out paper money. theres several companies that sell devices for any smart phone, credit card scanner and them cell phone companies are pushing hard for it, in which you can add the amount of paper money sales in if you'd like. its not the world wide WEB for nothing..

Rebel,

I make a hobby of collecting conspiracy theories. Rarely accurate, occasionally deliberately misleading, but interesting just the same. Most folks have no idea of what real intelligence work looks like. Often enough, the internet facilitates such things. For example, if I'm on an engineering site and some guy in another country's space agency is looking for information on how the van Allen radiation belts might effect micro-switches in a payload, it is considered an illegal export for me to answer the question. For several reasons, not the least of which is that in one case I know of the guy was working on nuclear weapons, not space probes.

Intelligence is just as interested in how much food you buy and how often. How much gas do you buy, how often and from where. All of your purchases contribute to your profile. Has your taste in reading recently changed? Your credit cards allows any decent investigator to build a fairly accurate picture of your life. Your call on using your discount card to buy the cell phone is spot on. Just like using a credit card to purchase a "gift card". One is absolutely tied to the other.

Every time Amazon or Ebay "recommends" something to you, it is because they are building an intelligence file on what you've purchased. Every time you store data in the cloud or on some large server somewhere that serves to provide you backups, you've given it to the federal government and anyone else (foreign interest perhaps - our "friends" engage in more industrial espionage than our enemies) with the skill set to take it. The collection of data from "cookies" is a huge source of information on your interests. Heck I can even report you directly to the White House ( http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/join-attack-wire-today if you think I'm kidding ) and put you on the fed's radar. I have friends who are self reporting just to annoy the White House. While I understand their viewpoint, I am not sure deliberately putting yourself in the spot light is a good idea. It is rarely the one big thing that triggers the feds into action. It is the history and perhaps changing patterns that flags investigation. Even sudden reduction in credit card use can indicate something. Best to just not stick out. No, I don't think I'm paranoid. The whole world really is out to get me.

I have often wondered, going a little far out too, that it would be easy for an agency to track people via their GPS. They know which one is your from your credit card purchase (very few pople pay cash for a large tickett item) or it is built into your car and that would be easy.

I worked for a large company in the past and I AM POSITIVE that senior management could tell the location of a company cell phone via GPS. Not that they constantly monitored the things but that they could find it if wanted or to make a case against someone.

if i was BIG SIS and wanting to follow people this would be the top of the list.

cell phones are triangulated by cell towers to tell where you are to 2ft without a GPS. if you were to call 911 right now on your cell, 98% of the country have that in their system to show emergency responders, exactly where you are. good thing for some lost hikers that got turned around in the dark. Supposedly, thats the only time they're spose to use that feature. i know some people that actually take the battery out of their cell phone, all the time, cept to call, then promptly take the battery back out. i have a theory, they could turn your cell phone on, and listen and see where your at, whenever they felt like it, (cell phones with camera's, most holders have the camera facing out...) For some reason, Apple, programmed any pictures you took with your iphone, to be gps stamped to that pic. any GM car with Onstar, everything is recorded, how fast you drive, when, where, how long, etc. They get into that info, should you blow the engine up racing, still under warranty, or renting.

good info.

i had read where someone proved the onStar is always on theory by suing GM after an accident. The car owner had not subscribed to onStar but the sued on the grounds that onStar uses its info on all cars to help with law enforcement and therefore they knew the car had rolled over several times and did not call emergency crew since they were not a "custormer". i think now they call for everyone if you air bags deploy or car rolls over.

the cell phone thing i was told helped the company prove a rightful termination case b/c they could prove that the employee was not out of town/funeral/sick/injured b/c they tracked them around at the local mall, golf range, etc....

Bart, I would love to meet your friends, lol. Anyways, with SHTF in mind. Would you bring/trust a gps/cell phone? I'm reading up on map skills. Think of you general level of paranoia, how much would that multiply if you end up being right. After telling everyone on my list "I effing told you!" I'm probably going to hide from the satellites and terminator robots. Bringing a GPS or anything that could be tracked like that would make me feel like someone was always following me (I have proof they are!!!). Oh and the sad thing about things lately, I look crazy just for using cash and not using banks. It's not like I'm hoarding silver and trying to barter at the grocery store or anything, come on.

Bart, I would love to meet your friends, lol.

Some of my friends are perhaps slightly lacking in social graces, but I'll take them to watch my back anywhere, anytime. Just never, ever lie to them or betray them. They tend to get annoyed with that type of behavior.

Would you bring/trust a gps/cell phone?

As I learned in OCS "that depends on the tactical situation, Sir!" First up, if we are talking TSHTF like Ike or the March Tsunami in Japan - yes, I would use them and trust them. Heck, I might WANT to be triangulated on and found! If it is a martial law, government taking over all means of supply, everyone report to the shelter kind of thing then absolutely, positively I am removing the batteries from my cell phones and GPS, I am removing the OnStar antenna from my vehicles AND grounding the antenna outputs to the vehicle frame (did you remember your OnStar system? It works even if you don't subscribe) and I'm avoiding traffic camera locations. No satellite radio either. Remember if it radiates, you can be tracked.

If it is some other type TEOTWAWKI, the GPS MIGHT be useful to GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge). I'd use it to get out of a major city but I'd double check the sanity of the device. For the first 48 hours of a sudden event it is probably pretty good. After that, the government might have messed with it so you don't know. If you have some idea of jamming the GPS signal, remember a jammer is an emitter and unless you are military trained in jamming technology, that jammer has just become target #1. (Ask Sadam's radar operators how wise it is to emit on the modern battlefield).

After telling everyone on my list "I effing told you!" I'm probably going to hide from the satellites and terminator robots. Bringing a GPS or anything that could be tracked like that would make me feel like someone was always following me (I have proof they are!!!). Oh and the sad thing about things lately, I look crazy just for using cash and not using banks. It's not like I'm hoarding silver and trying to barter at the grocery store or anything, come on.

Buying excess items in times of plenty is preparing. Buying excess items in times of scarcity is hoarding. Just remember, everything you do is establishing a profile on you. Sudden changes in that profile can be easily detected by even primitive programs and raise flags for further investigation. Being the "grey man" is how to stay off of HSA's radar. You do that by being as much like everyone else (in appearance anyway) as possible. No purchases that stand out, no clothing that stands out, no speech that stands out, etc. There is a blog article on being the grey man. You might check it out.

one little mention of his majesty barrack hussein obama on my blog had me followed around and my phone was tapped for six months. . im no threat to his majesty , but i still don't like what hes doing to america and i will not be quiet either. and yes im a bit paranoid about it. but it doesnt stop me from living my life the way i see fit, and not the way "They" see fit. screw em all. the government should be afraid of the voters, there are more of us than there are of them and its high time they understood it and take it to heart. what the voters give, the voters are idiots...

Having or not having social networking sites, and buying stuff with cash is not going to make any difference... We were all screwed the moment that we accessed a website with "survival" in the title...

Fair enough. There is no security for anyone who has ever been 'on grid'. That said, the sheer volume of traffic means that if you remain consistent and don't do something to flag yourself you are very likely to remain undetected. If you've ever purchased a gun from a dealer, for example, your records are there. On the other hand, any guns purchased through a private source are not in the database. Buying 5 AR's in Texas from a dealer right now would get you on BATFE's radar immediately. That said, buying one probably doesn't do much to percolate you to the top of their list.

Bob, they really followed you? what a great way to spend money, useless police details. What was it you mentioned? What if you were just like no, I'm following YOU, or could you just ask them for a ride to save gas? I mean if they are goin anyway...what if you go to a water park? did they bring swim suits? government is fun. I think Ready is right, we joined a survival website, not a shut up and pay your taxes you insignificant sheep website. Oh jeese now I'm gonna get follwed, who wants to go to Six Flags?