Sign in to follow this  
JohnBoy

Firing M855 followed by M856 Tracers....Close range....How Effective ?

The following story/question is purely Fictional.....And would never actually be tried at home...

Here is the Scenario: This thought came up after a friend of mine ask me if I thought there was a way to completely stop a basic vehicle.....or how could I get someone to abandon the vehicle.......When you only had a few seconds to respond....

So.......Close quarters....out about 25/50 yards.....The unwelcomed vistors are in a vehicle.....Would Running a few rounds of M193 or M855's into their gas tank...followed by a couple of rounds of M856 tracers.....Do you think the tracers would/could cause it to ignite ...which would be the sole purpose of this fictional scenario ....???

I have only had experience in sending tracers down range out to and way over 100 yds.....Where you can see them having reached full capacity

And for some reason I just can't seem to talk my buddy into taking a run at me in his truck to test this theory out !!!B)

1:9 twist....but at this range....Stabilizing the round is less important than igniting the target.....

Thoughts....Opinions......Volunteers with a full tank of gas !!!

JohnBoy

I've seen a few vehicles catch fire from small arms fire, but I've seen more not (And I'm talking fully perforated with every fourth round being a tracer). So I wouldn't expect it to very often. Makes me want to buy a few cars and try it out lol. In any event I've not seen a car explode from being shot up yet, unless it had ordinance of some sort in it. The ones that caught fire just burned.

Tom,

agreed, sir.

JB,

Lot of variables. If the tank is full or the round passes through the liquid, probably not gonna happen. If you put a tracer round through the vapor in a 1/4 filled tank, could happen. Depends on caliber and O2 content in tank. If you are thinking of punching holes and then igniting the escaping fluid, maybe but it is still a very inconsistent result.

Gas vapors are heavier than air so puncturing the tank would start a pool of liquid and vapors toward the ground. A moving vehicle would probably disturb that enough so that you might not have a sufficient supply of vapors to ignite or sustain a fire. In the tank, it is again back to how much vapor, how much air and whether the round penetrates the liquid or vapor. If you have a .50 BMG tracer that would be a different story as the shock would likely rupture the tank and flood the area with vapor. Still not a given but more likely.

Just my not so humble opinion but I wouldn't hang my survival on it unless I had no other choice.