Sign in to follow this  
RommelFamily

What's the most likely weather scenario and how to prep?

WOW..

So God did a bank shot and we got a moon.

thats cool.

What's is really neat is that it explains what happened to the dinosaurs. The moon is actually receding from the earth very slowly. If you calculate that rate of recession and work it backwards, you will find that at the time of the dinosaurs the moon's orbit was only 20 ft above the earth! :P

What's is really neat is that it explains what happened to the dinosaurs. The moon is actually receding from the earth very slowly. If you calculate that rate of recession and work it backwards, you will find that at the time of the dinosaurs the moon's orbit was only 20 ft above the earth! :P

Not quite. The moon was formed billions of years before life appeared on earth. Actually, Matts' bank shot has large implications for the formation of life on earth. There is strong evidence that without the moon and its tides, life never forms! Just a hypothesis (someone's idea that isn't strong enough to be a theory yet) at this point but interesting. The whole plate tectonics thing can be traced to this event though as can a substantial portion of the heat at the earth's core.

It is not at all improbable, however, that some of the debris from that collision formed the rather large 'earth crossing' asteroids that killed (prime suspect) the dinosaurs and may yet do us in.

Whether it was left over from the formation of the solar system or a near miss by another star's systems, those highly erratic rocks have changed the look of the earth on more than one occasion.

Plate tectonics is a cool study in its own right and I enjoy it but that's not my field. I just dabble in geology stuff. A great many things are related to the moon and its effect on humans and the earth in general. It is causing the earth's rotation to decrease. It is also moving away from us and one day we may lose it entirely. I won't be here so I'm not too worried about it. Astronomical time is measured in eons of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of years. (Usually - some cool exceptions when it comes to stellar birth and death!)

Edited by Capt Bart

Capt Bart, It wasn't THAT bad of a joke! ;)

Okay, just to get even, it doesn't appear you have read the latest issue of Air and Space where the math now suggests that two or more moons were actually formed from the orignal collision.

Edited by Rod

Capt Bart, It wasn't THAT bad of a joke! ;)

Okay, just to get even, it doesn't appear you have read the latest issue of Air and Space where the math now suggests that two or more moons were actually formed from the orignal collision.

I haven't seen that, I'll look it up.

I haven't seen that, I'll look it up.

Read it. That is a very interesting idea. It fixes some of the problems with the 'one moon' theory and provides for some interesting possibilities.

Thank you for the heads up.