Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

pvc pipes prepping

Guest kevin

i'm not sure how useful pvc would be for the city prepper. but i can't make it with out the stuff now. i'm sure there is a ton of ideas on using it for projects.

i built our chicken pen by driving pieces of rebar into the ground 12 ft apart in a row of 4, spaced 5 ft between , to form a rectangle. slip one end of a 2inch diameter 20 ft section of pvc on to a rebar stake bow the pvc and slip the other end on to the opposite stake 12 ft away. do the same on the remaining three sets of stakes.after your frame is up brace it by screwing a 20 ft section of 1 inch diameter pvc into the arc of each of the frame with 3 inch dry wall screws( nip them off with pliers or they WILL get you). repeat the bracing step half way up each wall. that will give you a 12ft x 20ft frame. to farther brace the pen i drove 6 ft t posts on each end of the lower braces and wired them together. then draped it with chicken wire.( the wider the better, 6ft works nice.

my latest project is to make a fore stock for my 1400 winchester shotgun. it'll be gaw-key but the cheapest iv'e found is $50 and i just am NOT going to pay as much for it as i did the gun. ya i'm cheap)

anyone have any other uses i'd love to hear them.

Hey Kevin I seen a clip on youtube where a guy was making a walking stick with pvc pipe he shows you how to do make and the items you can place inside of it, I'm thinking of trying to find the clip the again and make a few to place inside my BOV just incase I have to fall back to my BOL.

Guest kevin

on the way matt...gotta wait till my wife gets home to show me how to put them on the puter. i'm a tecno illiterate, and intend to stay that way. can't miss what you never had. i didn't know web sites like this existed until my nephew started calling me a prepper. i said what the hell is a prepper? he showed me a few sites and i had to go buy a lap top. its been worth it . iv'e learned a lot from you guys. and i'm VERY relieved to see i'm not alone in this.....makes me have hope for what happens after.

Guest kevin

post-1764-13851497861699_thumb.jpg

This is the pvc fore grip i made today. Worked out better than i thought it might, but took a drimal tool, a propane torch , and 4 hours. Had fun tho.

This is the chicken coop i was describing. cut me some slack on the condition. its 10 years old and i have firm plans on doing some work on it and the rabbit pen area this spring.

post-1764-1385149786236_thumb.jpg

post-1764-13851497860945_thumb.jpg

Guest kevin

new pvc project i'm working on. an air bladder backpack that can be charged with a bike pump tied into a pvc air rifle that shoots marbles. wish me luck.

Keven ...Excelent job...Your 12gauge looks like mine,does it have a poly choke?I had mine cut down to 18 1/2 because I did not the chokes..

Im inspired,Im purchasing 1 1/4 thinwall pipe and useing it to carry my 3 pc. bamboo Fly rod.

Ok Ill post when its done.lol

Guest kevin

no poly choke. just a modified screw in. but my wife's 1400 has an intermediate screw in so iv'e got options.

how does the action of yours work since you cut it down? iv'e heard that it can cause the gas system not to feed right.

Guest kevin

good to know. probably leave mine long for now, iv'e got a mossberg 500 with a 20 inch barrel, so im covered on the short stuff. have you ever shot slugs out of yours? not sure if the chokes can handle it or not.

The chicken coop design works well for protecting plants from freezing as well. Build the arch, cover with what ever (even plastic since it does not touch the plants but fabric is better).

Has worked for me several times and keeps the HOA happy since it is an easy take down after it warms up.

Guest kevin

i was thinking about building one(green house) if we get the new place. or should i say when.

I keep a 2' section of 3/4" under my driver seat. Ever been hit with that? I have, hurts like a sonnofabitch. Swing it with feeling and you'll take someone down. Now that's just theoretical, it's just a spare piece rolling around from the last equipment job I re-plumbed. :rolleyes:

I use PVC a lot, I keep several sticks of all sizes in the garage. Good stuff and easy to paint.

PVC pipes are Big Boy tinker toys! One great use for it is in making cache containers. I take 4" and after loading it with my stuff I glue caps on the ends. On one end I have placed a schrader valve. This lets me first draw a vacuum and then refill it with nitrogen to about 5 psi. MAN this will keep things in pristine condition for a long long time even if buried! If you make a few of these any AC man can draw it down for you for a little of nothing.

PVC pipes are Big Boy tinker toys! One great use for it is in making cache containers. I take 4" and after loading it with my stuff I glue caps on the ends. On one end I have placed a schrader valve. This lets me first draw a vacuum and then refill it with nitrogen to about 5 psi. MAN this will keep things in pristine condition for a long long time even if buried! If you make a few of these any AC man can draw it down for you for a little of nothing.

This is an awesome idea, especially because I'm cheap and this strikes me as a cheaper way to make caches. B)

They really work well and are good for a lot of different things. I have my seed stocks stored this way I didn't draw a vacuum on them I put nitrogen in and purged it that way and left it sealed with just a little pressure. No oxygen makes a lot of things last longer. I do AC work so this sort of just came to me one day while I was pondering a gun cache. If you have the money, 6 to 10 inch pipe would allow some pretty large container.

Check out the Burningman web sites there is one where the give you plans for a PVC Quanset hut! Been in one out on the playa, much cooler then out in the open and wind and water proof. A bunch of rebar stacked 11/2 PVC pipe and a big ass plastic tarp and you are golden. I've seen them stand up to 60 mph winds and blowing dust. Oh, forgot the 100' of 1/2" or bigger rope.

Add two smaller tarps and you would have a three + season shelter. Add another slightly larger tarp and a butt load of pine needles and you got yourself a winter lodge! It all is just an adaptation of that henhouse.

This is an awesome idea, especially because I'm cheap and this strikes me as a cheaper way to make caches. B)

If you have to bury them, make sure to put them in deep enough if you get frost in the ground in winter so they're below the frost line, or they will get pushed out, I think.