Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John

Hunting Your Bug Out Hideout

36 posts in this topic

Every thing here is good advice and I wont take the bait about Making Man Traps(OH I want too).First asses your ground as to what it can grow.Buckets with propper dirt and gravel(drainage) can be used around the Homestead.Catch and release,I fly fish,transport to a local pond.Purchase eggs in spring,pheasent,grouse,turkey.Release and they will adapt or die.Yes In Wva and Va.there are many who put out Plotts for dear way back in the hills,hunting clubs mostley.Yes you need to plant apple trees for you and the dear,even in heavy hardwood areas,ok so it takes time and planning .This is what you do while picking your BUG OUT Location.Can it support me and family for years to come?Can I raise enough food in a 100x50 garden?What do I plant?Yes you can.Drip farming under a hoop 12 months a year.I have looked at 3rd world countys and what they are doing.Its what will happen here, so learn about your ground first and what you can do in a small area with little to no materials,learn to scroundge,ADAPT.

I am committing myself to put into action small scale Hoop farming,I use drip farming now,1 galon jugs and small tubing,you can make these your self.My neighbors already think Im nuts hanging old milk jugs on stakes,but I canned 18 quarts of tommatoes,and gave away buckets this year and it was a dry year.

Dont let your PRIDE kill you,think outside the box..will post photos in spring about the Hoop plott.. keeping it simple..

Oh and about Man Traps.............................thats another 10 pages later......I loved Ft.Lost in the woods and my DIs just got home from the jungles.ooops sorry..

ready, plant black seeded simpson seed lettuce in a large plot , get seed from southern states. makes good lettuce and i dare you to keep the deer and rabbits out of it. they love it. smoke meat with hickory

or oak or pecan bark. i prefer pecan because it gives the meat a rick full flavor that everyone enjoys, brine the hind quarters and smoke for 3 weeks at 85 degrees and youll have some sweet meat for the takle. great for jerky also.. happy hunting all

I like it just avoid fuel that will contaminating the soil it would probably also be a good time to plow fire breaks while you have fuel.

I was figuring some good homemade alcohol would burn fast and yet not really contaminate the soil so much. Plus if I didn't need to burn, it would give me fuel or a barter commodity. Good catch on the "what you use"...

Has anybody else considered cutting back the preditor population as a way to make more small game available? Planting gamebirds? Right now,we've been seeing mountain lion sign at my BOL-may have to hunt it down before time for calves.

Has anybody else considered cutting back the preditor population as a way to make more small game available? Planting gamebirds? Right now,we've been seeing mountain lion sign at my BOL-may have to hunt it down before time for calves.

rezmut, I have a question about planting gamebirds. Feet up or heads up? :o

well just a note the only bird that is not federally protected is the cedar wax wing maybe a feral pidgin although they are part of the dove family, the rest are not yours even if they are on your property your water is not yours and the land you have is rented for taxes.

if your in an area with medium size trees and overpasses and go hungry your a lousy hunter and here is where a ladder or rope

bow with a flu flu arrow sling shot even a long stick and look for nests or setting birds eve squirrels nests at night they are trapped

by darkness they may move or fly for a distance but will stop and hunker down if you miss you may can find them and try again

snakes and lizards frogs all eggs of any of these minnows with a minnow net or home made one you can eat them like sardines.

if you have a flashlight and a badminton or tennis racket or snowshoe whacking birds is easy.

after a light snow finding rabbits early is possible depends on your area.

Trust me ...you will not need to train the deer to come.....they already know there is an open spot ... they like edges so you might as well plant fruit trees and nut trees around the edge of the garden plot...just be sure to use wraps and scent deterents to give them a chance to get enough size to survive the rabbits and deer. PS the wraps often encourage more rapid growth (act like a mini green house) Look into selective harvest of mature trees on the property ..... could provide additional prepping cash as well as open up the understory which would encourage secondary plants and add possible sites for more fruit and nut trees. It there is a good size herd in the area you will need to look into a specialized electric fence to keep them out of any garden you plant ... otherwise they will be happy to pick the peas and shuck the corn for you. If the garden site is near the center of the property consider clearing a twenty foot fire break around the perimeter....then plant it with forage soybeans to short stop the deer visiting the garden area. Also consider a hoop building and vertical farming grow more in less space over a longer time. On a somewhat different note you may want to consider the web enabled game cams as a security option...as they would allow you to keep an eye on the property (that assumes yu have good cell service in that area).

Also with partsmans post, be sure to not get caught hunting over a baited field when and if you decide to plant the said resources. my best friends step dad back home in bama got caught doing it and it cost him some major $$$$. it wouldnt hurt to make friends with the local game warden.

as far as the first part of this thread I would not use conventional shooting to take game

for a while as noise would bring in others but cable snares and flat spring and live traps are what I am going to use

until I see a glimmer of normalcy.

pellet guns and colibre powderless 22 shells very quiet will take birds rabbit and squirrel size game.

making multiple loops in a long cable using short pieces of tubing to hold the loops {loose not crimped}

kind of like a chain of paper dolls hook them between 2 trees deer hogs will get caught and when they run

lights out it takes a bit of testing of size loops height and look for trails but it works with little noise.

this rig needs 1/4 inch cable due to its length garage door cable is great for single or double sets.

for leg snares but have less chance of catching large game but are good for rabbit coon etc..

box, dead fall figure 4, funnel, spring noose, stake traps tiger pit {variations} and others are used world wide

and are successful but you need many and for varied game my advice is to get a book or cd there are many on the net

and this is what you need to practice instead of a walk in the woods is how and what to scrounge to make these

from found materials as our forefathers did poaching the kings critters that is why we came to America because

it is still that way in many countries and it is getting that way here where the government owns / owned everything

somewhere we forgot that and it is biting us in the azz again.