Sign in to follow this  
BlackBeard

Hello from SoCal

Hey Hows it going? Well About 2 weeks ago I watched the NATGEO show Doomsday Preepers. Since then I have been to website after website, Sporting good stores, Army Surplus Stores, Hardwares stores, a gun show and several other chain stores like walmart. trying to put a BOB together.

After watching the show with my son I found out he had already had been working on his for sometime (he is 14). So it has become something my son and I can do together and we are having fun doing it. The wife really isnt on board with it,but she is tolerating us as we drag her along with us.

I picked up an O.D. Condor 3 Day assault pack at the gun show for about 60 bucks, so that is what I am working on for the BOB. It seemed pretty similar to the BFM camelback bag I already have. That pack works great I got it in 2006 and have used it a lot for travel with in the US used in to go to several countries in Asia, and use a lot as my photography bag. I was going to pick up a new one but the price went up on them. I think I paid $165 for mine, now the are over $250. I got a seperate pack because I wanted a dedicated bag, not having to switch out my gear for when I need the bag for other activities.

I picked up a case of MREs for the BOB then I discovered the survival bars with 3600 calories reading a post here. So now I gotta get some of those to... one thing leads to another...further reading I discover something new... find a new website with more interesting facts... and so on and so on.... Prepping appears to be full time job :D but having fun doing it.

well back to my intention of this post... Hi, new guy here in the Santa Clarita Valley in Southern CA, just trying to have my family prepared for what ever my come our way.

I look forward to learing what I can from here.

Welcome to the forum. There are alot of smart folks here with some great ideas, so take it slow or we'll have you parted with all your money...lol. There are some really good lists here for gear items that you can peruse and then personalize for your plans. Again welcome and look forward to your addition to the site.

I think he was trying to convert me, and he did a pretty good job of it. Now with me on board gear is a little easier for him to get. We have been going out and hiking out in the Placerita canyon park trails. Hitting the shooting range. Working on out BOB and Home prep.