Sign in to follow this  
Jace

Military camo or Hunting camo

Just curious what everyones preference is to using military style camo patterns(any) or using hunting style camo. Or perhaps none at all and you just prefer wearing flat colors(Olive green, khaki, etc).

If you're worried about blending into a particular environment look into gray scale matching. A digital camera that can do black and white photos comes in handy here. Often times it's not so much the color that will help you avoid observation, it's the vibrancy or lack thereof. We had a demonstration of this in a unit I was in, they had a guy wearing red, blue, and yellow, but because it matched with the gray scale of his surroundings we couldn't see him on the edge of the wood line at 100 meters. Interesting stuff I think.

I personally like flat colors when, or civilian everyday patterns in earth tones, like brown, white and black plaid. If I don't want to be seen it will work well enough, but doesn't get anyone to take note of me otherwise.

If I were concerned with going all out "Super Snake Eater/Ninja Warrior" I'd go with a hunting camo pattern tailored to my region. Military camo patterns are made to work well in a wide variety of areas and be easy to supply in bulk. Civilian patterns are made to work amazingly in a given area and no expense is spared on the good stuff.

If I'm in any sort of a civilian environment it's plain earth tones or hunting camo at most. if you dress up like a soldier people will assume that's what you are and expect you to help them. Actual soldiers will be able to tell your not a soldier based on how you act, wear your uniform and talk to people. The later group might not like you running around dressed like the national guard if your not even military or a vet. If you must have tacticool camo choose a style that has been rejected by the military, used by a foreign army or is no longer in service. Impersonating a member of the armed forces some where they are deployed (national guard disaster relief) is a big no no.

If you are going to wear U.S. military camo and you are not in the military then make sure that you do not have the US ARMY etc. tape on your shirt. Nor should you have any unit patches on your shirt or cap.

I do think that the new civilian camo in some parts of the country is better suited. All you have to do is take a photo of the surroundings where you intend to operate and take it to a sporting goods store and see what matches. Keep in mind that everything changes with the change of the seasons. Down south there is not much need for snow camo. When there is snow you can use a white sheet. (Do Not make it into a robe).

I wear both. As long as the colors match my area surroundings.

Good job Amature. I also will do my best to match the surroundings. I am in a diverse area of woods, water,

small cities but away from large cities. multi-cam, digital and greys are my selection for camo.

I am opting for the orange triangle vest. Kidding. My outdoors clothing tends to run to the dark gray and brown shades because those seem to blend in just about as good as some types of camo and don't like to tag myself as "that guy" when I stop to get gas and coffee on the way out to the hunting lease. I will keep reading but this is my posture at the moment. Thanks for all the great ideas, though.

Honestly with a little reading and practice you can evade the need for either. I wear and pack muted natural tones and have burlap and netting in my packs. Basic gillie work is easy. When trying to remain undetected it is more important to practice proper noise and sensory discipline. NO smoking no perfume keep noise to a minimum.

Animals are spotted by hunters one of two ways. Shape this is what camo helps break up. Then by movement and sensory. movement can not be avoided but can be altered to reduce its disruption.

Camps are often found by smell since wood smoke can travel for miles even more then the visible smoke.

IMHO,

Military camo is more of a uniform.

Hunting camo is works much better in the woods.

Blending in to urban area might just be the absense of camo.

I like black, coyote brown, kakhi, olive, etc...work in all ways.

TexasBill and Mrdahut,

You both have the correct approach in my opinion. Yes, camo is effective when used properly but look at nature. The forest animals tend to go gray or brown. Careful movement, proper selection of space, and dim coloring works very well.

The benefit is that I can wear such clothes to work and it's OK. I'm wearing a suit or dress slacks and a shirt. The key is that they are unremarkable in normal times and lend themselves to remaining hidden in abnormal times.

It is our actions as much as our clothes that make us stand out but being wrong with either can get you into big trouble.

It is our actions as much as our clothes that make us stand out but being wrong with either can get you into big trouble.

Well put sir. I certainly wouldn't walk into a Ballroom wearing camo. I'd wear a Tux.

If I'm planning on wearing camo, I'm planning on disappearing. Being gray, and hopefully keeping my plan/location undiscovered. If by chance I'd have to go check my long traps or hunt or fish. I'd wear camo. "If the shtf".

when looking at your camo you want to remember the target indicators and then try to combat them. shine, size, shape, color and contrast to background.

There isnt much you can do about your size so just stay low, make yourself as small and unremarkable as possible.

Shine is pretty easy to fix, just get dirty or put paint, mud, ash... on anything that would catch the sun light and reflect even your face and hands.

Shape can be fixed by adding vegetation, wearing a blanket or sheet... something that will create an irregular outline of your body. We all know what the human body looks like and when someone is scanning the area your outline will stand out immediately. A person hiding by a tree looks like..a person hiding by a tree.

Color is more difficult but generally its easiest to start light and go darker if need be. look at the area you will be operating in, start with a tan or light brown base then add the greens as necessary. Dont use black, it isnt a naturally occurring color in nature, unless the area you are in is burned or something like that. Also when using greens dont go to dark, you would be surprised how a bunch of lighter greens add up to a dark green and dark greens add up to black.

Contrast to background. Be aware of whats behind you, and whats behind whats behind you. You dont want to be a camoed up green and brown blob in front of a grey building.

The German snipers in WW II had a saying that still makes perfect sense today. "Camo 10 times, shoot once." Your camo will have to adapt to your area of operations. Make something that can be added to and adapted to different environments. My gillie is made for the woodlands and all of its varying types. I also have different gillie nets/ bed sheets for the varying dessert environments, snow, and grasslands. You can start with either civilian or military camo and just add to it. The multi cam is really good and lots of the civilian stuff is good but usually not very adaptable. most of their prints will only work in a specific area.

Hope this helped. Just thought I would share a little bit. Hope no one minds

Well put sir. I certainly wouldn't walk into a Ballroom wearing camo. I'd wear a Tux.

If I'm planning on wearing camo, I'm planning on disappearing. Being gray, and hopefully keeping my plan/location undiscovered. If by chance I'd have to go check my long traps or hunt or fish. I'd wear camo. "If the shtf".

Hey guys around here I've seen people wear camo to weddings lol....

She is to slender to be from WVa.

LMAO

But being gray is more adapable than cammo,Blending in where ever your at.

My scrubs stick out so I dont shop in them,My hunting camo sticks out so I dont shop in them,My suit sticks out so I dont hunt in it.The Deer only laugh..

JMHO

She is to slender to be from WVa.

LMAO

But being gray is more adapable than cammo,Blending in where ever your at.

My scrubs stick out so I dont shop in them,My hunting camo sticks out so I dont shop in them,My suit sticks out so I dont hunt in it.The Deer only laugh..

JMHO

I try and keep most of my clothing in kahki, green, brown, earth type tones.

Saves money as I wear those under my jacket and bibs for hunting and also has good multi use. If you wear kahki brown olive, etc...then you can easily conceal yourself in the woods of field.

Makes stump humping take on a whole new meaning IMO

must be from mississippi......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598[/ATTACH]

I agree with BAMAMAN natural colors I wear worn denim pants being still and keeping low

but the most important is keeping your mouth shut and watch your footing ground noise

is not natural and will give anything away.

I prefer earth tones, nothing extremely bright or dark. Khaki is very common here in Florida, and its well suited to the weather. If I were going to dig in somewhere, like a hunting shack or something, I'd choose civilian/hunting camo specific to the terrain. Otherwise, a generic 'fuzzy' color/pattern would be my choice - best for a wide variety of backgrounds and non-threatening in urban/civilized areas.