Sign in to follow this  
Dogrotton

Emergency Planning for Schools

This is for the school. We live in an area were earthquakes, volcanoes, ice/snow storms..... are an everyday concern and the school currently does not have an emergency plan.

That is tough. Unfortunately, earthquakes also happen in snow storms which really makes it tough. I think I'd approach it from two directions. Those things you have warning for and those that will be a surprise.

With 60 students (sounds like my elementary school two grades to a teacher and maybe 140 students) you probably don't have much of a physical plant. The first item I'd look for is a 'shelter in place' spot. If the building is damaged in winter, where will you go? Where ever that spot is (and it might be the main school building) I'd begin to stock supplies in that place to provide support for the students for a week. That is a reasonable expectation for supporting the students until help arrives.

If you are in a Lahar flow path, you must have a way to get the students out of harm's way; in winter. That could be tough. Storms are a little easier as there should be some warning. Since you didn't mention tsunami I assume you're not on the coast.

Off the top of my head, once you've selected a shelter spot, then you start with blankets, water, light, food for that week.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? We can build from here. My first thoughts is that the food can be dehydrated for ease of storage but I haven't thought on that very much.

I am looking for information and ideas for developing an emergency response plan for a small private school. The school has 50 - 60 students in grades one thru eight.

(1) You should be able to find some info by searching the net.

(2) List the possible things that could happen

(3) List a initial first, second, & third response to #2

(4) Example for #3

(a) stay at location (B) move to a more secure site © disperse the people to their homes... Then decide what you will need to accomplish this.

(5) Talk to local EMA providers to learn what they can teach/offer.

(6) If in a flood area or the mountains locate and talk to those who have been through previous situations,

(7) Locate escape routes for situations listed in #2 keeping in mind effects of situation on route

(8) Test you plan(s)

(9) Fix what didn't work

PS You failed to say if this was a personal thing or you were responsible for the school.

Edited by Partsman

At the website, countycomm.com , there are some really excellent door lock straps for classrooms. The are secured around the classroom door's actuating bar, as all class room doors have to by fire code, open out, this strap prevents that from occurring, in the even of a lock down. Also, check with the school administrator/principal, to see IF, they have liasioned with local law enforcement. THIS IS CRITICAL FOR THEM TO DO. The school should provide the facility, for local law enforcement to practice "active shooter response" so they KNOW the school layout before having to show up to a problem.

Also, there are several web sites you can peruse that offer class room size 30+ students a 72 hour kit, including porta-potty, water and food. Your local law enforcement agency responsible for patrolling the area the school is located, would LOVE to come to the school. Also, invite the cops and the fire.fighters to school dinners (FREE of course) so they can get to known the students, staff, parents, by sight. Cops especially, are like cats, once you start feeding them, it's hard to get rid of them! I know, I was one for a long time. You can also see what emergency supplies the school has on hand, for. earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic emergencies, etc. and what their PLAN is, for each. If they do not have one, volunteer to help develop and implement the Emergency Plan, in conjunction with Fire, and Police/Sheriff services. Those agencies will be very helpful to you, all you have to do is ask. Hope this helps a bit.

Only thing I can add at this time is one of the most important...

In the event of a fire, earthquake or whatever, after the building is evacuated...the teacher MUST take roll call to make sure everyone in their class is safe. I know things can be hectic in those situations so they have to take the extra time to do that.

Redundant to mention it I know, but it doesn't hurt to mention it.

Only thing I can add at this time is one of the most important...

In the event of a fire, earthquake or whatever, after the building is evacuated...the teacher MUST take roll call to make sure everyone in their class is safe. I know things can be hectic in those situations so they have to take the extra time to do that.

Redundant to mention it I know, but it doesn't hurt to mention it.

vonBayern,

The obvious, known thing is often enough the thing that is forgotten because EVERYONE knows you need to do that! Always embarrassing and often enough dangerous so please do not apologies for mentioning what the rest of us forgot because it was OBVIOUS.

Thank you.