Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Dehydrator - A Dry Subject?

Guest survival101

Which Dehydrator do you have experience with, and how do you like it? Pros and Cons for folks planning to invest. What size and why? What foods do you regularly dry? Thanks.

Couldn't really tell you the name of mine. I've had it for years now and can only tell you it's round and has about 6 trays.

I've only used it for making jerky so far, but have plans to try other items. I will admit that I recently tried drying some blue berries and may have left them going for a bit too long, but then who doesn't like blue berry dust on their morning cereal or ice cream ? :rolleyes:

just bought an Excalibur brand, 3900 model, refurbished, spose to do 15 sq ft of space in 15 inch pans, 9 high. they have their own website and warranty it for 10 years, and carry replacement parts. got it for the warranty and plan on dehydrating everything from strawberries to ingredients for beef stew like moutain house.

Watching this topic with interest. I am experimenting with dehydrating now with limited success. I have the little round dehydrator with 5 or 6 trays that my husband has used for years to dry his bhut jolokia peppers and it works great for that. But I tried some bananas in it yesterday and was less than thrilled. They stuck and just took so long that I am considering a larger/more powerful unit. I've heard raves about excaliber. Walmart has a square 10 tray unit for 130 bucks that I might research today and see if I can find some reviews on it.

Guest kevin

i made my own. the show GOOD EATS had an idea i liked, NO heat dehydrating. the host(alton brown) said any time you add heat your slow cooking ,not dehydrating and showed how to make a dehydrator using a box fan and a few racks. works great. it doesn't make my jerky crisp(which i hate). does take a bit longer but i think its worth it.