Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Paintball guns??

Guest survival101

Hurt a bit. Worth keeping for Bug In to discourage unwanted visitors of the human or animal kind? Or better to sell them off and use the proceeds to sink into other preps? I kind of like the idea of playing with them, to increase my hand/eye coordination. Don't laugh too hard, just weigh in, please.

Guest survival101
I would sale and by ammo with the cash, always remember to pay cash for ammo and weapons and we all know why that is

That's worth repeating. Always pay cash period. You'll actually get your money's worth. :D Don't forget to ask for a cash discount on big ticket items.

Do you still play with it regularly? Do you have younguns' that need to learn safe firearm practices? Yes prepping is important, but if you have to give up everything that makes life enjoyable today to just survive, ask yourself why.

We want to be survivors for our kids and for our comfort, but if the forces that will be are relentlessly hunting us down, I'll either cache weapons for later and go with them or I'll save some bullets for my family and go down blazing.

We're prepping to preserve our lives, that includes the things we enjoy doing.

If you aren't using it anymore, sell it. If you are using it still, enjoy it.

On safety: Yes, on paper paintball is safer than bowling, but take off your mask, and it becomes a lot more dangerous.

Edited by Gilla

I'm with Gilla on this, but then I like to play paintball and don't consider it a prepping thing so much as a fun hobby. If you still play, then play. If they are just taking up space then sell them. They are like anything else that is a nonessential item but that you might still enjoy using, like guitars or sports equipment and such. Just my two cents.

Completely forgot that you can get of pepper balls for those puppies. You still have to worry about refilling your air or co2, but I can get 1200 shots out of a 45 ci, 4500 psi tank. That's a lot of lead. The concentrated powder is supposed to be more irritating as well. Co2 will give you even better shot proformance.

Not sure if they still make them, but used to be able to get hunting scents in "paintballs" also. Skunk scent has repelled more "attackers" than "Marblizers"....lol. It also worked well for clearing buildings... altho my friends and I are no longer welcome at that particular field.

I haven't played in quite awhile, but enjoyed the "renegade" woods games. I agree if you have a use (play paintball or teaching youth) keep it; but if it's collecting dust, I'd try and sell and stock up on other preps.

Hurt a bit. Worth keeping for Bug In to discourage unwanted visitors of the human or animal kind? . . . ..

Humans can shoot back so paintball might just start a fight when you should have used a gun.

Hurt a bit. Worth keeping for Bug In to discourage unwanted visitors of the human or animal kind? ......

They work well on domestic dogs and let the owner know they are pissing off an unknown neighbor when they return home with paint in the fur.

I would keep the thing for fun and kids. If SHTF or you ever needed to get rid of it you could probably trade it to someone desperate for any type of gun and get soem supplies.

I just do not sell guns b/c of the constant increase in value.

In the great state of Michigan, paintball markers (guns) are considered a firearm, painting up anything in town is a no-no. Check your local laws before painting your neighbors dog.

Your standard paintball can be fired from a slingshot, I would think the pepper Ball would be alright as well. Rattling around in a pocket might be an issue for the carrier, but in a hopper, should be a bit more protected.

Edited by Gilla
Spelling

In the great state of Michigan, paintball markers (guns) are considered a firearm, painting up anything in town is a no-no. Check your local laws before painting your neighbors dog.

Anyone can have in in Bama but my college landlord taught me many years ago how people feel about paintball guns.

I've never used a paintball gun but wonder if you could use the pepper balls with a sling shot or would it smash in your hand while you are trying to pull it back.

Someone tried that my last trip to the sandbox. It didn't generate enough energy to really disperse the powder. Didn't break at all on a fleshy human either.

Survival101: If you have someplace to go play woods-ball keep them, good fun, outdoor exercise, and keeps gun fighting skills sharp (I realize it's not the same, but it has a lot of similarities, and is about as close as you can get without simunitions or actually tossing lead at each other)

Guest survival101

High marks for creativity, Gilla. Tom, that's actually what we plan to do. It's on my bucket list. But I was curious what you all would say. And Bama? how do people feel about paintball?

High marks for creativity, Gilla. Tom, that's actually what we plan to do. It's on my bucket list. But I was curious what you all would say. And Bama? how do people feel about paintball?

quite a few places here to go. for a while the sporting goods place I visit had a lot of stuff but seems to have lowered their inventory [while expanding everything else], so i dont really know how it is going down here other than kids seem to like it.

my comment about the landlord was he did not like us, back in college, having a mini war in the breeze way of the apatment complex and having pink paint all over the walls. Of course we did not know "how it go there".

Guest survival101

Can't believe he didn't appreciate the new paint job. Ah, such is life.

I think the paint ball guns could be useful from the stand point of training as well as a deterant. If there is one thing that is true...Practice makes perfect. Learning to "hunt" your fellow man and get a telling shoot could well be a valuable skill set, not to forget the learning curve for clearing a house (burgulars). The pepper balls and scent balls would both distract the unexpected "guest" and you could always carry a more deadly backup. It isn't always best to go with maximum force and this would give you an alternative. Ever been hit by a paint ball that has been in the freezer? With the right gun and proper placement you might get more than their attention.

Whoa! Paintball wars are pretty fun. Those little sumbeaches hurt like hell too when shot in the lower

back behind the pads. We used to paintball war alot. But there is no way in hell I'm going to use one

for "defense" unless I'm paintball war'un.

Please don't tell the neighbor I'm the reason his mutt was red, white and blue last year. LOL

Worth keeping for Bug In to discourage unwanted visitors of the human or animal kind?

Speaking only to this question, no - paintball guns are not worth purchasing/keeping as a deterrent. They do not hurt enough or reliably disable even average humans, much less angry/determined/armed ones.

If you already have them, and have fun with them, then keep them unless you need the space or want to sell something to raise some cash. But I would never seriously consider any paintball gun as a suitable weapon to discourage unwanted human visitors, regardless of any exotic ammunition that you may have for it.

If you have time/space available to talk to the bad guy, point a real gun at him and tell him to go away. Al Capone said "You get farther with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word" and he was right. If you don't have time/space to talk to the bad guy, then shoot him with a real gun. Nothing says 'stop that' like getting a thumb sized chunk of flesh blown out of your body with a loud bang. The muzzle blast, the sound, the serious injury - all of these things will deter the bad guy AND his friends better than a paintball.

Consider this - even the lowly .22LR round can kill a man (example: Ronald Reagan nearly died from a single hit, and James Brady was permanently disabled on the spot). You can carry or conceal a .22 pistol much easier than a paintball gun, and you can store many more times the amount of .22 ammo in the space used for paintball ammo.