Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Old Supplies

The other day I guess some of the guys on our fire department were going through an old med bag and throwing away the old supplies in it. They through away a bunch of old 4x4 gauze pads. I've got a feeling I should've had them save them for me. What are your thoughts on old medical supplies???

Reusing and recycling EVERYTHING will become a valuable skill! Think before you throw things away, or ask for advice on what else it could be used for. We are all here to help each other, it's amazing what knowledge lies untapped in this preparedness community, but I know we are all eager to share especially when asked.

Thanks,

Nurse Amy

I started looking at things in a diffrent way when I started prepping.

You know the saying, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I've actually wondered if, shortly after a SHTF scenario in which you didn't have a cache to fall back on, scavenging at a county dump would be a useful way of coming up with supplies (especially building materials for hardening a shelter or setting up defenses). You wouldn't want to wait too long because, well, it will just get more disgusting as time goes on, but there's so much wasted useful stuff. Assuming you have the ability to clean/sanitize items you find, it could be a good alternative simply because you would likely have the place to yourself, which wouldn't be the case if hardware stores and construction sites are being looted.

Ambulance cleaning

yep got mine that way have a 20 gallon tote of kerlex Kilng and other neat stuff

nasal cannulas O2 masks Tape and such my dentist let me get some angled

flushing syringes. and I have plenty of povodine swabs and 4x4 and other gauze.

UV light and anything on the exterior packaging is null and void just in case.

put it in the tote and saved a lot of money.

Ambulance cleaning

yep got mine that way have a 20 gallon tote of kerlex Kilng and other neat stuff

nasal cannulas O2 masks Tape and such my dentist let me get some angled

flushing syringes. and I have plenty of povodine swabs and 4x4 and other gauze.

UV light and anything on the exterior packaging is null and void just in case.

put it in the tote and saved a lot of money.

Recently I have seen some used autoclaves for sale on e-bay. Used to rid of germs on hard objects such as metal instruments. As a matter of fact, of course not practical for bug out, you can purchase most OR items.

I had a friend who actually had an autoclave and we were able to autoclave a lot of instruments that had been opened but unused in our aid station. I have tac boxes of discarded medical supplies and excess that we did not have room for so it was tossed. Sutures, staples, 4x4s, Chest Seals, Israel bandages, Casting wrap, kurlex etc.

Meds. on the other hand are a different matter. I need to start working on them.

Edited by Acehardrive5
Correction and addition

Prepping cost money, but there are ways to get stuff fore free!

If u live close to the coast, try to find a company that re-sertify life rafts and boats. The medication and first aid materiell has to be rotatated and the materiel that is close to expire wil be discarded.

At least the company i get my first aid equipment from are just happy to get rid of it, they have to pay fore discarding it.

They allso have flares,rockets,longlife food,and beeve(?)bags (sure u know what i meen) and best off all everything fore free....

If u dont live close to the sea, find the companys on internett, send them a polite mail and offer to pay fore the shipping.

Ranger