Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

List your top 5 guns you'd want for SHTF and why you picked them

Ruger 10/22 w/folding stock;

Benelli M4 tactical 12 ga;

Les Baer Police Special .223./5.56;

Kimber Custom Combat Gold .45; and

Glock 30SF .45.

For spare, I keep the Ruger .22/.22mag single six; S&W mod's 642 and 640 both .38/.357's.

My Turn:

1). Beretta 92 FS - Because it's one of my favorites and abundance of available ammo.

2). AR 15 .223 - Primary mid-range weapon, hunting capable. Abundance of available ammo.

3). Remington 870 12 ga., pump shotgun - Utility of purposes, abumdant ammo, lethality.

4). Remington 700 in .270 - Long range accuracy, availability of ammo.

5). Marlin 22 LR Bolt action rifle - Because it's the only .22 I own. Cheap, plentiful ammo, small game hunting.

#1 A handgun (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP)

#2 A .22 rim fire rifle (Rugger 10/22 etc.)

#3 A shotgun (12 or 20 gauge)

#4 A bolt action rifle (Any multitude of calibers)

#5 A semi-auto rifle (AK or AR platform)

Obviously you can substitute any of the above with a caliber or platform of choice (revolver for semi-auto handgun, etc.) but with these you are able to hunt and protect your family and property accordingly. This is assuming that you have the ability to feed and practice with all of these as well.

Ar-15 / 5.56/ .223 upper 20+ barrel - hi-power scope graduated marks for distance & .22 conversion; 6.8 upper 16.5 barrel low power scope graduated marks for distance.

Mossberg 500 shotgun / 20 inch barrel screw in choke tubes also extended adjustable choke tube for hunting. Black powder barrel for Mossberg 500 also for hunting.

Remington 700 switch barrel - .308, .243 and .22-250 barrels.

Glock 23 / factory .40 S&W barrel & mags / 9mm conversion barrel & mags / .22 conversion slide & mags.

S&W Governor - shoots .45 Long Colt, .45 ACP & .410 shot shells.

All chosen for usefulness and flexability.

Ruger Mini 14 .223- very dependable and accurate - owned it since 1984

FNAR 7.62X51 w/Trijicon ACOG - very accurate - picked up at a steal

Ruger 10-22 Tactical - another accurate Rifle

Mossberg 930 SPX 12GA - would like a companion KelTec KSG for fun

Walther P99 9mm - also have P22

These are my choices because I already own these weapons.

My first gun would be the Mossberg 500 pump. Bullett proof, easy to operate, easy to fix and get parts and

ammo for

Second is my savage 22magnum bolt action. Easy to fix light weight ammo so carrying several hundred rounds isn't bad and pretty accurate. It will also take larger game such as deer if your have your shot well placed.

3rd would be my 20 gauge 870 pump for the wife

4th would be my HK USP .45

And 5th if possible and able to carry it HK 93 in 308 caliber with 12 20 round mags

Marlin 1894C- .357 magnum/ .38 special. Accurate, dependable, a proven deer slayer max range i would trust myself to ethically take big game is 150 yards, and I wouldn't be against taking small game with it but 50 yards max for rabbit or any other about that size. Light weight as well.

Ruger GP-100- .357 magnum/ .38 special. Awesome backup to the marlin and the same ammo for both. I would feel comfortable shooting at man sized targets out to 100 yards.

Ruger 10/22- .22Lr don't need to say anymore on this one.

Kimber 1911 TLE/RL II- .45 ACP never had any foul ups or jams even when very dirty. I feel comfortable shooting at man sized targets out to 50 yards with it.

Winchester model 70 coyote light- .308 a bit on the heavy side but you can't argue with the .308 for hunting/ defense.

The most important thing when choosing any gun is find one that fits and you bond with well. Practice is another key the more you do of it the better you will be.

1. ruger 10/22 stainless steel with a synthetic stock

these have more accessories to custom fit and give the right nomenclature for each individual.

2. ruger MK 1, II,or III stainless or synthetic frame

a sidearm is a last ditch defense arm I want less weight for more total rounds 10 pounds = 1,000 rnds

3. North American arms mini master 22LR / 22mag convertible stainless steel

so your never "unarmed" and compatible caliber with those above but a powerful tiny mag for use.

4. AR in 5.56

this caliber is the white rice of calibers there is more .223 / 5.56 than any other caliber except .22 LR

parts and magazines are abundant and ranges beyond 500 yards

5. Remington 870 pump 18.5 inch barrel

with #4 buckshot it's a meat grinder with slugs it can drop an elephant with steel BB's a chi chi bird

12 gauge more shells sold verses other gauges.

.308 although a great performer and longer range try to find "elmo" at 750 yards if he's trying to hide

and weight with optics and ammo if you have to bug out will force dumping one or more of your other

weapons to offset the weight.

any confrontation will deplete your ammo to critical levels a weapon with out ammo is a heavy paddle

as a group it seems to be the general Idea that it would last a indeterminate amount of time this should

raise concern for enough ammo for a long duration bug out here is why.

350,000,000 in the U.S. give or take

there are only 3,794,083 square miles {including water surface area}

divide this you get 92 people per square mile.

a mile = 1,760 yards per side equaling 640 acres divided by 92 =

6.4 acres for each person

subtract vertical mountains desert and areas that lack water with me so far.

A square enclosing one acre is approximately 69.57 yards, or 208 feet 9 inches per side

so do you really need a .308 and are 300 rounds going to sustain you for 3 months / 90 days

because your going to run into at least 1 person every 100 yards and if he is waiting for the next

foot drager your it.

and if half the people croak that is still 1 person in 200 yards sooooo Party On.

here is the elephant in the room WATER with out underground water sources surface water

is not near enough for all of us and dying sick and weak will stay near water polluting the supply

and where do you think where all that water in your street drains go? rivers lakes and streams

if the cities are full of disease and a lack of sewer treatment or water all that neat black ooze

will drain to low points and floods, droughts and winds will move it around.

And even on a good day 10% of all people are mentally Ill now with out

medications it will be a bad thing now add the perverts and rapist that will

look upon this as a GOLDEN opportunity if New Orleans did not wake you

up for numerous reasons I have wasted my time here...

Edited by juzcallmesnake

And even on a good day 10% of all people are mentally Ill now with out medications it will be a bad thing now add the perverts and rapist that will

look upon this as a GOLDEN opportunity if New Orleans did not wake you

up for numerous reasons I have wasted my time here...

You know snake sometimes I read your posts and they make perfect sense to me and other times I can't follow a thing you are saying. I think it depends on whether I am on my meds or not! :o

Your 10% might be low.

Remington SpeedMaster , uses all 22 ammo Short, Long and Long Rif.

Remington 870 20 inch bar, and an 8 shot tube

Remingtom M700 308 Hart re-barell #7 contour with Leupold Mark 4 3.5 x 10

Springfield M1a standard on a Sage Stock

Colt Series 70 custom 1911 .45acp

The only ones I would wish for are the ones that are loaded and available to hand. I would rather have a single shot 22 with bunches of rounds than an M16 I couldn't get ammo for.

I am currently working on aquiring suitable firearms, though. My #1 is a 12 gauge pump for defense. #2 is an M6 over & under .410 / .22 Hornet for backup and hunting. #3 is .357 revolver. #4 will probably be a .22 rifle. #5 if I ever get that far will be some type of battle rifle. I say "if" because there are a zillion things more important than a spray gun.

Barret 50 cal

Ruger 10/22

Colt government 45

Springfield XDM 45

Remington 870 12 ga

twolf,

I'd love to have a Barrett; but either a Barrett or any other .50 (like a Grizzly Big Bore which I might actually be able to afford one day) or a Lapua .338 would be so expensive I'd have to use it and so heavy I wouldn't want to carry it. While I'm not a fan of "you can carry more ammo" if the caliber doesn't do the job (how much .22LR would I need to kill and elephant?) I look at the .50's and think, yeah, I could take a deer as long as I had ammo but how much could I carry? I'd be able to carry a lot more .308 and cover as far as I could with a .50 given terrain. I'd love one, but it isn't a "survival" gun. It's a "wow, that's cool" gun.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Guest kevin

i agree capt........but the cool factor is WAY up there....and as a defensive weapon ....the report alone would send em running. don't mind me, just trying to justify my want into a need.

My guns are as follows:

.30/06 Sporterized '03 Springfield, Scope and synthetic stock

.22 Marlin 795

.223 M-4

.357 Revolver

Interesting how many on this forum chose a wheel gun over an auto. I carry autos everyday and they are great guns. Mine are chambered for the .357 Sig. It is an awesome round but I would not want to be trying to find extra ammo for it in an upsidedown world. When I am hunting, or generaly spending time in the brush, I still carry my revolver. Revolvers are simple and dependable. I don't have to worry about bumping a magazine release or finicky ammunition. If you are shooting questionable ammunition, you can depend on the revolver for the next shot and I have had better luck firing reloads out of a revolver.

My Springfield is a great gun and I prefer a bolt gun for dependablity.

Those are the guns I have and I really don't see much point in changing any. If I were selecting from scratch, I would probably opt for a .308 bolt like the Savage Scout and go with an AR 10 or SOCOM to use the same ammo. I would stay with the Marlin .22 but would opt for the Papoose and continue with my .357 magnum revolver. If I were to add to this I would go with an accurate .22 pistol to carry while hunting with my bolt gun. Small game usually shows up when you are looking for something else.

Edited by Gus

Kevin,

I agree - on a WOW scale of 1 to 10, a Grizzly Big Bore is a 12 and a Barrett is a 15! Sigh, I wish it is a need ... like I need it to keep my Blood Pressure under control because punching 1/2 inch holes in paper at 300 yards is STRESS RELIEVING beyond belief.

Gus,

I noticed not only the number of revolvers but the number of folks who had two. If I had it to do again, I'd get a .357 that had the 9mm cylinder to go with my .45 Colt with the .45 ACP cylinder. These two guns give me access to 5 different calibers. The flexibility is just too enticing to pass up in a survival weapon.

Just my not so humble opinions.

Assuming no limit on cost? Hmmm...all right then:

Ruger 10/22 rifle (.22LR) with TAPCO collapsible stock, Aimpoint Micro H-1 sight, and an AAC suppressor

Beretta Px4 Storm Type F subcompact pistol (9mm)

H&K MP5 SD submachinegun (9mm)

Kel-Tec RFB bullpup rifle (7.62N) and an appropriate optics package

Kel-Tec KSG bullpup shotgun (12 gauge) with forward pistol grip and a light/sight package

The 10/22 is compact, lightweight, quiet and accurate. Perfect for discrete hunting or pest control, and my wife can shoot it all day long with comfort and control. I'd probably toss a drum magazine in the kit, too, to go along with the other 10 & 25 rd mags. We would include plenty of subsonic ammo for this in our supplies. This is her long gun for any kind of medium to long range shooting.

The Kel-Tecs are both bullpup weapons, very compact and easy to carry. The rifle uses standard .308, and is as good as any other semi-auto battle rifle I'd consider carrying, except its about 2/3 as heavy and half as long. This would be my long gun for any distance fight or taking dangerous animals. A reliable passive night scope would be excellent but not really critical.

The shotgun is pump action and has a 15 round capacity (7 rounds in each of the dual magazines, plus one up the spout). Dual magazines means you can carry two types of ammo at the ready, which could be very handy in certain situations. With reduced recoil loads, my wife can use this very comfortably, even though its a 12 gauge. This would be her close quarters/area defense weapon of choice.

The HK submachinegun is an old friend of mine - the integral suppressor doesn't require subsonic 9mm ammo to be quiet, and I know from personal experience that it is accurate and lethal in close quarters. This would be my close quarters weapon of choice.

The subcompact Beretta is the 'carry everywhere' pistol, and its one of the only pistols that seems to fit both our grips comfortably. One of us would be wearing it at all times, depending on the situation. (If we were allowed 6 guns for this list, we'd add a second Beretta and both carry at all times.)

That would pretty much cover everything my wife and I might need. Size/weight/reliability is a prime concern, followed by ammo availability. Suppressed weapons add another level of security by allowing us to attract less attention. All of those can be carried/slung on our mountain bikes or in the cab of our pickup truck, as well as in/on our backpacks. The difference in size between my wife and I means that conventional weapon choices would end up 'his gun' or 'her gun' because of ergonomics. None of these is too big for her or too small for me. All the ammo types are commonly available in the US, and even after SHTF we could probably scrounge or barter for more of it.

Realistically, I'll never be able to afford them all (unless my ex-wife *and* her lawyers get eaten by zombies first), but its fun to dream eh?

Edited by survivalcyclist
spelling corrected

Ahhh Capt must you pull my head out of the clouds on the Barrett?? I realize that 99 percent of the time it doesn't really have a place in a survival situation but I was just dreaming, ah to dream and hope are the foundations of survival but you are correct in your observation. To revamp my answer I guess I would switch out the barrett for a Remington 700 chambered in 300 winmag

I noticed not only the number of revolvers but the number of folks who had two. If I had it to do again, I'd get a .357 that had the 9mm cylinder to go with my .45 Colt with the .45 ACP cylinder. These two guns give me access to 5 different calibers. The flexibility is just too enticing to pass up in a survival weapon.[/i]

Just my not so humble opinions.[/i]

You are so right Capt. The extra cylinders for interchanging to use different ammunition are a real good idea. We all seem to want to select firearms that fire common rounds to be found readily. If that firearm can fire multiple types of ammunition, you have increased your odds of keeping the firearm loaded. I wish there was a double action available with interchangable cylinders.

10-22 with sling, 25rnd mags and assorted odd extras

Mossberg 500 12ga with tactical stock and several barrels and chamber adapters.(You can do anything with this set up)

Pre64 model 70 Winchester in 30-06 3-9 Leopold over iron sights

Ruger 357mag custom trigger and Packmyer grips

Winchester 94 Trapper 357mag sling and Ammo belt

Over the years this list would have included various ARs and such but now that I'm older with two SS hips I will be of a more defensive nature. If worse comes to worse I will play dead and try to get them in close and I will go out with my battle ax in hand sending my entourage ahead through the gates.

Edited by Danm

survivalcyclist,

I looked for over a year for the Kel Tec RFB. I actually got to handle one at the local shop but I could not buy it for any price. The owner said there was at least a 2 year back order on them and he would not sell his. Sounds like Kel Tec may have a winner with this gun. It sure did feel nice against my shoulder. Sigh, I can't have EVERYTHING I want but if might be convinced to sell something to buy one when they become readily available.

survivalcyclist,

I looked for over a year for the Kel Tec RFB. I actually got to handle one at the local shop but I could not buy it for any price. The owner said there was at least a 2 year back order on them and he would not sell his. Sounds like Kel Tec may have a winner with this gun. It sure did feel nice against my shoulder. Sigh, I can't have EVERYTHING I want but if might be convinced to sell something to buy one when they become readily available.

I think I've seen them listed for around 1600, but that is far and above any budget I'll ever have for guns. I don't think one of my kidneys would fetch that much, lol. But its on my 'fantasy five' list for sure!

After looking at all of these posts again, I agree on the Ruger 10-22 with several hig capacity and regular magazines, it makes a dandy survival and in a pinch defense firearm.(betternthan rocks or a hard look)

I am also a guy that likes "logisiticall attractive" calibers, so, I favor the 9mm, I KNOW it works on predators.

Have to agree on the 12 gauge shot gun, I have pumps, SXS, and Semis, all of them are shorter barreled for closer work-jusy my preference. Have to place a vote for the AR-15 platforms woth LOTS of extra magazines

For longer range, I'll go with "logisitically attractive" Moisin-Nagant that is sporterized with new stock, bent bolt, scope. It is heavier than I like, but it is extremely accurate even with old corrosive ammo (that,s what Windex is for anyway) as well as hand loads and commerically available and newer surplus ammo. It,s a good round for vehicles, and anything that walks upright or on four legs or Sasquatch in North America.

AR - 5.56, easily available, light recoil, very reliable w .22 upper.

Remington 700 - .308, very accurate, can hit targets out to 1,000y

Sig p226 - 9mm, very accurate and reliable, easily maintained

Remmy or Mossy semi-auto shotgun

Ruger .357

All are easily maintained and cover each aspect well. Long range/hunting, medium range/groups of threats, close range/training. Ammo is easily found for all.