Sign in to follow this  
VIS 9

Flare Guns

Has any one decided to buy a flare gun? Not just a small pen gun flare type but one at least 26.5m/m. With the recent influx of flare guns lately I decided to buy one of the Polish flare guns. Reason being that they fire parachute flares (I have used up all of my pop flares) and I can some time see the need for illumination. I can not call for the 81s to light up my life so this is the next best thing. The hand held pop flares were good also. So when you need to put a little more light on the subject and not totally give away your position as you would with a flashlight these guns are great.

The secondary aspect is that it also fires smoke and clusters. You can, with your group, have a pre arranged color of smoke for different reasons. If you have commo with your group, when you pop smoke have them identify the color of the smoke on the radio before you clear them to come into the OP. The clusters are just for signaling.

Well, what about it?

Great idea. Sounds like something a small community could do. Although, I'm sure there are easier ways to do it.

A Flare gun would also be good for starting a fire, aside from signaling and communicating. I've actually looked into buying one before but I thought they were a bit expensive for my taste. If you're a boat owner though, I think the expense is probably worth it.

Exit,

The flare guns are somewhere around $50. shipping included. The flares are around 35.00 per box of 10. I got mine from Militaryshooters.com nice folks to do business with. There are other places with the same things just google 26.5 mm flare gun. The one I received was like new so then I purchased another one which is also Polish but a different mod.

To start with I purchased 3 different types of flares. You do not want to purchase just 1 box as there is a $25.00 hazmat fee on each shipment no matter how many boxes you get. Also this site sells the flares at a cheaper price, around $3.50 per flare. But in one box increments. I am very pleased with my purchases.

If nothing else....the 4th of July is around the corner.

Go ahead, light up your life. Would look nice over the water.

I got an H&K and insert 12 ga. adapter and some other goodies

do not remember whether it was sportsmansguide.com or cheaperthandirt.com where i got it

kennesaw Cannon makes a 22 insert that makes it a gun but it is legal to have there are

CONSIDERATIONS but read up on it first.

I am going to make some cayenne pepper shells found a load and got 100 fiocchi hulls so I am

ready to get it on, thinking about doing some smoke and flash rounds.

need to do a bit more research here is a link to a great company for shotgun loading and info.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

just a note here a 12 ga. adapter allows you to use 12.ga adapters sounds funny but it does

the aluminum adapter is what you want I had a bunch of older 12 ga. flares the new ones are

stepped so I had to bore mine out so I could make my own.

BUT NEVER fire a 12 ga. shell in it it would probably break your wrist or part your hair

but dragons breath sound nice LOL

Snake,

How are those 12ga flares at illumination and what is the duration of the illumination? I know they are good for signaling but I would imagine that they are too small to keep a parachute flare up and burning too long, that is if they make parachute flares in a 12ga.

Hi VIS 9

Not that great good for night signaling as they get attention

but as far as usable light no

as a weapon it will scare the sh*t out of someone long enough to find a rock

and some are dangerous even at close range.

what I like is they are legal anywhere as they are an emergency signaling device

double check legality as laws change and stupidity reigns.

I just like the idea of rolling my own {reloading / loading} it seems like there are an unlimited

possibilities.... another use for magnesium LOL

VIS 9

No I have not, but I am trying for heat close in this seems like it would be good for distance

as I recall that is a can opener and it dose not seem to matter how thick the can is LOL

and grease and oil is the medium I like to work in I consider myself an artist {tongue in cheek}

and some combinations will not leave the barrel and your hand might end

up as a flipper instead of a hand so a "bench test" session would be

in order

IMHO

Edited by juzcallmesnake

rayz

yea at the regatta me and all my yachting buddies popped some 1970 Dom Perignon

as we took a turn around the bay and rung in the new year and fired a few red rain

flares to ring in the new year.

well not really I sat on my porch and watched the local rednecks around a bond fire

waiting for one to fall in and have to call the ambulance or a fight as it worked out

a cat fight was very entertaining as they manged to disrobe each other one looked

rather "talented" the other i really couldn't see was face in the dirt.

then I went inside and ate and went back out for round two............

Snake,

I just have to ask. Was that a Martin Baker seat you were sitting in while watching the entertainment? If so, I love those things. If you are at a ball park and they hit one over the fence you can reach down, pull the handles and catch that fly ball.

woot! catfight in the mud!!!sounds like good times snake! lol, yup we had red, green an white star clusters as well as rattled some windows with the sims ...s@#$ that was 30yrs ago... how time flies...

Snake,

I just have to ask. Was that a Martin Baker seat you were sitting in while watching the entertainment? If so, I love those things. If you are at a ball park and they hit one over the fence you can reach down, pull the handles and catch that fly ball.

yea the MK16 high speed low drag LOL

well in my day it would have been the MK7 or 8 but I heard these were hot stuff

I am just glad I never had to leave town on one....

add on here

I never liked the Idea of everything about my survival I am

sitting on and soon to be dangling from my arse.

and a water ditch with my finny friends is not what I consider a

extreme sport or survival vacation

IMHO

Edited by juzcallmesnake

VIZ 9

yea me neither I flew over many parts of the ocean and saw shadows that did not jive with

anything I ever heard of they might think they have everything cataloged but i am not so sure.

done a lot of diving and there are some large and unfriendly as well as tiny pretty and deadly

seems like the find new things and act like they have always been there like box jelly fish

I do not recall those in any safety information i ever saw or read IMO